Allow me a little sniffle here and there…

Posted on | November 15, 2010 | 8 Comments

Tonight, I sat in the floor and read “Is Your Mama a Llama” for the nine billionth time.

J has taken to plopping down in my lap with a book and saying “Ba ba?” Which apparently means either “read this” or “book” we’re not sure which. Either way, I love it. I love that he loves books so much right now. Sure, it’s super annoying sometimes to read the same book over and over and over and oh yeah over. But tonight as I read about Lloyd the Llama with J, I realized that my baby is slipping away.

I’m not ashamed to admit that the Llama made me cry.

Don’t get me wrong, J is a baby still in so many ways. But in so many other ways, he’s a little boy. He runs. He climbs things. He says words! And the little noises like “uhgoyagoyagoya” and “blegallybleg?” are becoming fewer and farther between. I love the little boy he is becoming. He cracks me up on a regular basis. I mean, when he sits down and “reads I Love You Stinky Face, he makes this soft “ROAR” sound on every page. We’re not really sure why or where it came from, but it’s freaking hilarious. He also looks up whenever I walk into a room, even if I’ve only been gone for half a second and yells “MAMA” and raises his arms to be picked up.

I love this little boy so much that I read the Llama book over and over and over. And I try to cherish each time because it’s one time closer to the last time. You know, the time when he looks at me and says “I’ll read to myself tonight.”

I am starting to miss my snuggly little baby, even though I have such a wonderfully snuggly little boy. I just want to wrap my arms around him and breathe in the soft, post-bath smell of him until I fall asleep cradling him in my arms. It’s bad. The other night I wanted to snuggle him so bad that I actually got him out of his crib and slept snuggled up to him in the nursery bed. It had been too long since I’d gotten to do that. (SHUT UP! I didn’t even wake him up. And I shouldn’t have copped to this anyway!)  He’s only fifteen months, y’all… God help me when he gets any bigger! *sigh* He just keeps getting bigger and bigger and I still see him as this little baby who could barely hold my finger in the hospital.

It’s true what they say, isn’t it? They really do grow up so fast.

Comments

8 Responses to “Allow me a little sniffle here and there…”

1. Kim
    November 15th, 2010 @ 3:11 am

ssshhh, my 'baby' is 3 3/4 and every night he climbs in bed w/ me. I really do try to send him back. But then I wake up and there he is! All snuggled up, smelling just like you said. And yeah, they do go grow up so fast. Steal it while you can. I certainly do!

2. Ms. Diva
    November 15th, 2010 @ 4:04 pm

Rarely see a college boy snuggling in bed with mom – so enjoy it while you can!!!!! (ok bad visual but you understand….)

3. Tiffany
    November 15th, 2010 @ 5:07 pm

Gosh, I love that book.

4. Momalegal
    November 15th, 2010 @ 6:36 pm

Awww…so sweet. Yep, they grow up at warp speed. Mine is just over 3 and it feels like the baby days are so far away now. I still get to cuddle him when he first wakes up and is still sleepy eyed. But then he stands up & tells me he needs to get to his race car office. *sigh*

5. Kim
    November 15th, 2010 @ 8:01 pm

They grow ENTIRELY too fast. I'm still trying to find that pause button.

November 15th, 2010 @ 9:33 pm

Can you explain to me how you instilled this love of reading? Because in order to read to Alex I would need to get him to just. sit. still.

Which apparently, he's against doing. ever.

So sometimes, I just sit and read his books out loud to myself so I feel like a good mother. He largely ignores this.

7. Amy
    November 15th, 2010 @ 10:26 pm

Oh! Now I'm gonna cry! My baby is two weeks old tomorrow. Thanks for this. As a brand new mom I'll make sure to appreciate every snuggle with my baby. 😉

8. Suzanne
    November 16th, 2010 @ 12:12 am

This feeling is getting stronger and stronger for me, every single naptime when my dear little (19 month old) baby refuses to be rocked or cuddled and instead just asks to be put him his crib with his book to read himself to sleep. Sob sob sob sob. Luckily I planned ahead, so new baby will be here soon to fill in the empty cuddle spot in my heart.