Casual Friday and let’s not talk about Saturday, please, and thank you.

Posted on | November 19, 2010 | 11 Comments

I love that I can wear jeans to work on Friday. Especially this week. I need a day where I can be comfortable.

My boss, or at least my immediate in the office boss, does not wear jeans on Friday. He does not believe in the idea of a “Casual Friday.” In fact, I’m pretty sure he, like Barney Stinson, sleeps in a suit. But when I was hired, my Atlanta boss informed me that Fridays were casual and I could wear jeans. So I do it.

And man does it feel good.

After a week of wearing heels and you know, actually shaving my legs, it is nice to pull my hair back, throw on comfy shoes, and wear JEANS.

Life should have more casual Fridays. Just in general… days when you can just be comfy and cozy and not have to worry about what anyone thinks. I feel certain that there are people in the world who are like that every day. I hate them, but I am certain they exist. I, on the other hand, sit at the opposite end of the spectrum. I abhor my clothes and shoes because I can not compete with the cutesy clothes and fashoinista shoes worn by other attorneys in Savannah. Sometimes getting dressed in the morning feels more like torture than actual dressing. I survey my closet and think I’d be better off donating everything in there to Goodwill and starting over.

But on Fridays? It’s all good. I don’t have to think. I don’t have to wonder if I’ll look as professional as someone else. I just have to slip on my jeans and know that it’s Friday. And that makes for one good day.

But tomorrow? Tomorrow is a different story. Tomorrow, my husband is driving my son to Macon.

He is putting my darling son into the backseat of his car and driving, on the highway, for two hours.  They are going to meet my in-laws there and check on the house and let J play with his Mimi.  It’s a good idea… but every time I think about it I swear I’m breaking out in hives. I feel like the world is closing in on me and I just want to grab J and say “I CHANGED MY MIND” and then proceed to home school him forever.

How do people do this? How do you learn to let your child walk away from you when you know that anything can happen? I mean… ANYTHING can happen! It’s horrifying to think about. Oh, I just started think about it. Oh God. The hives.

I don’t have an answer.  I don’t even really have a coherent blog post today.  I am just floundering in a full on panic attack, wondering how I have managed to talk myself into letting my entire world buckle themselves into a car and leave me for a day.

Fates be kind. Please.

Comments

11 Responses to “Casual Friday and let’s not talk about Saturday, please, and thank you.”

1. Kim
    November 19th, 2010 @ 12:23 pm

I am the same way when it comes to my son. He just turned one and I am already crying inside over the fact that these next 4 years will FLY by and he'll be in school. I don't want to send him to a public school because this world is CRAZY!

Hang in there mama!

2. Blair@HeirtoBlair
    November 19th, 2010 @ 1:32 pm

I want casual Friday. NO FAIR.

Also? Let him go. & you, my friend, get a big ol' nap & cup of hot tea.

3. Ms. Diva
    November 19th, 2010 @ 2:06 pm

Hot tea nothing, you need a BIG margarita with the girls!
    PS I still worry everytime my kids walk out the door (stupid Criminal Minds!!) but now I get the added pressure of worring about how my daughter is watching my grandson!!!

November 19th, 2010 @ 3:15 pm

Take a long lunch and enjoy eating in your jeans. That's the only solution here.

5. legallyinsanemommy
    November 19th, 2010 @ 4:35 pm

I love casual Fridays – especially the sleeping in for an extra 10 minutes.

Of course there was the time I got called to court for an emergency motion on a casual Friday. Luckily the judge liked my boots.

As far as letting my kids go, I usually get over the worry after the long nap and first glass of wine!

6. Anonymous
    November 19th, 2010 @ 4:39 pm

I'm a biologist and I can wear jeans to work every day. Most days, I do. Some days it gets boring so I wear a skirt, just to shock the rest of the casual-dressing biologists…

7. Raising Madison
    November 19th, 2010 @ 6:53 pm

Oh dear, let him go and enjoy your Saturday. Do WHATEVER YOU WANT! 🙂

8. Mama Fisch
    November 19th, 2010 @ 8:19 pm

My high school does not have a dress code for kids or teachers. Some days my colleagues look like kids. Shorts are okay, flip flops and even more. But, it really is a nice perk when you need. I actually feel better dressed up…which is weird.
    On the weekend plan, LIVE IT UP. Sleep in, read a good book at a coffee shop, get pampered or just relax! Regardless, I am jealous and hope you enjoy the day! J will be fine and you deserve a day off!

9. Jennifer
    November 19th, 2010 @ 8:41 pm

Well in the famous words of Dory, If nothing ever happens to him… then nothing ever happens to him. Or something like that. Part of being a parent is letting go.

10. mommylebron
    November 21st, 2010 @ 4:12 pm

Aw, I know what you mean. I actually spent 12+ years working in daycare because I couldn't part completely with my monsters. Now? I am home schooling one and wishing I had a least a part time job so I could get a break! lol

11. andygirl
    November 22nd, 2010 @ 12:07 am

my old job was very suited up and chic and we had casual fridays, which I loved. then the new boss came, Mr Douchey Doucherson. and he abolished casual anything.

now I work from home. I make shit money but I get to work in my pajamas. living the dream. you can hate me now.