Project: Me Monday

Posted on | February 14, 2011 | 8 Comments

It was brought to my attention that my post last Monday seemed at odds with the title of the meme I was linking up with. And I have to say I agree.  My journey isn’t about losing weight. It isn’t about calling myself a fatty any longer, either.  This journey is about self-preservation and self-discovery. So instead of calling my Monday reports “McFatty Monday” as I was doing in the past, I’ll be calling them “Project: Me Mondays” as in I am a work in progress, I am not fat… I am struggling, and I am embracing me just as I am today in the hopes of finding myself even happier tomorrow.

So here’s what I’m planning to do. Each and every Monday, I’ll check in as I’ve been doing, only under a new name. (Blog title, not a new blog name or anything.)  And each Monday, instead of saying how much weight I’ve lost or gained, I’m going to report on a new advancement in this Project: Me. Each week, I’ll have a new goal I’m adding to the mix; a new way to make things easier for me or my family; a new way to feel better about myself and my job; a new way to just be… I don’t know, a better version of me. Not that I’m bad… but hey, who couldn’t use an upgrade here and there?

My first step in Project: Me, is to do some restructuring.  There is plenty of time in the day, I just need to figure out how to best use that time to get to where I want to be.  So this week is going to be all about time management.  I want to examine my schedule and see where things can be tweaked to give me a little more “me” time.  Personally? I think it’s important for all moms to realize three things that they MUST have in order to feel like they haven’t lost themselves in the shuffle.  Maybe for you it’s Grey’s Anatomy, a bubble bath, and a glass of wine here and there… for me? I need time to exercise, time to read, and time to write.  Those are the three things I absolutely have to have in my life in order to feel complete. So this week, I’m going to figure out how to balance out my time so that I’m not giving everything away.  I need to keep some back for myself so that I can be the best me I can be.

Project: Me is going to be difficult, I won’t lie.  But it’s not just about me, you know? I have to be the best me I can be so that I can help J be the best J he can be. (I am feeling very Army all of a sudden!)  Please feel free to join me on this journey if you want to. I don’t have a fancy link up device or a button to share, but I think it’s important to realize that it’s not about losing weight… at least it shouldn’t be ONLY about losing weight. It’s about rediscovering who we are as women… outside of our children, our jobs, and our husbands.  It’s about feeling good about ourselves inside and out… and I don’t know about you, but for me? If I feel good inside, I am pretty much guaranteed to feel good about the outside of me, too.

Week One Project: Me Project: Examine my time. Keep track of what I’m doing in the time that I’m not at work and see how I can restructure my days to make sure that there is plenty of time left over for me.  Bonus goal: Actually use some of that restructured time to do one of the three things above!

Comments

8 Responses to “Project: Me Monday”

1. Lynn MacDonald
    February 14th, 2011 @ 1:05 pm

Great idea because really, if you don’t fix the infrastructure, you’ll fall apart anyways…

I love it! Good luck

2. Klz
    February 14th, 2011 @ 1:17 pm

Three cheers for self discovery!!

3. Jana A
    February 14th, 2011 @ 1:18 pm

I love Project: Me! I’ve been doing the same thing!

4. Tweets that mention Project: Me Monday : Law-Momma.com -- Topsy.com
    February 14th, 2011 @ 1:24 pm

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by JennaFarelyn, Lynn MacDonald and LawMomma, LawMomma. LawMomma said: Oh… this is the start of something new… http://fb.me/AWY3O56e […]

5. Blair@HeirtoBlair
    February 14th, 2011 @ 2:38 pm

love it 🙂

6. Angie @ On the rocks and straight up
    February 14th, 2011 @ 3:20 pm

Good for you! This makes me so happy to hear. I have been thinking along the same lines lately, trying to take care of myself, to find that “me” time, and hardest of all, to not feel guilty about it.

“Project Me.” Good stuff.

7. Caroline
    February 14th, 2011 @ 3:30 pm

I like it! I usually don’t participate in these blog meme-things, but this seems worthwhile. My goal this week is also to manage my time better. There is plenty of usable time in the day/ week, but I always seem to be behind and trying desperately to catch up. So this week I will schedule myself better and hopefully find a little me-time along the way.

8. R's Mom
    February 14th, 2011 @ 6:34 pm

Love it! I don’t have a blog, but I think I will participate just through reading your blog! I am about to have more “free” time on my hands (not because of anything dire, just because work will slow down soon and be back to 40-hr. weeks) and I had actually been thinking yesterday that I needed to figure out a schedule so that I can make sure i hit the gym, get things done around the house/yard that I want to do, etc., all the while spending as much time as possible with R. I’m still thinking about what my “three things” would be that you’ve mentioned in your post. Thanks for sharing your great idea. I look forward to joining you in a little self reflection/self improvement!