The one where I’m kicking myself for semi-bragging on J’s sleep habits…

Posted on | May 10, 2010 | 15 Comments

I jinxed myself.

I mean, that’s really the only possible answer to what happened to me yesterday. It was really a less than stellar Mother’s Day on all fronts. I didn’t get anything… not even a card, but I knew that going in. Husband and I are on a tight budget to try and pay off some credit card debt so we discussed not getting gifts for Mothers Day and Fathers Day. Of course, secretly I hoped he would do something anyway… but I should know him better than that by now. If he says he’s not gonna do something, he’s not gonna do it.

So the plan was to sleep in while Husband cared for J and then made me breakfast. The plan… did not really work.
J woke up at 7 as usual and Husband kept saying “one more minute” every time I would roll over and look at him. FINALLY Husband got up and went and got him but lets face it, by that point I was wide awake. I forced myself to stay in bed for another thirty minutes just to basically spite Husband and force him to spend alone time with J. Then I got up and made my way into the kitchen and turned on the oven to pre-heat.

Let me also inform you that although “technically” Husband made me breakfast, I went to the store and bought myself exactly what I wanted and told him where it was. Yeah. I’m that much of a control freak. So I pre-heated the oven for the cinnamon buns and then went into the living room to play with J. Husband went out in our backyard and cut some roses from our rose bush and put them in a vase and then made the breakfast… including Poinsettias (Cranberry Juice and Champagne) of which I may have had more than a few.

We then trekked out to the Verizon store to buy Husband a Droid phone because I’m a tool and mine was happily in my pocket when I went to the bathroom on Saturday. Just hanging out in my pocket like a good phone. But apparently I haven’t been good to my Droid and it wasn’t happy with me. It threw itself out of my pocket a la Bella Swan in New Moon, and cliff dived into the toilet. Where I’d just finished peeing.

Insert bad word I don’t feel like saying today.

Short story? Phone died. Totally. And Husband’s phone was due for an upgrade so I got his old (ahem, CRAPPY) phone, and he has a fancy Droid like mine was before it committed suicide.

So we came back home and Husband went off to work. I actually didn’t have a terrible afternoon. J and I spent some time outside and ran a few errands. Nothing fancy. He wasn’t napping all that great and was pretty exhausted by bedtime. I put him down like I’d been doing the past few nights only now? He’s learned to sit himself up. So when I would go to check on him, he’d be sitting up in the crib, wailing at me. How do you make him lie down and sleep!?!?!

That pattern continued… ALL. NIGHT. Husband got home around 10:30 and I tried to go to bed only to be met with extreme resistance to that idea. It seemed that a) J wanted my full attention and b) Husband wanted to play his video games. Oh, I’m sorry guys. I thought it was MOTHER’S DAY.

J was awake until around 12:30 and then dozed off until about 1. And then stayed awake. Until 5:30. Screaming at me. Crawling on me. And on several occasions when I almost passed out from sheer exhaustion? My loving son found my nipple and pinched it. Seriously. He would slam his little hand down on my t-shirt and pinch my nipple. Trust me when I say that will most definitely discourage you from sleeping.

Finally I put him in his crib, that Husband has not yet lowered despite repeated requests, and thought he could play there while I dozed a bit. Erroneous. He started pulling himself up on the railings. I could totally envision him catapulting over the side and onto the hardwood floors so that didn’t help ease me to dreamland. I picked him back up and at 5:30 I hauled his still wide awake batookis into Husband and plopped him down.

“HERE. You take him.” I was all but screaming at this point. “He will not sleep. I must sleep. Must get some sleep. Please take him.”

My words may or may not have come out in sentence form and there may have been foreign languages used. I don’t know. I’m still half-asleep now.

To his credit, Husband stepped up to the task and I fell back into the bed in the nursery hoping to drown out the screams. Only you know what? HE DIDN’T SCREAM. Yeah. It turns out he really just wanted to snuggle with Dada because the stinker fell fast asleep almost immediately. And therefore so did I. Until about 7:40 when I realized I was going to be late for work if I didn’t get my ass out of bed.

It was not the best Mother’s Day ever. And last night was hell. But I feel certain that things are going to get better… sure, that’s mostly because it would be hard for a night to go worse than last night unless an ambulance was involved, but everyone has to start somewhere.

