Saturday Stressors

Posted on | August 28, 2010 | 10 Comments

So yesterday when I picked up J from daycare, his teacher tells me that he’s moving up to the next classroom. We make small talk about what that means… he has to wear shoes, he’ll transition to sleeping on mats on the floor, he’ll eat from the kitchen at daycare instead of me bringing food… and then she says this:

“There are seven kids moving up from this class and we’re really only worried about J.”

Um… explain? Expound? EXCUSE ME???

Apparently she and the other teacher are worried about the food situation because J doesn’t do so well with “chewing” and swallowing. Namely, my child is all sorts of chipmunk about his food and like an hour after lunch you’ll see he’s found another tid bit stuffed in the back of his cheek and he’s full on going to town on it.

I get that some kids are carving up steak on their first birthday. I’ve seen some of the kids in his class. But my kid nursed exclusively until he was at least seven months old and I’m sorry if I didn’t have a guideline on teaching him how to mash up sandwiches. He’s one. He doesn’t need to eat ham and cheese sandwiches!!! He still gets puffs and cheerios, right? What is this sandwich stuff and why is she freaking me out about it?!?!

She assured me that I could bring my own food for J but I don’t want him to be the weird kid that all the teachers hate because they have to, you know, pay attention to him at lunch time. Next thing I know, they’re going to tell me he has to know how to use a spoon and feed himself. (Currently, he thinks spoons are for feeding the wall, his hair, the carpet, and sometimes the dog.)

The teacher also informed me that in Classroom Three, they “really don’t USE bottles so I should probably bring him sippy cups.”

WHAT DO YOU MEAN HE DOESN’T GET A BOTTLE!!! I was planning to just keep him on the bottle until he’s old enough to transition to beer. I don’t know how to handle all these changes that are afoot. It’s sort of stressing me out.

Just as a parting shot, before I left we discussed how he doesn’t really walk a lot at daycare. She says to me “It’s amazing to me that he can walk at all with those little feet.”

(Insert frantic mother examining size of child’s feet)

Thanks for the complex, teacher lady. Does anyone know how to make my son’s feet grow so he’s not a freaking Hobbit??

Comments

10 Responses to “Saturday Stressors”

1. Shandell
    August 28th, 2010 @ 5:16 pm

as mama + a teacher I am upset with you about those comments!
    1. there are much better ways she could have worded her concerns

2. your child is completely normal for his age. some kids don't walk at all until at or after 18 months, and my son also has trouble with chewing or spoons. normal, normal, normal.

sorry you were made to feel singled out. Even if J is the only one they are concerned about, she shouldn't have worded it that way. SUPER unprofessional.

2. Suzanne
    August 28th, 2010 @ 5:39 pm

My kid's feet are SUPER TINY – size 4 at 16 months – and he walks just fine. Bonus: he's going to be wearing the shoes I bought him for LAST winter this fall.

Don't worry about the eating. He'll get there. My kid refused all solids until he was 13 MONTHS and now eats nothing but granola bars, peanut butter and Wheat Thins. He's not starving and he's not developmentally delayed. He's actually a much better eater around other kids ("OOOOO I want that because it's not my food! Gimme gimme!") and I bet J gets interested after just a couple weeks.

Stupid teacher needs some communications training.

p.s. Baby Evan would totally get thrown out of your kid's day care, just for the shoe thing.

3. Sol
    August 28th, 2010 @ 9:48 pm

How did my oldest ever make it to 6 years old! Leah refused most real solids until nearly 18 months and didn't get the meal thing down till she was out of her toddler years.

Im sorry this teacher has made you feel this way. J is perfectly fine and they shouldn't be pushing you to push him.

4. Anonymous
    August 29th, 2010 @ 1:44 am

OMG! I am an early childhood teacher myself and I CANNOT believe she said those things to you! First of all, may I recommend a NEW child care for you? Geez!!
    First off, there is NOTHING wrong with the teachers "paying more attention" to J while he's eating. As a parent of a toddler myself, (one who HAS been eating steak since she was one, but only cuz she already had 16 teeth!) they SHOULD be watching him, (and all the others) like a HAWK for choking while they eat. Second, there is nothing wrong with a 1 yr old being on a bottle. I banned bottles from my PRESCHOOL class, but not a 1 yr old class, that's just absurd! My daughter drank from mostly a bottle until 15 months. I weined her from it when I was ready to do so, not when other people were ready for me to do so.

As a mother, you have to do what you know and feel is right for YOUR child. Carrying them inside your body and giving birth (or aquiring them in other ways too) gives you that right as a parent. I'd tell that teacher where she can shove her rude comments!!! Is she even CERTIFIED (special ed or teaching certificate) to be making those sort of judgement calls for your child? As a certified teacher myself, I am appaled by her. GRRRRR!

5. Anonymous
    August 29th, 2010 @ 1:44 am

6. PartyMom
    August 29th, 2010 @ 2:07 am

Here's where I come out of lurking (long time reader, first time poster). My daughter just turned one and although she may not be walking freely yet, her size 2 feet do just fine with cruising and standing.

We did just go through a change in daycare where she now sleeps on a cot and I got some strange looks when I said she still got 3 bottles a day. And I gave them some crazy looks when sandwiches were recommended. She only has four teeth!

Seriously, why is there so much pressure for our kids to grow up so fast? They're going to want to grow up too fast all on their own accord in a few years. I just want to enjoy baby/toddlerhood while it lasts.

7. Jayme
    August 29th, 2010 @ 2:37 am

I thought Hobbits had big hairy feet?

I can't believe she said all that crap to you! I mean, my guys are 14 months and still use bottles and crawl and absolutely hate having shoes on their feet. OH and the gag on food all the freakin time. They are babies!

8. Eliza
    August 29th, 2010 @ 4:03 pm

Oh for pete's sake…I am so sick of teachers (or other moms) making mommies freak out! Who says that kind of stuff!!! Seriously…J is doing great for his age. Maybe she is missing a sensitivity chip or something! WTF?

9. Blair@HeirtoBlair
    August 29th, 2010 @ 5:28 pm

It makes me want to throat-punch.

We discussed putting Harrison in the toddler room because he's walking so well, but I put my foot down & said "HELL NO" because they want him completely off a bottle, on center food, & napping on a cot. There's no way he can do that at 10 months old. NO WAY.

I think J sounds like he is doing perfectly fine.

& here's my thing with the bottles – there are kids that nurse until they are two. But just because my kid is on a bottle, he's supposed to magically drop the bottle?

10. TheNextMartha
    August 30th, 2010 @ 1:10 am

Um, what?! This woman must have coco puffs for brains. Who talks like that about a child? I'm sorry that someone has decided what all children should be like. Hang in there, maybe someday he'll kick her.