Rambling On and On (and on…)

Posted on | June 8, 2010 | 7 Comments

This weekend marked the end of a mini-era.

On Saturday morning I packed up tiny shirts and pants, a bouncy seat, a jumperoo, a bazillion and three swaddle blankets, two tiny pair of shoes, a coat that looks like a teddy bear, and three play mats for infants. I packed them up in several big boxes and I carried them to the attic.

My baby boy is growing up.

I know, I know… he’s only nine months old. But he’s too big for his baby things now, and it’s really only a matter of time before he’s too big for the things he has now. Remember when I posted about how my house was being taken over by baby? Now it’s being taken over by toddler.

We’re rearranging furniture, locking cabinets, and relocating poor AJ’s food/toys/bed/life. We’ve bought a new, baby-safe coffee table, and a soft, stain resistant sofa. There are still remnants of the baby days, don’t get me wrong, but my house is beginning to look more like a kid lives here. You know… a KID. Not a baby.

J is everywhere all at once. He’s ferociously fast on all fours. He pulls up on anything that stays still long enough to be pulled up on. All the things he used to be and do? They are changing faster than I can write. I’m scared I’ll put a period at the end of this sentence and when I look up, he’ll be tying shoes and running out the door. (Phew. He’s still asleep in his crib!)

The one thing that hasn’t changed? His sleep habits. Oh. God. His sleep habits.

On Sunday night he wouldn’t go to sleep. I finally got him down around 8 and fell into bed because I hadn’t slept Friday or Saturday night. He was awake at 10:30 and proceeded to fuss and wail and beg for milk until he sat up and begin crawling around the bed just before 3 am. I tried everything to get him back to sleep but he wasn’t having it. So at 3:15 we came into the living room to watch TV.

Have I mentioned that we gave up our cable? As in, we only get 16 channels now. No Lifetime. No Disney Channel. Nothing. So you can imagine what my choices were at that hour. Infomercial. Infomercial. Weird 70s crime movie. And what we landed on… The Steve Harvey Show.

Seriously. I was watching The Steve Harvey Show with my 9 month old at 3:30 in the morning. Not exactly what I had in mind for the start of my week.

Although J managed to go back to sleep sometime around 5 or 5:30, I was stuck in an awkward position and unable to sleep. He woke up for good at 7:30 and my day “began.” So forgive me if this is a rambly post. It’s 8:30, J is finally asleep and I have to go to bed.

Summary? This weekend was sad. I packed away baby things and said hello to my future as the mother of a toddler. I also said hello to sleep deprivation, my old friend. And what did I learn? That yes, The Steve Harvey Show DOES still come on television. And I still don’t think it’s funny.

Comments

7 Responses to “Rambling On and On (and on…)”

1. HarmSkills
    June 8th, 2010 @ 11:45 am

sleep training time? its hard as hell, but works…

2. Kim
    June 8th, 2010 @ 12:20 pm

Can I offer you MORE coffee? And kick your hubby out of bed for you? Cuz I'm sure it's his turn 🙂

June 8th, 2010 @ 1:31 pm

Yup, Steve Harvey sucks.

And, I say again, sleep training didn't work at our house. I assure you, it was not because I am weak. That kid just does not want to learn to sleep. Although we're trying AGAIN (fourth time is a charm?) at the end of this month.

4. Not There Yet
    June 8th, 2010 @ 3:17 pm

How terrible! Hope you get more sleep soon. Isnt DH's turn soon?

5. Nikki
    June 8th, 2010 @ 5:39 pm

Tell me about it. We are just at 6months and I already look around the house and see all the things that need fixed/put away/baby proofed/etc before the babe starts crawling. And PS: I feel you on the sleep.

6. Steph
    June 8th, 2010 @ 11:05 pm

I am so sorry you are having no luck with him sleeping. Joey was not a good sleeper either. I remember those days. OMG. Elizabeth was the world's.easiest.baby. I have no idea how or why but she really was which is a good thing because I hadn't done it in years and couldn't do what you're doing now. ((((GENTLE HUGS)))) I really hope you get some sleep soon!!

7. Eliza
    June 10th, 2010 @ 3:56 pm

Hey lady! I have no idea if J isn't sleeping because of a medical issue….but I just sleep trained Teva who was co-sleeping with us and nursing through the night. I used Kim West's Good Night, Sleep Tight workbook (there's a post about on my blog now), and it worked great! She started sleeping through the night in about three days and I didn't have to let her cry it out. Not sure if this might help, but I'm just throwing it out there…because sleep is heaven!