The joy of teething?

Posted on | April 12, 2010 | 12 Comments

On Saturday, I was the proud parent of a happy, adorable, fun to be around 7.5 month baby. He played hard all day and even went to the office with Husband and I so Husband could help me tear through the massive stack of filing my secretary left behind. (Side note? I still hate Mike Smith.) J was awesome all day long and even went to bed with minimal fuss. I was able to enjoy some wine with some fun Mommy Bloggin’ gals!

And then, sometime during the night, aliens abducted my sweet son. In his place, they left what can only be described as the world’s cutest monster. Seriously.

From the moment he woke up… at 5:00 o’clock in the morning, mind you… he was, in the nicest terms imaginable, an effing bear to be around. Now the 5am wake up call was the final call. That’s not to even remotely indicate that he didn’t wake up until 5. He woke up at 2, 3, 4 and then finally 5… for good. I tried to convince him to go back to sleep by giving him a teddy bear and lying back down but he wasn’t having it. He began wailing at the top of his lungs… so I got up.

That was the beginning of the end. Nothing made him happy. I tried feeding him. I gave him teething rings. I would have bought the kid a Porsche if it would have shut. him. up. for just five minutes. As it turned out, the only thing that shut him up was falling asleep. Which he did a lot of. At random intervals. One minute he’d be screaming and the next? Flat on his stomach passed out on either myself or Husband. It would have been pitiful if I weren’t so tired of hearing him scream.

Is this teething? Because dear God, I will buy the kid dentures if only we can avoid this mess for the rest of our lives. I can’t take it. He’s giving me the world’s worst headache. And to be honest, he’s annoying like this. I hate to say that because he’s my kid and I love him… but wanna trade? If I hear him whine ONE MORE TIME I am going to pull his teeth out myself. Is that a possibility? You’re judging me right now for saying this, aren’t you? I feel the judgment. But what can I say? I love my kid, I just wish he’d stop whining! Judge away.

He’s got a low fever which I’m monitoring because if he has another ear infection I will feel really crappy for posting this. But I think it’s teething. And I’m already over it.

UPDATE: I feel like the worst mom on the planet. Here I am whining and moaning about how awful my kid is when he’s teething and he goes and gives me a freaking gift. A GIFT. He slept. In his crib. Until 5 am. OMG I feel like a new person. I kind of want to delete this post and re-post one where I talk about how awesome he is… but whatever. Yesterday I wasn’t a fan. 🙂 Happy Monday!

Comments

12 Responses to “The joy of teething?”

1. Cybil
    April 12th, 2010 @ 11:00 am

I think its boys… My son was the biggest whiner when it came to teething. My daughter on the other hand was a total trooper – we didn't even know she was teething until each little tooth popped through!

I will say this though – every time my son had an ear infection, it coincidentally would occur at the same time he was cutting a tooth. Most pediatricians will say that there is no correlation. Our pediatrician however said that with all of the inflamation and drooling, there could be some kind link.

We went through lots of Motrin during those teething months.

2. Raising Madison
    April 12th, 2010 @ 12:11 pm

Teething is the bane of my existence for sure.

I am a firm believer in tylenol.

3. Ms. Diva
    April 12th, 2010 @ 1:25 pm

The only good part of Mater teething is that I can give him back to his mama and get some sleep!!! As a side note – great grandpa (my dad) said to rub some blueberry rum on his gums! Go dad!!!

4. Anne
    April 12th, 2010 @ 1:31 pm

Don't feel bad. I so curse my kid on the nights he turns me into a living zombie. I am hoping he repeats last night's performance for you from now on 🙂

5. Rebekah @ Mom-In-A-Million
    April 12th, 2010 @ 1:51 pm

C was cutting molars a couple of weekends ago and I was considering sending him to sleep away camp until he was done because he was a little beast. You're not alone!

6. Cindy
    April 12th, 2010 @ 3:21 pm

I do not look forward to the teething days soon here to come!! I am glad you got some sleep though last night! I like the way you updated your post, just on the bottom, so then when we are all going through that we do not feel alone with a night like this :). Have you heard anything about teething tabs and such…I have not read about them yet but keep hearing about them…?

7. Alexia
    April 12th, 2010 @ 7:12 pm

There's an award waiting for you on my blog!

8. ~*Jess*~
    April 12th, 2010 @ 7:26 pm

Hehe. Well teething is definitely no fun, but that's why we always keep Motrin on hand. ALWAYS.

9. JillyB
    April 13th, 2010 @ 1:56 am

Teething is the worst! No one wins but the teeth. I used Motrin and would keep a wet washcloth in the freezer for Big Time to chew on. He loved the cold fabric and I loved the silence!

10. kris
    April 13th, 2010 @ 4:34 am

Glad you didn't delete the post! Everything always gets better, and the people who annoy the shit out of us turn soon enough back into the people we love. But those moments when everything goes to hell? Those are the moments to which everyone else can relate. Because we all know looking in at your life that it's going to get better, and we've all been there.

Teething . . . shudder.

11. Kristyn
    April 13th, 2010 @ 7:03 am

Teething is no fun….BUT! little trick to give you about 10 mintues of peace…it works for my Monkey, hope it works for yours!
    cut up an apple into chunky slices, freeze the slices in a ziplock bag. When needed, pull out a frozen slice of apple and put in one of those mesh feeder thingys( yes, that is the technical term :)….Sophya LOVES it! and it must feel really good on the ol' gums.
    Hang in there! This too shall pass 🙂

12. Shannon
    April 14th, 2010 @ 2:45 pm

Teething is definitely no fun! GG has been teething (we think) off and on for nearly two months and still not one tooth! We did try Hyland's all natural teething tablets and they are wonderful! I wouldn't be caught without a bulk supply. They seem to help calm GG and actually seem to make her a bit tired. I highly recommend trying them. Those and a bit of Tylenol…couldn't have made it through the last few months with out! Good luck!