Did You Say CAKE?

Posted on | June 17, 2010 | 12 Comments

All I have to say for myself is “ugh.” Times a million.

Just when things start looking up? Life throws a curve ball. And curve balls make me hungry. This time, my curve ball is in the form of J being sick. Again.

Seriously? Is my kid EVER going to be well for a full month? Do I have to wait until he’s out of daycare to reach that milestone? Because this is KILLING me. It’s killing my productivity at work. It’s killing me to watch my baby suffer. It. Is. Killing. Me. If the actual sadness doesn’t kill me, the sugary sweets I’m shoving down my gullet like I’m in it to win it, CERTAINLY will.

This time, it’s not the ears. This time, right when I don’t need it, J has apparently coming down with Hand, Foot and Mouth. Which, when Dr. Bob said it, I thought was some made-up disease. Turns out it’s very real. And it can cause giant nasty ulcers in J’s throat. On any given week, this would suck. Massively. But this week? This is the week that Husband and I are packing up the car and heading to one of my best friends’ weddings in the Good Old QC. (Charlotte, for you non-North Carolinians.) And not only are we going to the wedding… I am IN the wedding. Which means limited interaction with J because, well, I have duties. Like Bridesmaid duties. And they came in excel spreadsheets because my friend is just that organized. She most definitely did NOT plan time for sick baby who needs his mommy.

So I’m feeling torn. Do I become Sh*tty Mommy who dumps baby on Husband and Grandparents while I flit off and Bridesmaid it up in my gorgeous navy blue dress with my Monkey who was Maid Of Honor at my own wedding, or do I earn the label of Sh*tty Bridesmaid by sidelining the bride and spending every spare minute with my poor sick kid?

See what I mean?

Ugh.

I’m going to try to juggle both jobs this weekend but we all know how fantastic my juggling skills are. I’m liable to piss off everyone and end up crying alone in my hotel room and stuffing my face with the powdery goodness of the Sweet Sixteen donuts I bought. Yeah. I went there. I’m a stress eater and by association, a stress food-buyer. I stocked up on all the good stuff…  chewy granola bars, chocolate chip cookies, Cinnabon Breakfast Bars, Cheese Puffs, Diet Dr. Pepper… and a ton of other goodies. It’s gonna get ugly up in North Cackalacky. I hope I still fit in my dress by the time I’m done guilt eating!!!

Comments

12 Responses to “Did You Say CAKE?”

1. ~*Jess*~
    June 17th, 2010 @ 1:26 pm

Balance is key. But you'll be a shittier bridesmaid if you are worried about J. We are still 2 days from wedding day though….so maybe he'll be feeling a bit better.

Oh and comfort foods? 100% awesome. No guilt.

2. Mommy Attorney
    June 17th, 2010 @ 1:27 pm

Oh man, that's rough. I've found kids without friends just have a hard time understanding (and I'm sure brides fall into that category as well). I'm sure Husband will take good care of J while you fill your bridesmaid's duties. Sorry about the HFM. When my daycare sent home a notice that MP had been exposed, I thought it was a made up disease as well.

3. HarmSkills
    June 17th, 2010 @ 1:34 pm

C had hand food and mouth about a month ago. AND IT SUCKED! Just gotta wait it out to run its course. The sore throat is painful for them and just makes them irratable good luck

4. rebeccaeee
    June 17th, 2010 @ 4:12 pm

Popsicles, popsicles, popsicles. Even if he's so little he's never had them. Pedialyte pops. Otter pops. frozen washcloths, whatever. My boy had it twice one summer when he was about 18 months. The first case in the mouth was the worst. The second time was hands and feet….not so bad. Seriously- anything cold, nothing acidic (oranges/tomatoes/ spices) and he'll be okay. The first 2-3 days are the hardest so he might be better this weekend than you think. Hope so.

June 17th, 2010 @ 4:13 pm

I stood up in a wedding in May and even without the child being sick, there was still a lot of guilt. LOTS of guilt.

