It’s NOT the Broadway Play…

Posted on | March 27, 2010 | 6 Comments

There is a strip of land between the side of my house and my neighbor’s driveway. It’s no more than three feet wide so there’s not much going on there. Just a lot of leaves, a few bushes, and at least once a year… a brothel.

Cats.

From all over the neighborhood. Congregate here to… well… request a tune up.

I don’t know if the people who lived here before us had some type of super stud cat or what, but I swear to you, every single cat in the neighborhood comes to our house when it’s in heat. And they pace in that little alley way. Begging for … service.

Have you ever heard a cat in heat? It sounds like a mix between a whine and the pleadings of a hurt little kid. It stresses me out. Before J, I would lie in bed listening to this horrific symphony and ask Husband if he was SURE it was another cat in heat because what if someone had actually hurt a kid this time and left her in our alley and we were ignoring her cries.

Needless to say, I HATE this trend. I don’t know what I can do to stop this pattern because it is seriously annoying. I feel like we’re running a feline whorehouse off the side of our home. And they always “stop in” at the most inconvenient times. Like right after J gets to sleep at night…. cue loud “Service Me” requests. Or at 3 am when I’m actually almost asleep… again… for the fourth time.

I’m not really a cat person from the get go. I like them alright, but they make me a mess. I’m massively allergic. If I’m around them for too long I seriously stop being able to breathe. So this added annoyance is not doing anything to change my opinion. I’m open for suggestions on how to “discourage” repeat visits to the side of my house but don’t tell me to get a BB Gun because I’m never going to resort to hurting an animal to get sleep.

Anyhow, Happy Saturday. I didn’t get a lot of sleep last night courtesy of Cats, and the coffee isn’t quite ready yet so this is as coherent as I get at this hour. Enjoy your weekend!

Comments

6 Responses to “It’s NOT the Broadway Play…”

1. HarmSkills
    March 27th, 2010 @ 1:45 pm

that is crazy! I mean this in all seriousness, can you borrow a neighbor/friend's dog?

2. disastersindomesticity
    March 27th, 2010 @ 2:43 pm

That's so crazy!

The only things I know about work in smaller (indoor) areas. Like spray and aluminum foil.

But there are some sprays that say they work indoor and outdoor. Like this one:

Or this one from Home Depot:

I would go to your local Petsmart or Home Depot and see if they have something like this.

Good luck!

3. disastersindomesticity
    March 27th, 2010 @ 2:48 pm

And this article:

I got all of these by searching for "Cat Repellent", lol.

4. Eliza
    March 27th, 2010 @ 3:59 pm

Oh dear…that sounds aweful. I am not really a cat person either.

Maybe you cost post a tiny sign…"No Cat Sex Here or you will be doused with water"

5. Law Momma
    March 27th, 2010 @ 6:19 pm

hahaha I love all the suggestions. Sadly, HarmSkills, I have a dog. He sleeps through it. Plus he's inside so not really helpful. I am totally goign to look into those sprays, Disastersindonesticity, thanks.

And Eliza… the sign. ::dead::

6. Diana
    March 27th, 2010 @ 10:00 pm

We have cats. But they're all eunuchs so…
    I'm trying to think of something that might help – the tinfoil idea might. We put it in Bella's crib before she was born to keep them out. They didn't enjoy that.
    Can you put in some sort of timed sprinkler – a cheap one from Home Depot – that goes off at a certain time or times each night?
    I'll keep thinking.