It’s Momma Day!

Posted on | March 25, 2010 | 6 Comments

I am so excited about today. Today marks the first, I hope of many, Momma Days in the Law Momma household. Husband and I discussed my need for me time and he suggested that every Thursday he would pick J up from daycare and give me the evening to do whatever I want. And, on top of that, my mother gave me the ultimate gift when she was in town this past weekend. She has offered to pay (for a limited time) for us to hire a housekeeper for the homestead. And I’m meeting with her today at lunch.

OMG I’m so excited. I’ve never had ANYONE clean my house but me. Well, except that my mother has often helped out, like when J was first born, and when I lived in rat’s nests in college. But other than that, it’s always been my elbow grease that cleaned the floors and toilets and everything in between. So I’m pretty pumped at the thought of leaving a messy house to go to work and coming home to a clean one. It’ll be like magic! I think I will think of her as sort of a fairy godmother, no matter what she looks like. In fact, do you think it would mar our relationship if the first thing I do is hug her and ask if she can wear a blue robe while she cleans? Too much? You’re probably right.

So I did what any self-respecting Southern woman would do when a housekeeper is coming. I cleaned. Husband thinks I’m the most ridiculous person on the planet but as I told him, I just can’t have her coming in here thinking we live like trash! Am I the only person out there who cares so much about what people think that I clean for the cleaning lady? I know the answer to that is no because I distinctly remember hearing my mother say she had to straighten up for the house cleaner who came to our house. Maybe it’s genetic. And maybe it really is just Southern. Either way, I want to make a good impression on my new best friend.
And then, after meeting my new BFF, I get to return to work and wait for Momma time to begin. I don’t quite know what I’m going to do with my Momma evening. My slate is clean. It’s a little daunting, to be honest! I feel like I need to make really good use of my time since I only get it once a week. Is it sad that I’ll probably spend most of the day thinking about what I’ll do with two hours of time? I mean, I could do anything! I could even buy a pretty blue robe for the house cleaner to wear… assuming she agrees. Maybe just a wand at first, I don’t want her to think too poorly of me.

I’m also super excited to be introducing another guest blogger tomorrow right here at Spilled Milk. She’s fantastic and I think you’re really going to like her. Her home blog, Mom in a Million, walks the precarious line of being hysterically funny, really real, and actually informative… and I love it. Plus, I’ve read her guest blog and I’ve been wanting to publish it as my own since she sent it. It’s that good.

So stop back by tomorrow and check out her fabulous guest blog. I wish I had more interesting things to say today but my head is killing me and I think I’ll benefit from time in a dark room.

Comments

6 Responses to “It’s Momma Day!”

1. Cybil
    March 25th, 2010 @ 1:33 pm

Fabulous! I am so happy for you! This is just what you need to re-charge! Have a fantastic time do whatever you want!

Regarding the housekeeper, we ALWAYS clean before they come. Because if things are not straightened up, they can't clean as well, really. Everyone I know cleans before the housekeeper comes. Oh – and you will never want to give her up! I really can't live without them anymore!

2. Anonymous
    March 25th, 2010 @ 1:53 pm

Its not just a Southern thing, I'm a Cali girl and I always clean before the cleaning lady gets here. My husband thinks I'm crazy too. Enjoy your alone time!

3. Anonymous
    March 25th, 2010 @ 1:56 pm

When I had a cleaning service, I cleaned before she came. Not because I cared what she thought, but because I was paying her to do the things I didn't like doing (like mopping the floor and cleaning the toilets). I didn't think it was a good use of my dollars to pay her to pick up stuff around the house or even to do the dishes. I spent maybe 30 minutes the night before picking up and figuring out if there was anything special I wanted done other than the floors, kitchen, bathrooms and putting fresh sheets on the beds (I HATE changing the sheets).
    Not only that, but then she has to figure out where you keep things so she can put them away for you.

4. Rebekah
    March 25th, 2010 @ 2:11 pm

At first, I got all confused because you talked about scrubbing floors and hello? Floors are supposed to be scrubbed? I thought my vacuum was a magic floor cleaner and the floors required no more attention from me. Oops. But then you said all those nice things about me and I just swooned. I love you Law Momma and would love you even if I wasn't you guest poster tomorrow.

5. Anne
    March 25th, 2010 @ 2:27 pm

That sounds SO nice (both the housekeeper and the night off). Just be sure to lock up your scripts, lol! You should get a pedicure or a massage. Let us know how it goes 🙂

6. HarmSkills
    March 25th, 2010 @ 2:35 pm

have a great evening!

cleaning lady is the best. we only have her once a month but its great! And I pick-up before she comes, but I dont clean clean if that makes sense.

Every weekend my husband tries to give me free time (he works too late during the week) what do I like to do:
    sit at starbucks and read
    go to mall and get haircut/look around/mani pedi
    lunch with girlfriends
    spa (only on special occasions of course!)
    enjoy!!!!!