The Red Dress Club – Friday Prompt

Posted on | February 11, 2011 | 22 Comments

I decided to join up with the fantastic writers of The Red Dress Club in an effort to shake myself out of my writing funk and maybe remember what it means to actually… I don’t know, write? So the prompt this week was this… in 600 words or less write a piece that begins with “I could have never imagined” and ends with “Then the whole world shifted.” Here’s what you get from me. Be kind, please, I haven’t flexed my fiction skills in far to0 long.

Technically this is supposed to be posted on Friday but I’m a lousy rule follower so there.

I could have never imagined that we’d end up here, legs intertwined in a tapestry of togetherness.  It wasn’t where I’d intended to spend the afternoon or the evening and certainly not where I’d planned to wake up, stretching my arms up and outward, careful not to disturb the still, slow curve of his sleeping form.

Cutting my eyes slightly to the left I could almost make out the remnants of our clothes, scattered across the cluttered floor like teardrops. Each item a hazardous discard of my world before and after him.  I could feel my heart pounding fast against my chest, urging me to find my way out… begging me to collect the laced underwear of my dignity and scurry home. But I was too scared; scared to move, scared to leave, scared to do anything to break the pattern of longing.  I watched the rise and fall of him, memorizing every detail. His white blonde hair, the smooth tan of his skin, the curve of his earlobe. Everything. ..Even the familiarly faded, rose-colored scar running the length of his collar bone.

“Knife fight,” he’d laughed when I asked.  It was always something. Years of knowing him and his thoughts, knowing his words and his heart, had taught me better.  Knife fight. I almost laughed aloud there in the stillness of the room. Almost.

I let my head drop back against the cool pillow and wondered again why I always ended up here. Always to the right of him, awake and alone even there in the warm stillness of his bed, his sleeping body a silent reminder of everything I wish I had.

In a rush of courage, I slid from my side of the bed, clutching the warmth of his discarded comforter against my skin. The floor was icy cold on my feet and they stuck slightly against the chill, a terse suction of movement in the room. I paused as he shifted slightly, a sleep-filled sigh on his lips. The mere sight of his profile there in the bed gave me pause; I could stay here. He would let me stay here.  My courage fell down around my ankles, settling against the cool of the floor but stubborn, I managed to recloak, and began the motions of reaquainting myself with the familiarity of clothes.
One pair of too lacy underwear?  Check.

Victorias Secret Push up bra I only wear on special occasions?  Check.

Jeans still comfortably loose from the night before?  Check.

And in a final quick movement I pulled my sweater over my head and slid my feet back into the too-small pair of flats. I could leave before he knew the difference. I could leave and forget to remember that this whole thing happened. I could pretend everything was the same. I could pretend that we hadn’t fallen, again, into the striped sheets and checkered past.

I prayed the floor boards would hold their breath as I moved toward the bedroom door.  If I could just make it through the door I could wish the memories away again, banishing them back to the corners of my mind.

As I reached for the door knob, I swore I could hear him smiling. I looked back, turning to face him, knowing before our eyes met that he was awake.

He cleared his throat.

He said my name.

And then the whole world shifted.

Comments

22 Responses to “The Red Dress Club – Friday Prompt”

1. Tweets that mention The Red Dress Club – Friday Prompt : Law-Momma.com -- Topsy.com
    February 11th, 2011 @ 1:30 am

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Taming Insanity, LawMomma. LawMomma said: I'm joining The Red Dress Club this week so bear with me as I attempt fiction. http://fb.me/KdajskiO #TRDC […]

2. Leighann
    February 11th, 2011 @ 2:40 am

Oooh so so good! But all your writing is! Welcome to trdc so glad you joined!!

3. Jessica
    February 11th, 2011 @ 3:05 am

This is SO, unbelievably good. So glad you joined trdc so that I had a chance to read your writing.

4. Booyah's Momma
    February 11th, 2011 @ 5:55 am

Wow. I would say your writing funk has been cured. Or, if you’re still in a funk, I so want to be in a similar one.

Good stuff here.

5. Kelly
    February 11th, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

You jumped, with both feet!! 🙂

Great, great, great! So glad I met you on the TRDC twitter chat…

This? Is amazing. I want to know…did she go back? Did she leave???

