Cancer Sucks

Posted on | June 11, 2010 | 10 Comments

I can’t write a lot about this because it will make me cry.

An old and dear friend who I lost touch with over the years, recently connected with me on Facebook. She has a gorgeous daughter who is three months older than J. I was so happy to hear from her and so happy to see that her daughter sports the amazing smile that my friend always had.

My friend and I met on a beach when were just tiny little girls. We played together building sand castles and splashing in the ocean. Our families became friends because of our friendship. We took family beach trips at the same time. We played Putt Putt together. Our fathers were golfing buddies. Our mothers went shopping together.

We probably spent at least 5 or 6 summers playing together at the beach with our respective families. And then we lost touch. I kept up with her through my parents. They told me when she had a melanoma spot removed at age 20. They told me when she got married and when her daughter was born. And just after we reconnected on Facebook, my parents told me about her cancer.

It seems that she recently had major problems with back pain. The doctors tried to figure out what was causing it and finally located the problem. CT scans found a tumor wrapped around her spine, pushing against her kidneys, lungs, stomach, and aorta. The tumor was identified on Thursday, April 15th. At the time it was 5.6 X 3.8cm, and has now grown to be 6.8 X 5.3cm.

That’s growing fast for those of you who can’t read numbers.

She is so very positive about her treatment options and the radiation and pain management she is in the midst of. Her daughter just turned one in May… just a few weeks after the diagnosis.

Did I mention Cancer SUCKS? It really really really sucks. All I keep thinking about is how hard it would be for me to have to go through all of this with J. How do you even explain this to a one year old? How do you make her understand that mommy is sick and needs to be away for a while? How do you prepare yourself for being separated from the one person in the entire world whose entire world is you?

I can’t think about it. I just can’t think about it. I can only pray for her. And hold my son just a little tighter. And whisper to him just a little bit more how very much I love him.

And probably? Say some choice words about Cancer.

Comments

10 Responses to “Cancer Sucks”

1. Raising Madison
    June 11th, 2010 @ 1:40 pm

Oh dear. Major hugs and prayers for her family. I can't imagine having to go through this with a young child either, but I can promise you that your friend will be okay. There's something about the spirit of people with cancer, they just have so much fight in them. God Bless her family and I'm sorry you are having to watch her go through this!

2. Cybil
    June 11th, 2010 @ 1:44 pm

I am thinking and praying for your friend. Cancer really can suck it!

3. Anne
    June 11th, 2010 @ 1:58 pm

T&P for your friend. Cancer does suck — I lost my grandpa not too long ago to cancer and cringe at the mention of the word "cancer" still.

Keep us updated on her progress, I will keep my fingers crossed for the best!

4. amy
    June 11th, 2010 @ 2:11 pm

I hate that picture. Where did you find it?

More importantly,WHAT? How did I not know about this? I found her on facebook but had NO CLUE.
    So sickeningly scary…..and what a trooper she is.

5. Nikki
    June 11th, 2010 @ 2:21 pm

I'll be keeping your friend and her family in my thoughts and prayers.

6. Ali
    June 11th, 2010 @ 2:38 pm

Sending prayers your way and to your friend. Cancer does SUCK!

7. ~*Jess*~
    June 11th, 2010 @ 4:21 pm

Cancer is the biggest fucking bastard in life. Sorry, but it is. It took my mom from me when she was 50, I was just 25, and my daughter her only grandchild was only 5 months.

This is why I fundraise for cancer. My heart breaks for your friend. For you and her family. For het husband and baby. She's got my prayers that she kicks cancer in the Ass.

8. Sara
    June 11th, 2010 @ 10:18 pm

This story is so sad…and eerily familiar. Does your friend live in CLT? She beat cancer once, and I'm praying she can beat it again.

9. Law Momma
    June 11th, 2010 @ 10:45 pm

Sara…. YES!!! Do you know her????

10. Steph
    June 13th, 2010 @ 5:07 pm

Gentle hugs to you and your friend both. Cancer is horrible enough but when it hits close to home and hits a mother it's about 10x as devastating. I am really hoping she can beat the cancer!!