In the Midst of Madness…

Posted on | April 15, 2010 | 13 Comments

Some mornings just don’t work. If you’re a working woman (or man) you know what I mean. (and that includes Stay at Home Moms… you just work at home). You don’t get any sleep, the coffee maker is broken, there’s nothing to eat in the house, your hair won’t fix the way it usually does, your make up looks like a clown attacked you on the way to work and oh yeah, welcome, Monthly Visitor, glad you showed up this morning…. you know the drill. It just becomes one big fiasco.

And then there are mornings like this morning.

I can’t pretend like it’s been a perfect morning. In fact, if you’d asked me anything about an hour ago, I would have told you exactly where to shove an uncomfortable object. J is having breathing problems… again. We took him for a chest x-ray yesterday afternoon and should have the results of that sometime today. He’s wheezing. He’s coughing. He cries in his sleep from all the congestion. It breaks my heart.

As a result of his problems, I slept in the recliner last night to give him a little more… I don’t know the word. Angle? Basically so he could sleep sitting up… or at least raised a bit. I think he slept pretty good and I actually managed to get more sleep than I thought I would. Of course, I was thinking I wouldn’t get any, so the four I got seemed magical. (even though they were spread out over a seven hour period). J woke up a little before 5 and couldn’t be coerced back to sleep. So I got up and filmed a VLOG, thinking “To hell with it. I don’t have the mental capacity to type this morning.” I know, right now you’re totally wishing you could see that fiasco. Me. 6 am. No make up. Disaster. You’re gonna hate that you asked for this:

Anyhow. Around 6:30, J fell asleep. He nursed and fell asleep. So took him back to the bedroom and let him lie in bed with Husband. They slept soundly while I showered, got ready for work, made coffee and then ultimately, sat down at a little before 7:30 to write this post. That’s right. I had Momma Time in the midst of all this madness. And you know what? It was awesome. It wasn’t long. About fifteen minutes after I started this, I had to go get a shrieking J, but those 15 minutes were magical. It almost makes me want to start getting up a little earlier in the mornings just to have these moments. … I said almost. I’m not that far gone yet.

So now everything is ready, including myself and J, and I’ve posted a blog post on top of it. Not too bad for a morning that started out as a disaster, right? Once I get to work I’m going to post some pictures of the world’s most fantastic necklace. Don’t believe me? You should. Go here for a sneak peak: TINA TARNOFF Are you thanking me yet? Wait til I tell you more from work. Trust me when I say you are going to fall head over heels in love.

OMG!!!! Sorry, I have to add something AMAZING that happened this morning. Houston, we have lift off. My son. My little itty bitty baby boy… crawled. He CRAWLED!!!!! I can’t stand it. He’s so excited that when he moves he stops, flips over, and laughs. I love it. I stayed home for a while just watching him. And NOW it’s a good day.

Comments

13 Responses to “In the Midst of Madness…”

1. Anne
    April 15th, 2010 @ 1:12 pm

I love it when everything – for once – just falls into place. Awesome!

And hooray for crawling!!

2. Alysha
    April 15th, 2010 @ 1:22 pm

Just one little thing to brighten your day! THats the best! 🙂
    Alysha

April 15th, 2010 @ 1:22 pm

That is the best crawling story I've ever heard. Congrats to you!

4. Rebekah @ Mom-In-A-Million
    April 15th, 2010 @ 1:24 pm

I'll bet you a dark cherry mocha that J's cough is related to the trouble he's had with his ears – goo in the ears, the throat and the chest are so often connected. That poor kid! Let us know what the x-ray shows!

And the crawling story is soooooo cute!

5. Mama Pea
    April 15th, 2010 @ 1:25 pm

I like how your video was in a hush hush library voice while J was sleeping – I felt like I was supposed to be quiet too 🙂

Glad you had a good morning – and congrats to J for crawling!

6. Blair
    April 15th, 2010 @ 1:29 pm

You are so freakin' cute, even at 6:45am.

Poor little guy…but YAY for him crawling!

7. Carol
    April 15th, 2010 @ 2:12 pm

Love the video! You are so subdued!! Can't wait to see Jude crawl! P.S. post dress pics! 🙂

8. JillyB
    April 15th, 2010 @ 3:43 pm

Oh I remember the days of the crackly, wheezy breathing! It is so painful to hear. Bless his little heart and I hope he gets to feeling better soon! Have you guys considered an ENT? It wasn't until I saw one who had the forethought to take an X-ray of Big Time's head that I got the whole picture of how bad it was…the culprit was adenoids the size of golf balls. I kid you not! They were so infected and swollen they had everything blocked and nothing could drain from his ears or sinuses. Just a thought!

WoooHooo on the crawling…how much fun! Let the movin' on out games begin!

9. Nikki
    April 15th, 2010 @ 4:07 pm

Aw! His poor little cough 'bout brought me to tears! Aren't babies great though?! In the midst of feeling crappy, they go and do a miraculous thing like crawl!

10. Cara Mamma
    April 15th, 2010 @ 6:01 pm

Sounds like you found the silver lining of your morning!

11. Diana
    April 15th, 2010 @ 7:19 pm

Oh my goodness! A crawler!! And you were all worried about him not speaking Spanish yet. LOL.

I'm glad you had a good morning. You deserve it.

12. kris
    April 16th, 2010 @ 4:31 am

Is this the necklace I think it is?
    My Precious?

That aside, those little tiny moments of perfection and sweetness are what makes the rest of it all worthwhile. It's just hard sometimes to remember those perfect moments as it all goes to hell. But if all moments were perfect, we'd quickly learn to take perfection for granted and fail to appreciate it.

The joy is in the perfect moments that stand apart.

13. Laura Jane
    April 18th, 2010 @ 2:22 pm

Crawling! That's great! Mason just started crawling last weekend, too. Oh boy I didn't realize how much work a mobile infant would be! Glad you got some time to yourself and everything fell into place.