You Can Call me J.C. Wyatt

Posted on | August 11, 2010 | 16 Comments

I am setting this to post tomorrow morning at 7:00. I figure that’s a good time because it’s the exact time that I become, well, J.C. Wyatt.

Should I rewind? Are we on the same page? Does this refresh your memory?

I’ll rewind anyway. Two weeks ago my boss asked me if I could come to Atlanta to meet with some clients. I said sure so long as I took a day flight up so I didn’t have to leave J overnight. He was fine with that so I booked the flight for, well, today (which is tomorrow for me, but that’s just confusing). Ticket was bought and paid for, Husband was all set to take J to and from day care… all systems go and everything running smoothly.

Except wait. This is MY life. There is no “smoothly.”

At 5:30 on Tuesday, I got a call from daycare. They knew we would be picking J up shortly but they just wanted to let us know that he has a fever of 101 and oh yeah… he can’t come back to day care tomorrow.

Cue montage of things exploding and countdowns to nuclear reactor meltdowns.

I flipped. My. Shitake Mushrooms.

First, I called Husband. He said what I knew he would say… “no can do, sweetie pie. I am new on the job and can’t miss work until after at least a month.” Second I called boss man. He was very understanding but who are we kidding… I have a job. I have to DO my job. And today, my job is having lunch with clients.

Then I call my mom and freak out on the phone for a good twenty minutes.

Then I call Husband again. Nope. Still hasn’t changed his answer.

So I come up with THIS brilliant idea. How hard can it be to just take J with me? The in-laws live on the way to the client meeting and boss man said he could transport J in his car because he has car seats so win-win, right? I start the planning process.

I’m going to take my sick almost-one-year-old on an airplane. And then we’re going to get off that airplane and take MARTA to downtown Atlanta. Then we’re going to walk a few blocks to my office building. Then we’re going to get in a car and drive to the in-laws house where I am going to leave my sick child with his Poppa while I go eat lunch and talk law stuff. Then I’m going to pick my kid up, drive back to downtown Atlanta, get back on MARTA to the airport and put him on another airplane.

WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?!

This means I have to take a stroller. And a diaper bag. And oh yeah, the airline informed me that you can only carry as much formula as you will need for the plane ride. J is a big guy… hope they buy that he drinks three bottles in an hour. Not to mention the bag full of Biter Biscuits, two containers of pureed baby food, seven random toys, two pacifiers, five books… and probably a partridge in a pear tree. And um….I can NOT navigate two airports, MARTA (twice), and downtown Atlanta in heels while carrying a baby. I will have to take a stroller. And comfortable shoes.

I’m now PACKING for my 10 hour trip to Atlanta. And dreading it something fierce. I just hope J doesn’t have an ear infection because if he does? Whoever is sitting next to me on the plane is going to be REALLY pissed. And I’ve decided I’m definitely changing my name to J.C. Wyatt. And maybe buying an apple tree farm in upstate New York where I can make gourmet baby food with cute labels and say SUCK IT to my former employer who wants to buy out my company and market it to a big supermarket.

Okay. Maybe I got carried away there. I’ll stick with just secretly referring to myself as J.C. and laughing about it.  Okay… I’ll probably call myself that to my boss and see if he gets it.

Wish me luck… however this goes, there’s bound to be a story for tomorrow!

Comments

16 Responses to “You Can Call me J.C. Wyatt”

1. Kiki
    August 11th, 2010 @ 11:39 am

Wow cant wait to hear how it goes!
    I dont envy you at all however I do think that if anyone can do it you can! You just survived a hectic 2 week move – what could be more difficult 🙂

2. Raising Madison
    August 11th, 2010 @ 11:55 am

There are no words lady. You are super woman.

3. HarmSkills
    August 11th, 2010 @ 11:56 am

first of all I cant believe you remember Diane Keatons characters name. mad props for that. second you will do awesome. it will be great.!!!!!

4. Mrs. MidAtlantic
    August 11th, 2010 @ 12:58 pm

WOW. Good luck!