6. D
    February 11th, 2011 @ 1:19 pm

Damn lawmomma, I want to read more!!!

7. Saucy
    February 11th, 2011 @ 2:36 pm

Wow! Just wow!!! I LOVED this. Great job flexing those muscles – they aren’t nearly as out of shape as you perceive them to be! XO

8. Frelle
    February 11th, 2011 @ 3:01 pm

hell. yeah.

homerun, mommalaw!

so many great lines and word pictures…

1. intertwined in a tapestry of togetherness.

2. Each item a hazardous discard of my world before and after him.

3. begging me to collect the laced underwear of my dignity and scurry home.

4. Years of knowing him and his thoughts, knowing his words and his heart, had taught me better.

5. his sleeping body a silent reminder of everything I wish I had.

6. My courage fell down around my ankles

7. I could pretend that we hadn’t fallen, again, into the striped sheets and checkered past.

WOW. Yay 🙂

9. Robin
    February 11th, 2011 @ 3:01 pm

Love this. Really love it! Nice work.

10. Kir
    February 11th, 2011 @ 3:03 pm

This was really great, I found through Erin on twitter and you did a fantastic job on this piece. I love how you feel like you’re there, feeling all those emotions. WOW.

11. Grace @ Arms Wide Open
    February 11th, 2011 @ 7:35 pm

WHOA! That is some amazing writing right there!

12. Angie @ On the rocks and straight up
    February 11th, 2011 @ 8:47 pm

Such gorgeous and vivid imagery in this! Loved the clothes scattered on the floor like teardrops, the “laced underwear of my dignity.”

And just when it might have gotten too serious, the scar from the knife fight. Perfect element to inject levity into it. I can see her, standing there, trying not to laugh.

Keep writing, hon. You’re so good!

13. Mandyland
    February 12th, 2011 @ 3:42 am

This was brilliant. Truly brilliant.

Your choice of words, how you strung them together, created a jewel of a piece. I want to know their before. I want to know their after.

I want to read much, much more!

This was such a joy to read.

14. Cheryl @ Mommypants
    February 12th, 2011 @ 5:21 am

SO glad you joined us! I really enjoyed this. Lots going on, lots of fabulous descriptions.

You make me hope they finally work it out this time.

Also, I pray the floorboards hold their breath every time I have to sneak into one of my kid’s rooms at night.. 😉

15. Mommylebron
    February 12th, 2011 @ 5:29 am

Do you know what I love about your writing? I get so absorbed in I forget why I was reading it! Prompt? Psh, what prompt? I love this, I love the details and the metaphors. I thing my favorite may be “into the striped sheets and checkered past”.

16. Jennifer
    February 12th, 2011 @ 8:04 pm

Oh, no! I don’t know if I’m supposed to be glad that he woke up or not! I was totally routing for her to get out of there with her wonderful ‘too lacy’ underwear, but now I don’t know…

17. Katie
    February 13th, 2011 @ 1:44 am

ok, I am not usually all that in to reading fiction online, but this was farking amazing. I LOVE your writing. LOVE IT!

please promise you will link up again. PLEASE!

18. Jill
    February 13th, 2011 @ 4:00 am

This was awesome! “..striped sheets & checkered past” Best line I’ve read all weekend.

19. Amy
    February 14th, 2011 @ 12:01 am

As Katie said, you better come back and post at trdc again!!

I loved this. Perfect description, perfect words, perfect. I find myself wanting to know why they got to where they are and what happens after he says her name!

Here from The Red Dress Club.

20. CDG
    February 14th, 2011 @ 8:16 pm

Love the inventory, the intimacy…

definitely made me wonder what checkered their past, since she’s so obviously sweet on some aspects of him…

more?

21. Midwest "Mom"ments
    February 14th, 2011 @ 9:09 pm

So. Well. Done!! Love that I found you through TRDC. I love the details – his earlobe, the loose jeans (can I get an amen!), and the turn of phrase “I could hear him smiling.” And I can relate to a relationship like that. Can’t wait to read more from you!

22. Sarcasm Goddess
    February 20th, 2011 @ 2:53 am

I love this story! I recently found your site, just joined the rest dress club and participated in my first prompt.

Favorite line: his sleeping body a silent reminder of everything I wish I had.

Can’t wait to read more!