I am a Dirty, Smelly Blanket

Posted on | June 12, 2010 | 16 Comments

Last night, sometime around midnight, my Mother In Law made an astute observation.

You know how Linus has his blue blankie? How some kids hold on to a soft bunny or teddy bear? And how even I had a shredded, stinky crocheted blanket as a baby? We call them “Loveys” or “blankies” or “Teddy” or whatever makes our kid happy.

J has a “lovey,” too.

Only, as MIL pointed out… his lovey is me.

I had never thought of it that way but she’s absolutely right. It’s why I can’t give him to Husband or even MIL to keep at night. It’s why when he is with someone else at bedtime he shrieks for hours on end only to laugh maniacally when he sees me and proceed to climb all over me.

I am his lovey.

I am his safety blanket. His thumb suck. His “play with until you fall asleep.”

Last night, MIL did the best she could to keep him so I could get some sleep. There was walking. There was rocking. There was late night television. But J was having none of it. He wanted his lovey. He wanted to gleefully pull on my hair and play with my nose until he fell asleep.

So what did I do? I did what any self-respecting mother would do.

I let him.

Happy Saturday from Zombieland.

Comments

16 Responses to “I am a Dirty, Smelly Blanket”

1. parentinginprogress
    June 12th, 2010 @ 1:33 pm

I am equal parts "Awww! How sweet!" and "Thank God for you, Mr Quackers" right now.

2. Erika - MommyBurgh
    June 12th, 2010 @ 1:34 pm

Pack your bags, you're most likely going to have to go to college with him too!

3. Poppy
    June 12th, 2010 @ 1:51 pm

There'a a definite advantages to not being a blanket or stuffed animal in that you can't be lost, unstuffed, hidden, or thrown out a car window at high speeds. J also likes how you smell, clean or funky.

4. Alexmommy626
    June 12th, 2010 @ 2:30 pm

Your MIL is totally right! Alex won't fall sleep without a blankie (luckily its not a particular one) to rub on his face unless he is exhausted. Its sweet to know that you are his comfort 'item' but at the same time you might want to introduce a blankie, at least just so you can regain some sleep (and your sanity)

5. Emmie Bee
    June 12th, 2010 @ 4:39 pm

I think Mae's comment says it perfectly! Super cute! But, Oh man am I thankful that Hudson stopped using me as his comfort and got a blanket. Whom, we call "blankie blankie" yes- we are the creative types.

6. Eliza
    June 12th, 2010 @ 5:13 pm

Isn't it strange that while it's so difficult for you to get any sleep and you may be delirious from exhaustion that a little bit of you is happy that he loves you so much and only wants you??? (Or is it only me who feels that way sometimes?)

7. Diana
    June 13th, 2010 @ 1:41 am

LOL. Oh my, I laughed all the way through this. (Inside I did feel bad for you – really. But only a little.) It's so cute – I can just see him thinking this about you.

It's tough, but there might be one day not to long from now when you will miss being his lovey.

I hope you get some sleep soon!

8. WTH am I Doing?
    June 13th, 2010 @ 2:37 am

I concur with Diana. My time as being constant love actually ended sooner than I would've liked. It's tough when you get used to all the snuggles & they start to grow up & get past it a little. The whole lack of sleep bit does suck (a lot), but suck up all the love & cuddles while they last. Not that they go away, but they become much less constant.

9. Janelle
    June 13th, 2010 @ 1:51 pm

You should just get knocked up again – i think that i was my son's "lovey" till I found myself expecting baby #2. I swear he sensed it, and latched on to his "gigi" instead.

10. Tammy P.
    June 13th, 2010 @ 2:36 pm

I am also my DD's lovey, glad to know I'm not the only one. 😀

11. Steph
    June 13th, 2010 @ 5:39 pm

My daughter has a "puppy". It's part blankie part stuffed dog. It's filthy all of the time and completely grosses me out. She loves it. She won't go anywhere without it. I am actually a little sad because she doesn't snuggle or cuddle. Never really has. She just isn't a snuggly kid. Only at nap time. Otherwise it's her and "puppy" against the world. I wish you could get some sleep. Seriously I worry about you! But at the same time I totally know why you are OK being the "blankie" because that damn "puppy" took my job!

June 13th, 2010 @ 9:04 pm

Sweet Jesus. I've been wondering a lot lately how come Alex doesn't have a favorite toy or stuffed animal or blanket….it's because it's ME.

I'm a little afraid. Flattered but afraid.

13. JacksonsMommy
    June 14th, 2010 @ 1:44 am

I just realized this the other day as well! I'm glad I'm not the only one! haha We're trying to get him to sleep in his crib right now and it's so hard considering he wants me cause I comfort him ya know? I don't think I'd fit in the crib, I'd most likely break it! lol

I figure I'll enjoy it now, one day he'll be running from my hugs and kisses and telling me he hates me for not letting him take the car out.

14. Crazed Mama
    June 14th, 2010 @ 2:31 am

Diana is right…my nephew is off to College this year and my sister is missing those days. Hell I still rock baby girl to sleep and she's 2. Enjoy it, you will have time to sleep later…this time goes so fast and then they are snotty bratty 7 year olds who roll thier eyes and tell you whatever (oh sorry thats my house)

15. metta1313
    June 14th, 2010 @ 4:16 am

Now this makes me think I'm Abby's lovie b/c she doesn't have any and more times than naught the hubs has to hand her over and she's instantly calmed. I do have the boobs, though, which I wonder is more of the lovie than actually me.

16. ~*Jess*~
    June 14th, 2010 @ 7:42 pm

Love it. I think I was Ava's, and she was mine (especially when my mom was sick and I was staying in town visiting her). Nothing wrong with that 😉 (other than the not sleeping business…).