I'm sure everyone understands what you're going through though. I think most of this is just pressure we put on ourselves. Because clearly, we NEED to do it all.

Pass me a doughnut.

6. Ali
    June 17th, 2010 @ 5:16 pm

Ditto on the popslicles! They are key! trust me even at 10mths? I know J is a little older than my b-nut… Sorry if I am off.
    My oldest had HF&M and oh I feel your pain! Sorry 🙁
    A nurse I know always says, the sicker they are as babies the less school they miss later… Try to stay positive.

7. Dr. Mommy
    June 17th, 2010 @ 7:14 pm

I second rebeccaeee's post regarding popsicles, popsicles, popsicles. Also, if you can manage it, sometimes dabbing a mixture called "magic mouthwash" (1 part liquid benedryl to 1 part maalox) with a Q-tip to any nasty ulcers you see in the mouth will help to numb things before eating or drinking.

8. Laura
    June 17th, 2010 @ 7:26 pm

OK, so I'm new here and not sure how long J has been in daycare, but if you can hang in there for six months, the kid will likely never get sick again. And before you start berating yourself for putting him there in the first place just so you can go off and be a successful attorney, let me assure you, he can be sick now or do it in kindergarten when he's learning to read. I voted for the former (because I'm selfish like that) and honest to southern dust, girl, my oldest hasn't missed two days of elementary school (for illness) since he started four years ago. Be easy, babe. Hand, foot and mouth sucks, but Daddy can handle it while you strap on your Spanx and make like a bridesmaid. He helped make him after all 😉

9. WTH am I Doing?
    June 17th, 2010 @ 8:39 pm

Ugh. Sick kids are no bueno, but sick babies are the worst! I hated it when my son got sick (still do, actually). He spent his 1st 18 months in daycare & was *constantly* sick. I kept telling myself "he's building up his immune system, he's building up his immune system…." Which didn't really make me feel better, but did take the edge off.

I think it will be ok to have your hubby do daddy duty for a day while you do bridesmaid duty. He'll probably enjoy hanging out with the baby more than going to a wedding, if he's like most men. ;o) You will still be there 100% for your little guy thru most of the illness (and the worst of it), he will probably be much improved by the wedding day, & there will be plenty more illnesses over the years for you to be super nurse mommy for the duration. 🙂 It's only 1 day & he will be ok.

10. Eliza
    June 17th, 2010 @ 8:54 pm

Oh man. This is a toughie. All you can do is your best given the situation. Ugh, I am so sorry you have to deal with this! On another note, I'm convinced that by the time J reaches elementary school his immune system will be stellar due to all the antibodies he's making now! You'll never see a sick day in the future!!! (one can only hope!) That's just my crack brain idea, but I like it, so I'm going with it! Good luck!!!!!!!

11. Amy
    June 18th, 2010 @ 1:12 am

I think it would be worse if you were being the bridesmaid but worried about your son the whole time. Enjoy your time in NC if you can! I love the Queen City for sure! Good luck!

Amy

12. Steph
    June 18th, 2010 @ 8:27 pm

What kinds of animals do they have at daycare? Some animals carry foot and mouth and can transmit it to humans. It's commonly spread that way.

Daycare germs are the worst. My son was sick for 3 full years. When I tried to go back to work last year I figured my daughter had a good immune system built up because she had really only been sick a couple of times. I was wrong. 3 days in she was sick and she never got better. My pediatrician had to write a note to my boss telling her she (E) had a nasty infection we couldn't clear up and I wasn't making it up. I ended up quitting because it wasn't fair to anyone and I was a mess.

The good news is once they live through daycare they aren't sick in school. They've built up their antibodies. The bad news is little ones get nastier stuff and it's harder for them to recover so daycare germs just suck.

I'm so sorry he's sick again and during the wedding!! ((((HUGS))))

Whatever you do will be the "right" thing because you always make the right choice.