Pretty Paper, Pretty Ribbons…

Posted on | December 16, 2010 | 7 Comments

I took my son to the liquor store with me, today.

I’m pretty sure there either is, or should be, a country song that starts or ends that way.  I felt sort of… dirty. Not to mention terrified that at any moment J was going to sweep an arm out and shatter every bottle in the place. Those stores aren’t really kid friendly. (Hmmm… perhaps that’s on purpose?)

Regardless. I was that mom. With her kid. In a liquor store. Buying an astronomical amount of consumable happiness because that’s a lot of what we’re giving as gifts this year.  I’m always surprised by the sheer variety of ways you can drown your sorrows. I mean, there’s sweet tea vodka. There’s lemonade liqueur. There are a bazillion and three different flavors of vodka. You could spend a lifetime just trying every different kind of vodka and you would still probably miss one.

I’m a sucker for a pretty bottle, though. I always have been. I’ve been known to buy a bottle of wine based solely on the label or a bottle of alcohol based on the shape of the bottle. I like pretty bottles, pretty book covers, pretty clothes, and pretty people… I’m basically shallow. If it looks nice, I covet it in an unnatural and, okay, maybe stalkerish kind of way. It’s embarrassing.

I used to joke that I liked to surround myself with pretty things because it make people more interested in what I had to say. They would have to wonder how someone so average had such pretty friends and pretty things… CLEARLY I must be interesting or funny or something worth being around. As I’ve gotten older I realize that I like to be surrounded by pretty things because they make me feel prettier and even happier.  Like my gorgeous Plum colored coat I scored from Opal Vintage. I love wearing it. I can throw on that coat and my Ann Taylor scarf and feel like a million bucks, no matter what. That coat makes me feel … happy.

It’s pretty amazing that something so small can make such a large difference in your daily outlook.  I mean, I can not be sad when I am wearing that coat. I just can’t be. I can be having the worst day ever, but the moment I put on that coat I’m just transformed. Everyone should have something like that in their lives, you know? Everyone should have at least one thing that makes them feel beautiful, no matter what. Even if it’s a shade of lip gloss or a funky scarf. My pretty lately is my Plum coat coupled with my gray scarf.

What’s your pretty?  (I’m in the market for some new stuff, can you tell?)

Comments

7 Responses to “Pretty Paper, Pretty Ribbons…”

1. Raising Madison
    December 16th, 2010 @ 12:58 am

I remember taking Madison with me to the liquor store when she was like 2 months old. I definitely felt super classy.

Then I figured they probably all understood why I needed liquor. 😉

2. Ginger
    December 16th, 2010 @ 1:00 am

Hmmm, my pretty? I feel like I haven't had anything like that in a while.

Oh, wait. I have this ridiculous, totally cute pair of sequined zebra striped flats. They were $10 at Target, and they're absolutely ridiculous, but every time I wear them I smile. I catch a glimpse and they make me happy.

Great $10.

3. Mama Fisch
    December 16th, 2010 @ 1:31 am

My pretty is definitely my riding boots. Any time I wear them I feel good. I don't know why but every single time I wear them, I feel like I am in charge and on top of the world. That sounds weird. Oh well.

4. Bonnie
    December 16th, 2010 @ 7:53 am

My pretty is the baltic amber teething necklace I bought my daughter, now that she hasn't been teething for a while, I wear it. Don't judge me 😉

5. breedwoman
    December 16th, 2010 @ 1:05 pm

these black knee high boots i scored at rackroom. Cheap and soo totally cute. I feel sassy every time i wear them!
    Oh and a new whoo hoo. My leather coat my parents brought be back from Italy… swoon!

6. Ms. Diva
    December 16th, 2010 @ 1:34 pm

How have I missed SWEET TEA VODKA?!!!! Must go to Bev Mo immediately!!!

7. MrsPatterson
    December 16th, 2010 @ 3:30 pm

I'm 7 months pregnant with my 2nd, and it's tough to find my pretty these days. But I have this gorgeous sweater from Gap Maternity, and it is so chic and elegant – I feel like a hot mama whenever I wear it! Which is a nice departure from my usual feeling of frumpy mama.

Also, I buy things based on their looks as well! I bought my bosses wine for Christmas and based my selection almost entirely on how pretty the bottle was.