Daycare rules

Posted on | February 26, 2010 | 8 Comments

I’m in need of some practical advice. The month of February has been… lackluster. J has been sick for most of the month. In fact, this is the first week I haven’t missed any time from work due to his ear infections. So imagine how awesome it was to realize that something is … again… wrong with little J. Last night he couldn’t take it. He was awake for most of the night and had to have his face buried into my chest or he was sobbing. This morning (after another red poop… still freaks me out) I took his temperature. It’s just shy of 102. Now I know that’s not all that high for an infant but here’s the kicker. Daycare has a rule that if the baby has a fever over 101, they can’t come to daycare.

So here’s my question… do I take him anyway and pretend I don’t know he has a fever? Because odds are that will buy me a few hours of work before they realize he’s sick. Or, do I do the responsible parenting thing and keep him home? I just don’t know. I know he’d rather be home but I *need* a full week of work for the month. Next week I’ll be out on Friday and then again on the following Monday so this is sort of my one shot deal at a “real” work week.

Any advice would be appreciated in the next, oh, thirty minutes. Ha!

Also… still no sleep. I may shoot myself in the face later today. Stay tuned.

UPDATE: So I took all the advice to heart and although I was very very fond of Cyndi’s advice as it sounded the most like something I wish I said, I chose to bring J to work with me today. He’s happily sleeping in his car seat at the moment so I’ve gotten a fair amount done so far. Happy Freaking Friday!

Comments

8 Responses to “Daycare rules”

1. Cybil
    February 26th, 2010 @ 1:20 pm

You don't want to hear this – I would probably keep him home. Can hubby stay home with him so you can get a full week in?

2. Cyndi @ 6 Ring Circus
    February 26th, 2010 @ 2:15 pm

I have been guilty of the "load them up with Tylenol and send them until they kick them out" approach on several occasions. Sometimes you just have to break the rules to keep your world from falling apart. If that means one or two other kids get "infected", I am SO sorry. But chances are your kid got my kid sick in the first place, LOL. I promise you it will get better. Our kids were sick almost constantly for their first full year (maybe two) of daycare but now they could roll around in a vat of H1N1 and not even get a sniffle. Daycare is great for producing invincible kids. :o)

3. Rebekah
    February 26th, 2010 @ 2:15 pm

I'd keep him home and try to work from home. My daycare has pretty draconian rules regarding fevers and I've found it's better to keep C. home with some vague excuse about "not feeling well " (read: raging fever and exploding diarrhea) so I can take him back when *I* think he's ready rather than their rules allow which is after 40 days and 40 night post fever and only with a tablet inscribed by Moses himself that C. is well.

4. Jessica
    February 26th, 2010 @ 5:38 pm

Unfortunately you should keep him home. I hated when my daughter was constantly sick when she started daycare. I'd been at my job for only a couple months when she finally had tubes put in (thank goodness). But now when she gets sick it's not so fun to hear that other kids were sick and then she gets sick because of them.

Does your firm let you work from home or could you even take him with you? I've been lucky enough that I have brought her to work a few times for a few hours and then gotten some work done.

5. Alissa
    February 26th, 2010 @ 6:48 pm

I would keep him home. My LO is very environmentally sensitive and especially when she's sick—my goodness it's impossible to make her happy.
    Hope he's feeling better.

6. Steve
    February 26th, 2010 @ 8:01 pm

Hi,

As a daycare owner and a father of five children I can truly tell you that my wife and I have been been in your situation many times and although it was hard to do, we followed the rules as closely as possible prior to owning a daycare.

Now that we own a daycare I can tell you that there are a certain number of parents who load the kids up with Tylenol just before they walk through the door so they can get their 4 hours in at work expecting to get the call sometime around 1 pm. It's widely talked about when they also drop off their kids with nannys and hang out in Starbucks having frappucinos. In many cases these happen to be the same parents that blame the daycare environment for getting their child sick in the first place. You have to remember something. If you do this to your child because of whatever reason you decide justifies you to do it, you are hurting your child more than anyone. In many cases the children can't speak and tell us that they are burning up inside and that they have a massive headache or earache. To send them in when the loud sounds of other children laughing and babies crying is pretty cruel if you stop and think about it. Then, when high noon hits and your child starts to burn up you leave your child in the care of someone who is caring for six or more other children. Each child has a different threshold of pain and reaction to fever. Some will not exhibit any signs until a late stage and all of a sudden they shoot up 4 degrees. If the staff does not notice that your child is burning up right away you have just subject that child to an extra couple of hours of pain and suffering and possibly promoted them to vomit or even worse suffer convulsions. Let's not forget that you also just infected another couple of kids and caused the cycle to continue. You are probably the same person who says that we should shut down Guantanamo Bay when the detainees there are treated better than your child. This is no means a political statement, just an eye opener. If I can make anyone reading this to understand what a child really goes through I have done my job. Thanks

7. Steve
    February 26th, 2010 @ 8:03 pm

I just re-read my comment and want to clarify something. I used the term "you" toward the end and that does not refer to you, it refers to anyone subjecting the child to the pain and suffering I related to.
    Thanks.

8. Steve
    February 26th, 2010 @ 8:06 pm

BTW, You did the right thing by bringing your child with you. You are the parent. Who knows your child better than you. We did the same because we could. I realize that some people can't and it's truly a tough situation.