The Party

Posted on | August 23, 2010 | 19 Comments

This weekend was… amazing. And emotional. And, well… amazing. Both my parents and Husband’s parents were in town for J’s first birthday. I went a little crazy with the invites and would totally show them to you here, but they’re pretty much peppered with J’s name so it wasn’t an option. I digress. I went so nuts over them that I decided I’d send them to all of my friends with children. You know, all … three of them. All of them were out-of-towners so I didn’t expect for J to have any friends to play with at his party.

I was wrong.

My old college friend, who lives in Orlando, drove up… with her two kids… and did I mention she’s like 7 months pregnant?? Oh… and her two kids are 18 months and 2 1/2.  She’s insane. And it’s why I love her.

She also brought her saint of a friend who drove up to help with the kids. Seriously, this woman must be a saint. Who packs up and takes a road trip with a pregnant lady and two kids under three? She’s a trip, too, so she made a welcome addition to the party.

We met all of them downtown on Friday night to do the “tourist” thing and hit up City Market in Savannah. After dinner, staring at the horses, and one mesmerized J in front of the colored fountain, we headed home with plans to meet back up for the birthday party.

Cupcake Emporium Rocks!!

You know… the one where my little, teeny, tiny baby of a son turned the big o-n-e. I feel like saying it is sort of like saying “Mufasa.” I get all quaky like Whoopi Goldberg’s hyena in The Lion King.

Cookies from Two Smart Cookies

The party was a success, though, or at least I think it was. Of course, I managed to let J burn himself on the candle… Mom Fail… and then let him eat an entire cupcake out of guilt. My mother won $500 on a scratch-off lottery ticket, my friend and I laughed until our sides hurt, and her little boy grabbed me on the way out, threw his arms around me from behind and screamed “Aunt Law Momma, I love you from the back!” Yes. It was THAT kind of party, apparently. J had an absolute blast, though, and fell asleep at 6:30 from excitement overload. That, my friends, made it all worth while.

Oh my gosh, there are so many pictures. I have so many more, too!!I will stop boring you all with pictures from the party. Needless to say, there was a monkey “theme” and entirely too much food. And the end result?

Husband’s getting “The Look”

My kid is one. *shudder* And he is just the same as he was when he was 363 days old, so I don’t feel so bad. Except that he’s teething and as a result has developed such a bad case of diaper rash that his whole body shakes when I have to clean a poop and he cries and cries… and bleeds. It’s horrible. I’m actually scared of his diaper now. I open it up all careful like a Wonka Bar, only I’m praying to GOD there is no “Golden Ticket” inside. No poop means happy baby and happy mommy. Poop means full on wail fest for us both.

Good Sharing!!

Any tips on how to help soothe that would be much appreciated. We’ve got some medication from the doctor for yeast infections and then I’ve been using an Organic Diaper Rash ointment on top of that but nothing seems to make him feel any better except sitting in a warm bath with corn starch.

And you know, since he’s all one and all, I feel like he should have a happy bottom. In a non-creepy way.

Happy Monday!

Comments

19 Responses to “The Party”

1. KSBA
    August 23rd, 2010 @ 12:40 pm

My son is having the same problem, I got the most gentle, organic, no alcohol in them wipes I could find. And we use Boudreaux's Butt Paste, which not only works well, but is fun to say. I find that if I apply, even after "non-Golden Ticket" changes, that it helps too.

2. Mommy Attorney
    August 23rd, 2010 @ 12:42 pm

Happy Birthday J!!!

And I second Butt Paste!

3. KSBA
    August 23rd, 2010 @ 12:42 pm

Oh, I forgot this, I always give him a pacifier when I'm changing him, gives him something else to focus on. He's not a big pacifier baby, but its enough to distract some and keep his hands out of the way.

4. Sara
    August 23rd, 2010 @ 1:05 pm

Gorgeous party & I love all the pics. I'm thinking of doing monkeys "theme" for my little guy in November. Those napkins are SO CUTE!

Happy Birthday Little J!

5. CaneWife
    August 23rd, 2010 @ 1:17 pm

Happy birthday to J! What a great party! Glad it all went well! 🙂

August 23rd, 2010 @ 2:15 pm

Happy birthday little monkey!! Glad that it all went well and that you've got friends awesome enough to drive up to celebrate. What fun!

7. Kristin @ Ellie-Town
    August 23rd, 2010 @ 2:46 pm

I 3rd the butt paste!

Great party, we have Madeline's big day in less than two weeks! Eek!

8. Metta1313
    August 23rd, 2010 @ 2:51 pm

I've heard try using egg whites….like whip them up merengue style. I heard that over on Postcards for Parenthood a while back. And of course another Happy Birthday to J!

9. LC
    August 23rd, 2010 @ 3:11 pm

Happy birthday, J!

