Is this Monday? Again?

Posted on | May 18, 2010 | 16 Comments

I say this sort of in jest but also not. My son better have an ear infection or I swear to you… I may auction him off on ebay.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want him to be sick. I just want a reason for why he is suddenly incapable of sleeping longer than thirty minutes at a time. Teething tablets? Don’t work. Baby Orajel? Doesn’t work. The never fail “Shove a boob in his mouth?” DOESN’T WORK. Nothing works. And he cries. Not like the mad “I don’t want to sleep” cry… but a real honest to goodness cry that sounds like he’s just busted something open and it hurts so. bad.

I hate it. And I don’t want him to be sick, really. But if he’s sick then they can give him something and he can feel better, right? Otherwise, he’s just miserable. His second tooth broke through several days ago so I don’t know if this is teething or not. I just know that I’m at my wits end. And Husband is definitely at his wits end.

Last night, Husband (who, mind you, is our fail safe at bedtime because he’s AWESOME at it) couldn’t get J to sleep. Husband proceeded to get so frustrated that he plopped J down in his crib, walked out, and slammed the door behind him.

Slamming doors are so conducive to sleepy babies, right?

But I couldn’t really blame him. This is night four of the sleep rebellion. We’re at a loss. I’m calling the doctor today and if he doesn’t have an ear infection I will start the bidding at $1.
I kid.
Sort of. It’s a good thing he’s this cute…

Comments

16 Responses to “Is this Monday? Again?”

1. Raising Madison
    May 18th, 2010 @ 12:23 pm

My heart goes out to you. I hate when they are miserable and you can't figure out why. It is beyond frustrating.

Oh and if one more person tells me to buy teething tablets I'm going to scream. I give them to M, she eats them like candy and then continues with her regularly scheduled crankiness.

2. Kim
    May 18th, 2010 @ 12:23 pm

oh, poor thing!! I still think this all the time!! "You better be getting sick/are sick b/c this is insane!" Hope he is feeling better and is sleeping SOON — and you guys too!!

3. Cybil
    May 18th, 2010 @ 12:34 pm

Ya know-every one of my son's ear infections occurred while he was cutting a tooth. Coincidence-I think not!

4. D
    May 18th, 2010 @ 1:27 pm

I thought H was teething all weekend… day care called yesterday because she had a fever. Hubs took her to the dr – turns out she has a double ear infection 🙁

If he's crying that hard and nothing's working, maybe taking him in to see the pedi wouldn't hurt. (((Hugs))) to you and the little man!

5. Tiffany
    May 18th, 2010 @ 1:33 pm

But man o man, is he cute or what? Poor baby, hopefully you will both get some relief soon! Hang in there.

May 18th, 2010 @ 2:05 pm

I bid $2!!

If I win, I'll give him back when he hits 10 or so. I secretly don't really like teenagers.

Hope it gets better really soon.

7. Rebekah @ Mom-In-A-Million
    May 18th, 2010 @ 2:15 pm

Teething, colds, and ear infections go together. Have you talked to your doc about tubes? It was one of the best decisions we made.

8. Steph
    May 18th, 2010 @ 2:34 pm

Actually it's probably a combination of his ears and his teeth. My son had miserable ear infections CONSTANTLY and finally his pediatrician told us the same nerves that get irritated when teething run to the ears. So when their teeth hurt their ears hurt and get red. I really hope you can figure it out and get some sleep!!

9. Janelle
    May 18th, 2010 @ 7:33 pm

I understand that "I hope he is sick" feeling – because that can be fixed! With my son's first ear infection it took me a week before I thought to bring him to the doctor…talk about mommy guilt. They should put "screaming incessantly, nothing will calm them = ear infection" to the parenting manuals.

10. LCW
    May 18th, 2010 @ 8:07 pm

We had two nights of what you just described it was awful. Motrin finally worked and I think we're going through teething AGAIN. Definitely call the dr. though if you think it's his ears…because Ryann is prone to ear infections too, so I'm overly cautious. Hang in there, maybe get some ear plugs and lay next to him, even if he's crying, he knows your there comforting him.

11. Dr. Mommy
    May 18th, 2010 @ 11:45 pm

it may be that he's just pure exhausted. I went through the "hysterical-crying-at-night-yet-nothing-seems-to-be-wrong" with my second a few months ago. She cried so hard and loud for hours on end that i was convinced the neighbors would be calling ACS. Turns out she was just exhausted because she was waking up a zillion times a night and we were prolonging the ordeal by picking her up. 2 nights of sleep training did the trick

12. Jessica Warrick
    May 18th, 2010 @ 11:53 pm

hope you get some sleep soon. i feel for you and him maybe the dr will know what to do.

13. HarmSkills
    May 19th, 2010 @ 12:18 am

aww feel better to all of you. and he is so cute!

14. Sluiter Nation
    May 19th, 2010 @ 1:27 am

Oh we go through this EVERY time my son gets teeth–and this last time? at 10 months he got FIVE at once. I thought I would never sleep again! Nothing worked…not orajel, not teething tablets, not ANYTHING but mommy or daddy holding him.

I'll tell ya I say a prayer for every mommy of a teether!

You are right though, he is adorable!

15. Lo
    May 19th, 2010 @ 4:46 am

Love your blog – just started following. Sorry he's sick – that's the worst (and not just for him, either!) The blog-reboot also great – when you start getting comments from people you don't know it's so exciting!

16. Liz
    May 19th, 2010 @ 6:03 pm

visiting from d-list… hi!

and just wanted to say that we are currently teething (at least I think that's "all" it is…)…. but it's unbelievable how much my son's been getting up the last few nights… luckily the failsafe boob in the mouth has been working!

~liz