5. ~*Jess*~
    August 11th, 2010 @ 1:07 pm

Oh my goodness. Sheesh. You'll be great. And you know what? All great fodder for the blog.

Hang in there.

6. Caitlin
    August 11th, 2010 @ 1:13 pm

OMG.

7. Rachel B.
    August 11th, 2010 @ 2:00 pm

Oh, that does not sound like a fun day. I wish I knew you in real life, you could've brought J by my office and he could have hung out until you were done. I'm just up Peachtree Street, and my office is pretty cool about stuff like that. I hope things go as smoothly as they can!

8. Cristy
    August 11th, 2010 @ 2:40 pm

holy crap, you are one BRAVE woman! Good luck!!

only piece of advice I can give you: don't stress too much when he's crying. Everyone has been there and if they don't understand, screw 'em.

9. LA @The Reel Family
    August 11th, 2010 @ 2:40 pm

Ok you poor thing, next time you are more than welcome to call on a fellow blogger to pick u up from said airport. I will provide references to assure you, I am as normal as they come. No one should have to ride marta with a almost one year old ALONE.EVER. No seriously, I am not kidding.

August 11th, 2010 @ 3:48 pm

I have no words.

But I want to buy a farm and we can start a mom-baby commune. It takes a village and all that. It's a nice little escape fantasy I have.

Want to join me? There will be wine every night.

11. D
    August 11th, 2010 @ 3:52 pm

Geez, I don't really know what to say. Hope it goes well with little to no hitches in the plan. You are wonder woman and you can do this.

12. Kimberly T.
    August 11th, 2010 @ 6:21 pm

Just stumbled upon your most awesome blog. As J.C. Wyatt actually did say, "I can't have a baby, I have a 12:30 lunch appointment!" Yeah, right!

13. Caroline
    August 11th, 2010 @ 8:21 pm

OK, I am a faithful reader. I don't comment too often, but I just couldn't let this go. I actually put the computer down, walked away, and two hours later still felt like I needed to say this, so here goes:

My husband and I would be having a knock-down drag-out fight if he ever treated me the way yours treats you. Seriously. I try really hard not to comment on people's marriages, because, hey, to each his own, right? But seriously, Husband? "No can do. I am new to the job…"??????? Woooo freaking hoo. J is your kid too.

My husband works full time, comes home, plays with the baby for a couple of hours, helps me feed him dinner, gives him his bath and reads him his bedtime story, AND THEN gets on his game to play. Every night. (Well except for when mama needs a little love… :-D) And I stay at home. If I worked and he worked, you better believe he'd be taking the sick kid for the day, no matter WHEN he started work. They knew when they hired him he was a family man, and family comes first. It's not fair to you or to J to have to do what you're having to do today. Husband needs to step up and put his family first.

14. Mrs.trophywife
    August 12th, 2010 @ 12:05 am

Oh please, "Anonymous." I hate it when people don't have the balls to say what they think with their real name.

Honey, you do what you need to do. I think you are "Supermom", and I'm amazed that you are able to do so much! I have never once thought you were "woeisme." You're a strong, capable woman, a wonderful mom, and a beautiful wife.

Oh, and you eat Red Robin with me (even if you order a veggie burger), so that automatically makes you awesome.

15. Maija
    August 12th, 2010 @ 12:06 am

Wow! What a stress. I totally know what you are going through. If my husband is working or on call he "no can do" unless the world is falling apart and then, given his job, he'd probably be working then too. That being said, I work in a professional job and I work hard. This is a plan I totally would have come up with myself and hey J gets to see grandma and grandpa too right? Good luck to you. And I love your last line – there will definitely be a story to tell at the end of it.

Maija

PS: If it makes you feel any better I have traveled through an airport with two kids in a double stroller, heels, a pencil skirt, a diaper bag, a laptop bag and the plethora of stuff you have already mentioned AND lived to tell about it. We're moms. We're professionals. We do our best. Sounds like you're doing just that.

16. Cybil
    August 12th, 2010 @ 9:40 am

Well I must say that at least you are TRYING to make light of this! What a day! Can;t wait to hear how it went!

Thinking of you girlfriend!