My pedi recommended Desitin Maximum Strength Paste (but any brand is okay as long as it has 40% zinc oxide) applied HEAVILY at every diaper change. It doesn't smell good, but the smell is worth it. I've used the butt-paste stuff before but it has only 16% zinc oxide so it won't work as quickly.

My son had diaper rash and it cleared it up really quickly. And because the Desitin is kind of greasy, it made his butt easier to clean which made him happier. Good luck!

10. Nikki
    August 23rd, 2010 @ 3:14 pm

Happy Birthday!!!!! Your photo's made me all weepy because I can't believe I'll be doing the same thing in a short 3 months.
    For advice, we lather the babe's butt with Vaseline when he has bad diaper rash. It acts as a barrier to wetness and it makes the poo easier to wipe off so that there isn't alot of friction. Hope you find something that helps!

11. ~*Jess*~
    August 23rd, 2010 @ 3:31 pm

My friend's daughter had rotavirus and her poor diapered butt was miserable. My friend followed this recipe and she said it was a miracle worker. She blogged and here's the concoction: http://dbiehle.blogspot.com/2010/06/miracle-mix-for-diaper-rash.html.

Hope it works!!! Happy 1st Bday to J. You looked great!

12. Delia
    August 23rd, 2010 @ 3:36 pm

A friend used this stuff called Dr. Smiths for her daughter and said it worked wonders. Good luck.

13. Eliza
    August 23rd, 2010 @ 6:12 pm

J's party looks like it was fabulous! How fun!!!

Oh, I am cringing in sympathy over the diaper rash. That is heartbreaking!!! Once, Teva had bad diaper rash and I searched on line and found that egg whites work well. I whipped them (not quite to stiff peaks, but so they were'nt slimy and applied that) it worked!…but, she wasn't bleeding. I'm not sure if there are open wounds that the egg whites would be a good idea. Also, instead of wipes, maybe try warm soapy water on a paper towel for the time being and then liberally apply butt paste or petroleum jelly???

Good luck!!!!

14. Mommy C
    August 23rd, 2010 @ 7:08 pm

Happy Birthday J!

I have two diaper rash tips for you. The first is put his bum in the sun…you can read about it on this page (she is the leader from my new mom's and a postpartum doula): http://abcdoula.com/blog/?p=364

The other tip is from my sister:
    Combine in the palm of your hand equal parts of: cortaid, neosporin, and lotrimin, (or similar of each) Mix, and put on the rash 3 times a day, then cover with desatin. She says it works like a charm.

Good luck!

15. The Insanity of Yca
    August 24th, 2010 @ 12:34 am

Both my boys had this same thing, LM. It gets HORRIBLE and I totally feel your pain. The bleeding is what absolutely kills me. I would cry just KNOWING I had to change them. So, Burt's Bees diaper creme worked best for us. I didn't try it with my first (who is almost 11 now), but with my 15mo, he went from bleeding to peaches-n-creme in TWO DAYS!

Just remember, every formula works different for every baby – just like moisturizers do for us. Desitin does a great job, as does Balmex, and I've had success with both brands. But Burt's totally blew the others away for my little guy.

16. Cate
    August 24th, 2010 @ 12:54 am

What great pics and a fun 1st birthday! My hubs helped me plan our first born's birthday party during labor to help focus me and keep me looking forward.
    Of course – for me – the drugs were MUCH more help. 🙂
    I hope little J's diaper rash is better soon – I physically cringed when I read that part – I totally remember how horrible those kind of "bottoms" were.

17. JacksonsMommy
    August 24th, 2010 @ 2:10 am

Oh I love the little monkey theme how cute! Looks like you had a blast!

On the diaper rash, I am really no help, I have been SOO lucky *knock on wood* that J hasn't had a bad one yet. When he starts to get red though I use Johnsons no more rash and it goes away.

18. Janelle
    August 24th, 2010 @ 3:14 pm

We're battling diaper rash right now as well – my best tip is to ditch the wipes (or switch to a super-gently, non-alcohol kind) and just use a wet washcloth to clean him up – that at least doesn't burn and reduces the screaming.
    A's rash is from a little bout with upset tummy + crazy heat/humidity, so the Dr. has us dabbing mylanta on his bum and drying it with a blow dryer. A pain, but it seems to be helping? I'm also putting Bag Balm on, which I think is actually what is making it better – it is made for cow's udders and we get it at the feed store, but the stuff works!

19. Lisa
    August 30th, 2010 @ 3:18 pm

So this is a week late because I was on vacation last week, and I don't know if you'll see it. But here's what worked for us with very bad diaper rash (hopefully last week's episode is cleared up, but for future use):

A soak in aveno in the tub.

Let him "air out" for as long as possible with no diaper, pants, etc. For us, this meant spreading garbage bags over the floor, covered with towel, and just let him play in the buff for as long as you can handle it.

When putting a diaper back on, smear him up with Crisco. Yes, the stuff you can use to cook with. It's not water soluable, so nothing is going to get through it.

FYI, this advice came from a doctor, and it worked for us.