Family Outing Success

Posted on | March 28, 2010 | 7 Comments

Last night, Husband and I took J out for a family outing. I’ll admit that I was not optimistic. J decided against his afternoon nap which had me wondering if we should even attempt leaving the house. But Husband and I had been looking forward to going out so we decided to brave it. One of the partners at my firm is in an 80s cover band and they were playing at a local festival. So we packed up J and drove to the park for an evening out.

Last weekend marked the beginning of the festival which means, among other things, in this household… fair food. Oh delicious fair food. I could wax eloquent for days on the wonder of fair food. But that was pre-Vegetarian. There is little to nothing for me to enjoy these days. When we decided to do dinner at the festival, I was hoping for a falafel stand or maybe even a veggie sub of some kind. I’ll bet you can guess what I ended up with…. a slice of cheese pizza. Awesome. Husband, on the other hand, came back with a massive something that smelled so good I almost died. It got a little better when we split a funnel cake, but I was still fairly bitter.

The music was good… but then I love 80s music. Even more impressive? J was a doll. Seriously. He left every bit of fussiness at home and was happy, smiling and downright charming for the entire time we were out. He flirted and smiled, danced and jabbered… in short, he had a fantastic time. And as a result, Husband and I had a blast.

It was our first really successful outing as a family and it felt really, really good. In fact, it made me believe we can pull this whole parenting off. Yes, I know there will be many more outings and a lot of them will be no where near as successful. But this one? This one was great. And I needed a great outing with my family… even if there wasn’t any falafel.

Comments

7 Responses to “Family Outing Success”

1. Cybil
    March 28th, 2010 @ 1:29 pm

So glad your first outing was so great! I LOVE fair food! Especially deep fried twinkies… Ahh I can feel my hips expanding at the thought!

We had our kids close together – they are 16 months apart. Between fussy baby phases and terrible toddler phases, we were prisoners for approximately 3 years. We finally started taking the little monsters out to dinner when the little one was about 3. Good Times! ha ha!

March 28th, 2010 @ 1:59 pm

As someone who's been known to demand elephant ears in february and has been desperate;ly seeking a restaurant that makes them year round, I am very jealous of your fair food.

Can you ship me some? 😉

3. Anne
    March 28th, 2010 @ 2:11 pm

That is great! I love fair food as well – but since I am not a vegitarian I indulge in the corn dogs at the MN Fair every year 🙂

Hopefully he has great outings like this all of the time!

4. Caitlin
    March 28th, 2010 @ 2:15 pm

YAY!!!!

5. Eliza
    March 28th, 2010 @ 3:01 pm

Yay! (except for the missing falafel part). I love it when the babe is good on an outing, especially when you were expecting the worst. Maybe he just needed to get out of the house too!

Last September when I was preganant was our local fair. I marked it on the calendar and looked forward to it for months. I waddles around that fair and indulged in ridiculous fair food….fried pickles, funnel cakes….aaaaaaaah!

6. Rebekah @ Mom-In-A-Million
    March 28th, 2010 @ 5:20 pm

Little guys love music, I've found. Glad it went so well!

7. Diana
    March 28th, 2010 @ 7:59 pm

I want funnel cake so bad. We get one fair a year. It's in June. I'm now looking online for a funnel cake maker. As well as pants in a larger size.
    I'm glad J was good and you guys had fun!