Comments

15 Responses to “The one where I’m kicking myself for semi-bragging on J’s sleep habits…”

May 10th, 2010 @ 1:52 pm

I want to buy you a hot chocolate (it's freezing here) or a coffee or something. That's so rough. Especially the phone part 🙁

2. Mommy Attorney
    May 10th, 2010 @ 1:54 pm

I'm sorry it was so rough. Sleep always gets worse when they learn some new physical ability. Give it another week and I bet he'll be back to putting himself to sleep in no time!

3. Cybil
    May 10th, 2010 @ 1:59 pm

ok – so this week can only get better! Tell hubby to lower the crib and let J cry it out! My pediatrician used to say it was good for their lung development! ha ha!

4. Rebekah @ Mom-In-A-Million
    May 10th, 2010 @ 2:30 pm

Oh, honey, you need more chocolate pie! And you need to email me about the evil sleep pattern we got into when C was a little older than J and how we managed to get out of it. You will be a happier family if everyone sleeps more!

5. Kim
    May 10th, 2010 @ 3:35 pm

Big huge hugs to you and a big ole cup of coffee, too! You poor thing! And I bet J is exhausted, too. I vote for you spending the night somewhere and letting Hubby work w/ J tonight 🙂 He is in one nasty sleep pattern, that's for sure. Wish I could offer some sage advice . . . how about some more poinsettas?

6. Tiffany
    May 10th, 2010 @ 3:52 pm

HUGS to you! This week will be better. Now go buy some hershey bars or something to make everything sweeter!

7. mommytojenna
    May 10th, 2010 @ 4:09 pm

It can only get better! Lower that crib and once he gets used to sitting up he'll get used to falling over to go to sleep!

8. Diana
    May 10th, 2010 @ 4:15 pm

Ok, I am sorry but I was cracking up at the nipple pinching. 🙂

I can't imagine Bella being able to sit up in her crib – as in I haven't imagined it because I'm so pleased my child is rather immobile. Now I'm dreading that day.

I am sorry your Mother's Day was sucky. 🙁 I think he should have gotten you something, you're a good mom and a good wife.

9. Not There Yet
    May 10th, 2010 @ 6:24 pm

What a day! Sounds like you got jipped out of a good mothers day. (Remember this on father's day! – go get a pedicure on him!)

10. Kris
    May 10th, 2010 @ 8:37 pm

I remember these nights with my older daughter with something less than fondness. Letting her cry it out turned out to be a miracle for us. But I didn't even consider that option until I was like a zombie from the lack of sleep.

Mark remembers Maj's early babyhood nights with more happiness.

Because he slept through them.

I do love him.

11. Janelle
    May 11th, 2010 @ 1:05 am

You totally have a "Mother's Day IOU" coming – make sure you cash that one in when J is sleeping better and you don't have to be "on duty" the entire time!

It does get better – and it is amazing when it does. My first little guy didn't sleep through the night till 13 months…not sure how our marriage survived…but it did 🙂

12. JillyB
    May 11th, 2010 @ 2:19 am

I'm so sorry you had such a rough day and night. Get that crib lowered. Even if you have to do it yourself. J's sleep will get better, just stick to your exhausted guns. Really, CIO is not a terrible thing. Hugs to you and I'm sending you and J sleep-through-the-night vibes! Hope they work…

For what it's worth my Mother's Day was the worst I've had yet.

13. J
    May 11th, 2010 @ 11:43 pm

We had a solid week of this last month. I was sure I was going to die. Somehow we figured out it was worse on nights we fed R pears. After 3 days without them he was back to his normal self. Any chance he's eaten something new? Hope it gets better either way!

14. Organic Motherhood with Cool Whip
    May 12th, 2010 @ 6:46 am

It is amazing how much hilarity you got into that post, even though you are dead-tired and having a bit of a rough patch. Amazing writer you are. So glad to have found you.

Hang in there and tell your phone to quit jumping into toilets. (I've rescued my share of items from the toilet too btw including my own toothbrush, a full size football, a tube of deodorant, and three power rangers…don't ask.)

15. joetroyer
    May 12th, 2010 @ 6:10 pm

This week i want to buy something new. so i decided to buy some hot chocolates.