Fifteen Months and all is NOT well…

Posted on | November 30, 2010 | 13 Comments

My heretofore adorable and sweet son has taken to throwing temper tantrums.

Like full on temper tantrums. And I don’t know what to do about it.

Around 1 am last night, Husband and I were awakened by what sounded like a mournful little cry. So I went to check on my son. He was lying in his crib sobbing. When I went to pick him up, he began to flail his little arms and legs as fast as they could possibly flail and arched his back away from me while sobbing.

Dear God. If I didn’t know better I’d swear he was possessed.

When I finally picked him up, he went limp in my arms, screaming as loud as he could scream. Nothing made him happy. Walking? Torture. Sitting? WHY MOMMY? And don’t get me started on lying down. Finally, I was able to calm him down by wandering around the apartment with him while he pointed out all the Christmas decorations. Ultimately, after an hour of angry baby, he fell back asleep with the help of a swift kick to the head a bottle of milk.

This morning it was more of the same. I was rudely awakened by a slap to the face followed by a full fledged baby meltdown when I tried to change his sopping wet diaper. As if to add insult to injury, he finally calmed down and laughed….

When he peed on me.

Comments

13 Responses to “Fifteen Months and all is NOT well…”

1. Lauren Hale
    November 30th, 2010 @ 1:05 pm

((hugs))

My nearly three year old is just getting through a screeching phase. Maybe screeching isn't the right word. Squealing? Screaming as loudly as possible at random times during the day? It was almost as if he were performing lunch capacity checks.

And now?

Now we're into full on tantrums. Tears, arched back, yelling, NO! Pushing, hitting, and then yes, he laughs at me.

It comes and goes but is usually worse if he hasn't had a lot of sleep. Given that he was woken up at 6a this morning (when he usually sleeps until 730 or later), I'm sure today will be a real blast. I foresee an early naptime in his future.

I hope you get relief soon.

2. Kim
    November 30th, 2010 @ 1:18 pm

Can I please laugh at the peeing? Please? Because I have been peed on more times than I can count. When I was teaching (special ed.) I had a student that would pee on me every.single.time he got mad. So with my kids I'm always like BRING IT. But the tantruming IS difficult. Especially at 15 months. Because they are still your baby and so squishy and yummy and you worry that the tantrum means they are sick. My 5 year old is currently waking up in the middle of the night asking me to rearrange her room because "I can't sleep w/ the chair right there." etc. Isn't that comforting? 🙂

3. Mae
    November 30th, 2010 @ 1:27 pm

Dude! Piper went through this SAME THING at the same age. It was so effing weird. We ended up doing exactly the same thing, taking her out of the crib, out of the room, into a whole other part of the house. You're lucky you have Christmas decorations up for something new and distracting for him to look at. We had to go to the garage and be really really interested in the hot water heater. I don't know what her deal was but it sure made me sleepy.

We called it hitting the reset button. Never figured out what caussed it, but whatever it was the only solution was a complete distraction before a reattempt on the crib.

It stopped. Promise.

4. Susan
    November 30th, 2010 @ 1:43 pm

My almost 17 month old is learning to, shall we say, express herself.
    It's been really tough, but the silver lining is that one day she will be 18 and move out. Just kidding! But hopefully this will be a phase that passes as quickly as some of the other unpleasantness (um, can you say FOOD THROWING- it's not fun to notice the banana on your boob halfway through your morning meeting) that we have been through.
    Good luck!

5. Ms. Diva
    November 30th, 2010 @ 2:08 pm

My grandson is 16 months and is a screamer!!! It is so much easier being gma then mom. Been there done that and it doesn't faze me, I guess. Although he goes home tomorrow and I am planning a really long nap!!!! 🙂

6. Caroline
    November 30th, 2010 @ 2:13 pm

My fourteen month old started this at the EXACT same time he learned to be belligerent. I mean full on looking at mama while doing the exact thing I just told him NO about. Then Tantrums when I try to discipline. Sigh… we'll get through it, right?

7. Heather
    November 30th, 2010 @ 2:43 pm

Teething? Might explain the middle-of-the-night part.

Rebecca (almost a year) has been a monster lately. She only had 2 bottom teeth so she was due. Thanksgiving 2 of the teeth broke through (top sides, not the top middles), but I can feel the bumps and I suspect the top middle are on their way too.

I was saying it was either teeth or devil possession myself… SHe's been waking up horribly and crying at all her diaper changes…

8. Jessica
    November 30th, 2010 @ 3:54 pm

I just have to say, I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets peed on all the time. My son is only almost 3 months old, and has lately taken to screaming as well. I think he's teething but everyone tells me I'm crazy because he's still too young. But there's certainly times when he gets a full on wail that NOTHING seems to soothe.

9. molly
    November 30th, 2010 @ 5:26 pm

Ugh. Awful. Just awful. I loathe the temper tantrums. Sorry, mama.

10. erobell
    November 30th, 2010 @ 6:16 pm

My tantrum thrower is slightly older (2) and female {read:: biotch::}

She actually bites (things…thankfully) when she is really in the thick of it – and yesterday bit her blanket and acidentally got her skin through the blanket – I couldn't help but laugh as she wailed.

I know I'm going to hell but I figure the fun people will be there:)

the possessed tantrums will end…can't tell you when…but in the meantime – it makes for REALLY funny blog posts:)

Love the peed on part!!!

November 30th, 2010 @ 9:08 pm

I couldn't help laughing at your ending…but I feel guilty about it.

That said, Alex now throws temper tantrums at me too. I generally ignore them while his father does back flips to stop them.

12. Hoosier Momma
    December 1st, 2010 @ 12:49 am

My daughter started freaking out at night at about 7 months – sounds just like what you're going through. It really freaked us out and made us think something was seriously wrong – a change of environment (usually involving lights/noise) would stop the freak out and then we would have to get her back to sleep. It sucked but eventually stopped.

As far as the temper tantrums, I feel ya. My 13-month old started throwing them right at at the one-year mark. Generally (if I know she's safe), I ignore them. To kids this age, any attention is good attention. She'll usually distract herself back to reality and calm down. If not, I just whip out the paci and her lovey (last resort) and that usually does the trick!

Good luck and I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who lovely child throws tantrums this young!

13. Shelley
    December 2nd, 2010 @ 7:05 pm

The middle-of-the-night thing sounds like night terrors. It's best not to pick him up. Google it. We went through it and sometimes still do and our daughter is 3.