National Novel Writing Month

Posted on | November 3, 2010 | 8 Comments

So yesterday when I picked up J from daycare, I got this gem from his teacher:

Apparently when she was changing his diaper he, um, had an accident. (read: he peed… everywhere). And when he started to pee, apparently he began saying… over and over… “UH OH! UH OH! UH OH!”

She said she could hardly get his diaper on from laughing so hard.

What did we talk about before we became parents? What was so interesting in our days that we shared with our parents or spouses or siblings? What funny stories did we tell our friends? Because for the life of me, I can’t think of very many funny stories that don’t begin with “The other day, J?” …..

I am having a hard time remembering what I did before J. Which is why I’ve decided to take part in National Novel Writing Month. Yeah… because I don’t have enough on my plate. But here’s the thing… ever since I was a little girl, I have wanted to write a novel. But I’m full of this horrible little thing called self-doubt. What if I’m not good enough? What if I have a terrible “voice” and I get thousands of rejections? What if, what if, what if…

Well I’m sick of the what ifs. And in order to shut them all up, I’ve signed up to write a 50,000 page novel in 30 days. Yep. I’m that crazy. But this is important to me. It’s a way of saying “This is me and I embrace it.” I’m going to write a novel. And you know what? It’s probably going to be the worst novel ever… but it will be mine.

As a parent, I’ve lost a lot of the boundary between myself and my kid. I forget where his accomplishments end and mine begin. And he’s only 14 months. I want to be proud of myself for doing more than just birthing my child. I want to be proud of myself for accomplishing something other than motherhood.

So, today I’m off for some tests on my kidneys and when that’s all finished? I will be writing. Because it’s time I did something for me. Something I can talk about. Something that doesn’t start with “Remember when J….”

Comments

8 Responses to “National Novel Writing Month”

1. Caroline
    November 3rd, 2010 @ 12:57 pm

Good luck! My husband is participating and it's got me trying to think about what "my thing" is besides being mom. I'm glad you're working on yours!

2. ~*Jess*~
    November 3rd, 2010 @ 1:28 pm

I know you're almighty Law Momma, but certainly you meant 50,000 word right? Because 50,000 pages is downright scary 😉

3. Law Momma
    November 3rd, 2010 @ 1:33 pm

LOL!! Jess!!! How did I miss that? Yes, yes, and more yes. Clearly I meant 50,000 WORDS and not pages. If it were 50,000 pages I would quit now and forever hold my peace!

4. Kim
    November 3rd, 2010 @ 2:18 pm

ok, good! I was sooo hoping you meant 50,000 words!! I saw that and was all, "????" and "She has completely LOST it!" Hoping it goes GREAT for you!! And ps: yes, we do lose ourselves as moms. I know. Go find yourself!!

5. disastersindomesticity
    November 3rd, 2010 @ 2:38 pm

Good luck with both the writing and the test today! I thought about doing the NNWM but I know I just don't have the time. Maybe next year.

6. Alena @ Charmingly Chandler
    November 3rd, 2010 @ 3:40 pm

Dear Lordy when I read 50,000 pages I was wondering who was going to edit a novel of that magnitude for you! Oy!

November 4th, 2010 @ 8:08 pm

Woohoo! I'm toasting to your insanity right now!!

WOOOOOHOOOOO!!!

8. Eliza
    November 4th, 2010 @ 10:23 pm

well, this is amazing! I am so proud! I, on the other hand, am too wussy to undertake such an endeavor! Kudos to you and Good luck! I will totally read your novel!