Twenty Minutes in a Parking Lot

Posted on | November 5, 2010 | 9 Comments

As a working mom I have a really hard time with “me time.” I know, I know, it’s been said a million times. But it’s true. Because when I’m home from work I feel like I am robbing J of his Mommy time if I don’t spend the hour and a half before bedtime with him every day. And at the end of the day, I believe his Mommy time is more important than my Mommy time.

It’s tough.

Husband sings in the church choir and they practice on Wednesday nights. What this means is that on Wednesdays, I am a single parent until around 9:30 pm. I do dinner, bath, stories, snuggles, bed time… the works. And I don’t mind it. Sure, it’s easier when there are four hands but it’s just one night. Well yesterday I decided that it wasn’t quite fair that I had to single parent one day a week but Husband didn’t. Single parenting can be wonderful for both parent and kid… it’s nice one on one time without the other parent scolding, nagging, or in general getting in the way (I mean me. I’m a nagger. And a scolder.) So I emailed him today and said “Husband? Don’t work late tonight. I want some time off.”

When we got home, he was less than thrilled with the idea. It wasn’t that he didn’t want time with J, it was that he didn’t think it was fair that my time away from the house would be fun while his was working and choir practice. It was a weak argument, but semi-valid. I told him I was just going to run to the grocery store and would be back.

And I did it. I walked out and drove to the grocery store. I picked up a box of wine (yeah!) and when I got the check out, I thought to myself “Self? Get something fun.” So I snagged a People magazine. And not one to be talked out of excess, I grabbed US Weekly, too. (Hello? Story on a cheating Timberlake? Yes please.) I then proceeded to check out, walk to my car, crank up the engine… and sit there.

I sat in the parking lot and read the entire People Magazine. Cover to cover. Ever salacious detail. And you know what? It was amazing. I’m sure people thought there was something wrong with me but I didn’t care. I sat there and read my magazine.

When I finally returned home, Husband had finished dinner time and was well on his way to finishing bath time, too. Of course I helped out but I didn’t mind. I was right where I wanted to be.

It’s amazing what twenty minutes in a parking lot can do for your psyche!

Comments

9 Responses to “Twenty Minutes in a Parking Lot”

1. Raising Madison
    November 5th, 2010 @ 1:22 pm

Good for you! Every Sunday morning after we have a family breakfast I get dressed and go to the grocery store for an hour. It's lovely. I have my list, I browse sales and I feel really refreshed when I get back. It's nice.

2. Eliza
    November 5th, 2010 @ 4:58 pm

Yes! What a great idea!!! You are a genius!

(PS…why does the word genius always look weird to me, like I'm mispelling it? Am I? Also? Why does the word weird not follow the whole i before e except after c rule? I thought you might know because you are a GENIUS!)

3. lauren_vanhappy
    November 5th, 2010 @ 5:05 pm

I know how you feel… My husband works evenings so I do the single parent thing every night. He's jealous I get after bedtime to myself, but I go straight to bed so what's the use in that?!

November 5th, 2010 @ 5:14 pm

Um, so when we lived in the condo? We'd go to breakfast sunday mornings and almost every time alex would fall asleep in the car.

I'd drop David off so he could run upstairs and nap, and I'd sit in the car, parked in the park across the street and read my book while listening to Alex dream.

It was my favorite time of the week. I miss it.

5. Dre
    November 5th, 2010 @ 5:46 pm

Um, I am one of those freaks that reads Harry Potter books. When the last one came out, I was in the middle of a big project at work. So I had to go into the office on Saturday. I had to stop to pick up something at the store and hung out an extra half hour in the parking lot reading the book before going home. I don't read for fun as much as I used to because, I tend to fall asleep when I finally get some alone time at night. Even mini-breaks refresh mommies. Do it.

6. cltuptownmom
    November 5th, 2010 @ 10:34 pm

Love that you had posted about this! Funny we were just talking about this 2 hours earlier and then I read your post! An hour at Marshalls and I got a dress and an outfit. Felt bad about leaving the baby at home, but OMG it was super nice to be. in. a. store!! Felt like I was able to reconnect with the world! Power shopped for an hour, got 2 outfits, and came home and baby was still sleeping…. Can we say awesome? So if you find 20 minutes to read People cover to cover – GOOD FOR YOU!!! We need our time too and I am slowly discovering this! 🙂

7. Facie
    November 6th, 2010 @ 10:21 pm

I get your husband's point of view. For me it is not choir practice so much, but the actual Sunday singing that is an issue. I am gone over two hours with travel, warm-ups, and the actual mass. When I get home, my husband is ready for his time, but I feel as if I did not get my time, even though I was just gone for two hours.

Glad you had that time. Nothing like some trashy mags to put you in a better frame of mind.

8. lunablue
    November 7th, 2010 @ 4:09 am

you could bring an au pair into your home for less than 100 dollars a week (plus room and board) and then you don't have to worry about wiping down sticky counters or cleaning Js bathtub or folding laundry. or if J is sick or you don't feel like making dinner. All little jobs or big jobs and back up go to her.
    greataupair.com

9. Diana @Hormonal Imbalances
    November 7th, 2010 @ 5:16 pm

You've just inspired me to go have some me time. One of these days. I do dinner, bath and bed 5 nights a week, and the other 2 nights Sam does bath, so it would be great to have a night to myself.

And now I want to know about why Justing cheated.