Posted on | December 31, 2010 | 4 Comments
Fear not, Friday Free for All will return next week so if you’re wondering why I haven’t posted your bit, that’s why! The holidays sort of interfered.
I previously shared with you guys several things I couldn’t live without over the holidays but that list turned out a little different than I had intended. I started out wanting to share a few products that I love and ended up writing a love sonnet to people and booze. Not exactly what was intended.
In light of all the other fantastic posts sharing the things that they love, I wanted to share with you some products that just make me happy. I’m not getting anything from anyone to share these, I just want you guys to know where the good stuff is! 🙂
SAVANNAH’S BEST EATS
** Keep in mind I’m a vegetarian. So although there are fantastic seafood restaurants and Southern-Style cooking places, I don’t eat there. Here’s what I know and love**
Pizza. And in particular, Basil’s Pizza and Deli in Savannah who have this amazing goat cheese, sundried tomato and basil pizza. It’s not a dish on the menu, it’s a “make it yourself” pizza. So try it anywhere else if you can’t get to Basil’s but if you’re ever in Savannah, head over to Wilmington Island and have them make you one. (Sorry I don’t have a picture… I should have ordered one just to photograph. Hmmm……….)
Okay, from left to right:
1. Mabel Francis Potter’s Cupcake Emporium. I die for their cupcakes. I’m a sweets person and these are some of the best cupcakes I’ve ever had. Plus they have new and different flavors everyday. Best part? They look as good as they taste!
2. Savannah Bee Company… everything there is amazing, especially their cosmetics and skin care but I am head over heels in love with their Winter White honey. It’s whipped and sweet and goes perfect with a warm scone. You can order it online and I suggest you do. Seriously. You’re going to die over this stuff. If you visit their store on Broughton Street you can order a Honey Latte and sample all of their different varieties of honey. Plus, there is a kid-friendly area for your little one to enjoy while you shop.
3. Two Smart Cookies. They sell milk in the store. Seriously. You walk in, and all you smell is the smell of warm cookies baking. Everything is so good but if you HAVE to choose just one cookie, I recommend the Ginger. Or the Sugar. Oh hell, just get a dozen.
And finally, my newest favorite, the amazing Zunzi‘s on York Street. Oh. My. God. Seriously? The best falafel I’ve ever had. And their hummus, as the owner will tell you, will make you say “yummus.” Seriously. He told me that. (He was right.)
Well that sounds skeezy, doesn’t it. But there are websites and people out there I have met and ordered from through this crazy internet world, and they deserve some love.
1. Modern Bird Studios. Dear Lord. The piece they did for my mother is perfect. Just like everything else they do. These folks are the real deal. They are artists. And you will be very happy with your investment in a Modern Bird art piece.
2. The Other Penguin. I love these guys more than my luggage. My Thumbcards are exactly what I needed. I got them made for my blog and I am about to have to order more. I hand them out to everyone… random strangers, people who hate me… really anyone who will stand still long enough to get one! They can be used to showcase your blog, your etsy page, your business… really anything in the world. And they are the perfect size and quality… like sturdy little Calling Cards that no one will want to throw away. Plus, they’re perfect for when you meet someone and you want to hang out again but you don’t want to be all “So. Can I get your digits?” because that’s creepy and hello? You’re married. Or not. Whatever. Just buy these.
3. Trista Hudzik Reynolds Pottery. See that bowl? That is my newest fave. A high school classmate has opened her own etsy shop to showcase the gorgeous pottery she’s making up in North Carolina. Trista Hudzik has a gift and if you go check out her etsy shop, you’ll want to own a little piece of her talent, promise.
4. Opal Vintage. Seriously. What would a list of my 2010 favorites be without a nod to the wonderful Mandy and her amazing thrift store? I bought my sister and my sister-in-law’s gifts there and both were a HUGE hit. She updates the site pretty regularly so if you haven’t checked it out, do so. And be amazed at what she can find for you! I bought myself a gorgeous cake platter, a funky re-painted decorative fork, and my favorite, a fabulous plum-colored coat that makes me feel very Grace Kelly, even though she probably never had a plum-colored coat.
There are so many more I’d love to list, but it’s early and any minute my kid is going to be up and wanting attention… so this is my incomplete list of things I love/loved/will continue to love forevah.
What new things did you discover in 2010? Any great places or websites you care to share? 2011 is looming just over the horizon and I’m looking for some brand new places to spend some money!