Long Weekends and Lumpy Boobs

Posted on | May 29, 2010 | 9 Comments

Ah Saturday.

J slept until 8:00 this morning. Yep. You read that right. He woke up at 2:30 and I nursed him back to sleep…. in his crib. (I didn’t nurse him in his crib… that would be weird and difficult. Although now I have a slight desire to try it…) He woke up at 5:30 and I nursed him and kept him in bed with me. He then slept until just after 8. It was heaven and totally what I needed.

Then I got up and had coffee and biscuits with soysage and apple butter (not together) while J ate his breakfast. Right now? He’s happily playing in the floor while we listen to our newest CD, “Caribbean Playground” by Putumayo Kids. I’m sort of obsessed with it… and J likes it, too. (I bought the cd and am getting nothing for this, I just wanted to share!) Apparently there is a whole series of these World Music cds. Next on my list is the French one because it was playing in the store but they were sold out. The Caribbean one is fantastic, though, and all or a portion of the proceeds go to help Haiti so that’s like added bonus. Plus? Best thing? It’s adults singing… not kids. If you haven’t already, you should check these out. They’re just that good.

::Stepping off my sales pitch::

I am so glad it’s a long weekend. Even though (or maybe especially because?) we’re not going anywhere. On the agenda? A trip to Sams Club. Maybe a trip to the pool. A visit from the in-laws. And a whole heck of a lot of quality family time. I’m pumped.

Part of why I’m so excited about this weekend rests in the fact that I’m not looking forward to next week. I know, I know… attitude adjustment… but I have good reason. On Wednesday while nursing J I felt a pea-sized lump in my right breast.

I didn’t really think much about it because I’m nursing and just assumed it was a milk duct or something. I felt it again on Thursday and told Husband. Husband did his normal knee jerk reaction to everything which is “Should we go to the hospital?!” I decided to call my OB on Friday morning and just see what he said. I figured he’d say it was nothing and move on with life. Only he didn’t. He said for me to come in first thing Tuesday morning and get it checked out.

But here’s the rub. I don’t feel the lump anymore.

What to do?! Do I go to the doctor and say there used to be a lump there, swear! Or do I call and cancel the appointment so that he doesn’t think I’m some crazy lady?! Is there any reason to get my boob checked out if I can’t feel the lump anymore? It’s not like there’s some magical hiding place, right? Lumps don’t just travel around.

Ugh. I wish I’d never even called the doctor, now.

But, I’m not gonna think about that now. I’ll think about it tomorrow! (or Tuesday…) For now? I’m going to enjoy snuggling my little boy, watching him crawl and pull up and yes, even try walking. I’m going to stay in my PJs as long as I want. I may read a book. I might take a bubble bath. I will drink wine.  And I will not worry about the stack of work on my office desk or the magical disappearing lump.

Happy Memorial Day weekend!!!

Comments

9 Responses to “Long Weekends and Lumpy Boobs”

1. Devan @ Accustomed Chaos
    May 29th, 2010 @ 2:56 pm

it isnt unusual to feel lumps while nursing – often it's jut a clogged milk duct that can be relieved by nursing.

Did your OB know you were nursing? If not that could be why they told you to come in right away.

If it was me I would still go in to get it check out – but being in Canada {not sure where you live} it's easier for me cause I don't have to pay for the visit.

Happy Long Weekend!

2. Karen
    May 29th, 2010 @ 3:27 pm

Hi there, I had the same thing happen to me a few months ago. I was three months into nursing so I was wondering if it was a clogged milk duct. I agonized about going to the doctor too and didn't want to seem paranoid over nothing. My husband made me go because it wasn't going away and I am glad I did. It turned out to be a fluid filled cyst. Nothing terrible but something they want to keep an eye on. I just felt for it now to see if it's still there and it is. I would just get it checked out to give you peace of mind, I am sure it's nothing!

3. Eliza
    May 29th, 2010 @ 3:45 pm

So glad you got some rest!

I love those CDs too!!! I've even found some at our local library…but buying them to help Haitian relief is so much better!

Hope all turns out well regarding the disappearing lump. I know it's a pain, but it's always best to have the peace of mind that you checked it out and it was nothing!

Have a great weekend!!!

4. Mommy Attorney
    May 29th, 2010 @ 6:44 pm

I'm glad you got some rest!

The lump is most likely nothing – probably a clogged milk duct, but why risk it? The doc will do a very thorough exam and if there's something there, he'll feel it. Lumps in boobs shouldn't be messed around with, so I would tell the doc you can't feel it anymore, but still go the appointment.

5. Steph
    May 29th, 2010 @ 8:30 pm

I believe cysts can move. Cysts are generally not a big deal but definitely something to have looked at and keep an eye on. My mom is an RN and I know she told me once that cysts are not always attached to the surrounding tissues like a tumor generally is so they can actually move. So don't feel stupid if you want to get it checked out! If you really think it was just a duct then don't worry about it.

It's your body and you should never feel you have to apologize for feeling something is off, we know our bodies for that very reason.

Have a great weekend!!

May 29th, 2010 @ 11:00 pm

I say doctor – it means no work!

7. Dr. Mommy
    May 30th, 2010 @ 12:07 am

As others have said, it was probably a clogged milk duct, but definitely have it checked out!

8. metta1313
    May 30th, 2010 @ 6:35 am

your sales pitch worked on me.

Abby slept till 8:30…after a 6AM nursing 😛

More e-hugs.

And yes, I agree with KLZ…doctor equals no work.

9. ~*Jess*~
    May 31st, 2010 @ 1:43 pm

I'm all about proactive. GO! Plus it gets you out of the office, right?

Enjoy your weekend!!!