Dr. J and Baby Hyde

Posted on | November 8, 2010 | 7 Comments

We have entered into a new phase in the Law Momma household. I don’t really know what to call it or, more importantly, how to fix it. It seems that J is becoming… testy. I can’t think of a better word for this attitude he’s emanating from all pores.

Our mornings have started going a little like this:

First, I am awakened by the sound of my child babbling. A sound I love more than anything in this world. He’s adorable in the mornings. Usually, he wake up saying “UH OH” because he can’t find his pacifier. He’ll say that over and over until he either finds the pacifier or gets sidetracked by something else in his crib. Husband and I will let him babble away for a while before we go in and get him; it gives us time to wake up, for one, and time to do at least a few morning things. Eventually, J gets tired of being in his crib and he starts yelling “MAMAMAMAMAMAMA! DADADADADA! UH OH! UH OH!” and any other word he can think of. Sometimes he just yells banana. Either way, when he starts yelling, it’s time to get him or there will be tears and lots of them.

This is when the fun begins. If Husband goes to get him, he happily gets his diaper changed and goes along with whatever Husband says. If I go get him? Totally. Different. Baby. He kicks. He slaps. He grabs fists full of my hair. I swear, he gets some sort of sick joy out of torturing me because he does all of this with this adorable little angelic smile. It’s ridiculous. I have bruises all over my stomach and thighs from my kid kicking me! Something is wrong with that, right?

Then we move to breakfast. J used to eat whatever we gave him. Pretty much all the time. Unless he hated it and then he would cry and we would know that he hated it and give him something else. Now? Not. So. Much. One day, his favorite thing in the world is peas. He will shovel them in at the speed of light. The next day that you give him peas, he looks at you like “What the hell? Who told you I like peas? Who the hell ordered this crap! ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME?” And proceeds to smash his hands down in the peas and smear them around the tray. It’s driving me crazy. It’s like living with an Alzheimer’s patient and I have to say “Yes, you like peas. Trust me. You do. Here, have a bite.” And he’s all “NO WAY DO I LIKE THESE! Who are you anyway? Where am I? Where’s my mom?!”

I can’t figure this kid out. Everyone at daycare raves over him. They are constantly telling me how sweet and wonderful he is; how easy going… how friendly. And then I get him home and his head spins around, he starts moving his finger around and repeating “Redrum! Redrum!” Is there an exorcist around? Has something taken over my child? I mean, I’ve read that children are more comfortable around their moms so they sort of hold everything in until they’re around the person they’re more comfortable with (or maybe that’s just something moms say?) but this is ridiculous. If he pulls one more chunk of hair out of my head, I’m going to need to invest in a wig!

Anyone else having these Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde moments?

Comments

7 Responses to “Dr. J and Baby Hyde”

1. stark. raving. mad. mommy.
    November 8th, 2010 @ 1:54 pm

Ha! I just posted today about being secretly glad that my Little Dude has had several meltdowns at school recently. I take it to mean that he's comfortable enough there to fall apart. My kids have *always* been the most comfortable falling apart on me. It's kind of like how when they need to puke, they need to puke *on me.*

2. MrsPatterson
    November 8th, 2010 @ 2:19 pm

Yes!! In fact, I think you must have stolen my child. He is the EXACT same. He beats the crap out of me but is sweet as pie to my husband. I honestly feel like I deserve a medal for changing his diaper. And he 'll eat spaghetti-o's every day for every meal one week, then the next week he's acting like we're feeding him poison if we dare set spaghetti-o's before him.

3. Mrs. MidAtlantic
    November 8th, 2010 @ 2:20 pm

Laura has been going through something like that lately. Except that when she sees me she becomes all weepy and needy, and won't let go of me. If I'm not around, she is happy and playful and cheery. The second she sees me? Tears till I pick her up. It's miserable!

4. Kim
    November 8th, 2010 @ 2:25 pm

Yup!! The only thing that saved me when Violet did this was when she'd start in on me, and my husband was home, I'd CALMLY leave the room (and that was the really really hard part. We'd figured out that she did want me, but wanted to be awful to me (b/c that made sense)so his coming in was somehow not pleasant. If he wasn't around, I'd leave her line of sight until she'd finished her rant. It.was.awful. And? She was an angel for other people. Always. My 3 1/2 year old is currently doing it and today we start boot camp. Good times.

5. Ms. Diva
    November 8th, 2010 @ 2:44 pm

How many times does he have to hit, scream at, or pull hair before Dad puts a stop to it? Men and women react differently to their children and children know it. When I was younger, that statement would have pissed me off!! But now I know different isn't bad, it's just different. He will always act differently with you two. Here is what my mom used to say about food issues: "Here is your choice – eat it or don't!" BTW, I will trade you toddler issues for teen issues ANY DAY!!!!

6. Mama Fisch
    November 8th, 2010 @ 3:07 pm

I just read in Parenting magazine (I only get it as a free gift from my OB) that what J is doing is actually a sign that he is comfortable and trusts you. They do it with people that they feel the safest with. I swear I am not making this up. Let me know and I will look for the blurb about it…

7. Heather
    November 8th, 2010 @ 5:33 pm

I'm having the same issue with food! Rebecca used to LOVE veggies of all kinds, now she will cry until she gets the meat and/or cheese. I'm trying to not "give in" and encourage the hissy fits, but it's tough. Yesterday, though, I made her peas and she wolfed them down. I feel SOOO clueless!