Road Trip Day One

Posted on | April 28, 2010 | 16 Comments

So I lied. I have a little time this morning before we head out… again… and thought I’d check in. My mother made the brilliant suggestion that I leave last night and drive up to my in-laws house. GENIUS! It shaves 2 hours off the trip today.

I’ll tell you what wasn’t genius… driving two hours with a wailing baby. WAILING. The only thing that made him happy was when I stuck my arm back there and stroked his face. And after a while, a) my arm hurt; b) driving became more difficult; and most importantly, c) it stopped working. He screamed like a banshee for the last 20 minutes of the trip but at that point? The car would have had to catch on fire for me to stop.

Cue this morning… he woke up at 5. FIVE. Awesomeness. It’s now 7:30, I’m waiting until I can feed him at 8 and then head out of here around 8:30. Pray for sunshine and a happy baby.

Side note? The Beatles are no longer magic in my car. Sade worked temporarily until the CD skipped and James Taylor had the best success of calming the child. Today? I’m thinking Offspring…

Comments

16 Responses to “Road Trip Day One”

1. Alena
    April 28th, 2010 @ 11:44 am

Hopefully today goes much much better!!!

2. Raising Madison
    April 28th, 2010 @ 11:58 am

Oh goodness, I am so sorry. I hope today goes much better for you!

3. Kim
    April 28th, 2010 @ 12:14 pm

Better luck today! Maybe try a little Josh Groban? He's MAGIC in our house 🙂

4. JacksonsMommy
    April 28th, 2010 @ 12:32 pm

I hope today goes better for you!

And the offspring should totally work 🙂

April 28th, 2010 @ 12:59 pm

Offspring for sure! I've found that Alex has some really odd musical taste….he doesn't like calming, he likes bass. I've got to get some Barry White or he's going to grow up listening to Britney. (Not that I let him listen to Britney now….)

6. D
    April 28th, 2010 @ 1:01 pm

Screaming babies in the car are no good – especially because there's not much you can do for them. Hope this next part of the trip gets better. Safe travels!

7. MrsPatterson
    April 28th, 2010 @ 1:05 pm

I have to say, it's somewhat comforting to know that I am not the only one with a child who a) screams his lolly little head off during car rides and b) plays games with me by calming down from a certain tactic one day then completely crapping all over that tactic the next. Not like I'm happy you had this experience, but I guess misery loves company. I'm going to stop now before you hate me and block me from ever talking to you again.

8. Mama Pea
    April 28th, 2010 @ 1:41 pm

Ugh that sounds so stressful! I hate that the carseat has to be in the back and facing backward, making it so tough – or impossible – to do anything to stop the crying. Seriously, it makes me feel like I could understand where Britney Spears was coming from when she just drove with the kid in her lap. Don't worry I am not going to pull a Britney 🙂

9. Rebekah @ Mom-In-A-Million
    April 28th, 2010 @ 2:12 pm

C likes the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Bruce Springsteen. 🙂

10. HarmSkills
    April 28th, 2010 @ 2:27 pm

my son has two modes in the car, sleeping and wailing. its horrible. maybe try a baby cd? good luck!

11. Anne
    April 28th, 2010 @ 5:13 pm

Wow. Good luck! I hope he sleeps and babbles the whole way 🙂

12. Susie
    April 28th, 2010 @ 11:55 pm

Been there…done that. I hope tomorrow is better.

I am here to welcome you to SITs! I hope you enjoy the party:-)

13. Yankee Wife
    April 29th, 2010 @ 1:08 am

I know this is a crappy thing to say, but "it does get better". This time will fly by and one day when your kid is graduating and leaving the house you'll be begging (BEGGING, I tell you!) for those wailing times again. How would I know?? Because I'd do anything to be able to visit those times again. Hope tomorrow is better for you. You're doing a great job!

P.S. I five-fingered your button! 🙂

14. Janelle
    April 29th, 2010 @ 1:23 am

Nothing is worse than being trapped in a car with a screaming baby. (well, maybe a screaming baby that just threw up, because then you would have that sound and the smell…)
    I hope today was better!

15. Cybil
    April 29th, 2010 @ 10:58 am

Oh hun – you are all woman being able to handle that! I am hoping today goes better!

16. Eliza
    April 29th, 2010 @ 4:55 pm

oh geeze. I am terriified, as this afternoon I am embarking on my own SOLO road trip with the wee Teva in tow. Should be fun. I am praying she sleeps. It's a five hour drive. Is it too much to ask that it goes smoothly???

I'll be praying for you, and how about you pray for me…and maybe our good vibes will work with planetary alignment and we can both have good trips.