HIPAA — It’s not a female Hippopotamus

Posted on | October 27, 2010 | 22 Comments

So I was waffling about whether to post about what’s going on with me because it feels weird to get that kind of personal with people I don’t know. I’m so used to the whole HIPAA guidelines and how no medical information should be revealed without written release and all that jazz.

But I feel weird NOT sharing because I feel like you and I have this relationship built on trust. Maybe I’m wrong, but I feel like you know that when you drop by this little corner of the internet, you’re going to get the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth… so help me God.

So here’s what’s going on with me.

I’ve been feeling really tired. And I mean REALLY tired lately. You might have noticed. I’ve only talked about how tired I am a bajilion times in the last few months. I’ve also been in a lot of pain over the past few days. It started on Saturday but I could sort of shove it aside to party with my in-laws and hear my amazing Husband sing one heck of a solo on Sunday morning. On Monday, I went to work and sort of plodded through like I was surrounded by a giant mosquito net filled with cotton candy. Nothing really made sense except thinking about napping. Around lunch time I got really sick so I decided I might have a stomach flu and I headed home. I made an appointment with my doctor for Tuesday afternoon.

Here’s where it gets interesting. (NO, I’m not pregnant. Geez. 🙂 ) Apparently I’m losing blood. A lot of blood. And we’re not really sure at the moment where that blood is coming from… just that it’s coming out of me faster than my doctor would like. (read: there’s a lot of blood in my pee. Good times.) My tiredness is a result of losing so much blood. Makes sense, right? So I’m on an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory for one week to see if that makes a difference. If it doesn’t, then we’ll do some exploring to see what’s going on. If it does, I have the mother of all UTI’s and I move on. 🙂

Have you ever hoped for a UTI? I have. 🙂

Tuesday was a tough day. Husband went all over dramatic about how I might have kidney failure and why didn’t they put me in the hospital and did I need a kidney because he’d give me a kidney. (Side note, Doo Dah? I assured Husband that if I needed a kidney either you or Brother would be a better match so he could stop freaking out. Just FYI.) Once I calmed him down, I went a little Shelby on myself and started worrying about all the What If’s and Maybes until I thought my head would explode.

So the short story is, I’m losing blood. The long story? That I don’t know yet. But hopefully we’ll have an answer by next Tuesday. So I may not be posting as consistently over the next few days because I’m so tired. And honestly? Scared.

Bear with me, though. I’ll be back.

Comments

22 Responses to “HIPAA — It’s not a female Hippopotamus”

1. Alena @ Charmingly Chandler
    October 27th, 2010 @ 2:07 pm

I surprised they didn't scope. I had something similar-ish-sorta YEARS ago. And they scoped down my throat and well….up the other way. To make sure I didn't have bleeding in either one of those places.

I will hope for a UTI and not kidney failure. Kidney failure is SOOO 2001.

2. Angie
    October 27th, 2010 @ 2:08 pm

You're right… when I come here, I always know I'm going to get the truth from you. The good and the bad. And that's what I love.

I'm sorry you're loosing blood and I hope they sort this out soon. Sending good vibes your way through the blog-sphere 🙂

3. Suz
    October 27th, 2010 @ 2:08 pm

Oh my goodness! That is scary. Hoping & praying it's something small (like a UTI!) that they can quickly figure out & fix. Go rest!

4. Wendy Walker Cushing
    October 27th, 2010 @ 2:11 pm

That does not sound good! Worried for you even though I don't know you. Sending positive thoughts your way. Hope all is well soon and it is nothing too traumatic.

5. stark. raving. mad. mommy.
    October 27th, 2010 @ 2:12 pm

The fact that you said "I went a little Shelby" is yet more proof that you are a total rock star.

Rest up and get better. Hugs.

6. Suzanne
    October 27th, 2010 @ 2:13 pm

Is the blood…going somewhere? Because if you start leaking blood out of strange places that should be an automatic Go Directly To The Hospital, do not pass go, do not collect $200 card.

Sadly, my first thought was "Oooo I bet House would totally take this case!" So clearly I have nothing helpful to suggest. But I do hope you just have a UTI. You can join my UTI club.

p.s. In perhaps the most appropriate captcha ever your blog made me type "grouse" to post this comment.

7. Law Momma
    October 27th, 2010 @ 2:15 pm

LMAO you people make me laugh so hard. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers and happy times! I was wondering if anyone would get the "Shelby" comment and also I thought about House, too!!!

And the blood is microscopic blood… so it's not like there is a mass of red anywhere. Happily?

8. Alena @ Charmingly Chandler
    October 27th, 2010 @ 2:20 pm

But it's "a lot" of microscopic blood. Which means a small amount of mass of red blood. Somewhere.

9. Nicci @ Changing the Universe
    October 27th, 2010 @ 2:25 pm

EEK! Scary! Good luck! I'll cheering for Team UTI 🙂

10. ~*Jess*~
    October 27th, 2010 @ 2:25 pm

Oh honey! Feel better. They'll figure it out. And it's not like you're giving up attorney client privilege or something. It's all good in the hood.

11. WTH am I Doing?
    October 27th, 2010 @ 2:56 pm

Ew that's no fun. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a UTI for you! Good luck & I hope they get it all figured out so you can return to normal life…

12. Jennifer
    October 27th, 2010 @ 2:57 pm

Oh my goodness. Thinking good thoughts for nothing that a bit of anti-Bs and anti-inflammatories can't take care of. Rest up and take good care of you!

13. Mrs. MidAtlantic
    October 27th, 2010 @ 3:05 pm

Yikes! Hope it's just a UTI!
    I have hoped for one of those before… two days before my wedding! It wasn't fun, but better than the alternatives, right??

14. Jess
    October 27th, 2010 @ 4:19 pm

Oh wow! I'll be rooting for a UTI.
    I've only ever had ONE UTI my whole life. I was 14 and all the sudden, I was peeing massive ammounts of bloods. After a stay in the hospital and every test known to man, they concluded that it was just a {really, really bad} UTI. And they must've been right because here I am today, eight years later, completely healthy.

October 27th, 2010 @ 4:45 pm

cripes. I have more questions but I feel you probably need you rest so I will try to keep them at bay.

Thinking of you. Big hugs. I'm passing my strongs over to you.

16. Sara
    October 27th, 2010 @ 4:53 pm

Another member of Team UTI here… HOLLERR!

17. red
    October 27th, 2010 @ 6:41 pm

Sending good vibes your way!

18. The818
    October 27th, 2010 @ 6:42 pm

Oh lady! Please please please rest and feel better and don't have kidney failure! Please! xoxoxo

19. The Empress
    October 27th, 2010 @ 7:12 pm

I'll pray for good news, and something solvable.

Life can take such turns.

Please stay strong and positive. and rest.
    xo

20. HarmSkills
    October 28th, 2010 @ 12:42 am

just be sure to take care of yourself. that is the most important!

21. Amy
    October 28th, 2010 @ 2:02 am

OMG! I'm so sorry! Feel better soon!

22. L.K., aka The Little Bear
    October 29th, 2010 @ 3:21 am

I'm late on the post but sending lots of get-better-soon-vibes your way! I'll also join the UTI team, but my mother-in-law had a similar thing and turned out to be bleeding ulcer (slowly, painlessly bleeding ulcer). Sounded scary serious to us, but they fixed her right up and did an iron transfusion to help her get some energy back in the meantime. Hoping for a quick, non-scary result for you too! Thanks for the great blog (I too am a Southern lawyer with a forgetful husband)!