Living in HD

Posted on | February 22, 2011 | 6 Comments

Tonight I sat in the living room of my tiny apartment and watched How I Met Your Mother on our new 40 inch television.  Just as the credits started to roll, Husband turned away from his computer for a moment, flipped up his headphones and said “You know you can watch that in high definition, right? You just have to find the right channel.” I didn’t know but it didn’t matter, the show was already over. So I turned the television off and went to get ready for bed.

But the thought occurred to me that I could learn a lot from this new television.  Maybe I should spend a little more time learning the “right channels” so I can see things clearer.  God knows I am always in search of clarity.  I wish Husband had told me at the beginning of the show that I could watch it somewhere even better; that I could enjoy the picture in a way I never had before.  And I think that’s a lot like my life right now; I don’t want to get to the end of my life and have someone tell me that there was a better way to live it.  I don’t want to see the light at the end of the tunnel only to simultaneously hear “You know you could have lived a lot happier” or “You know you could have seen things a lot clearer.”

It’s all well and good to watch television in high definition but what about LIVING in high definition?  It’s awesome that you can see every blade of grass on the golf course inside your tv, but what about seeing the road laid out before you… every curve unfolded, every roadblock removed.  How do I get that picture? Where do I go to purchase a bigger life? Where do I go to find an HDLife?

I don’t have the answers.  I know that for some people, high definition comes through their job or their faith.  Some people find it in hobbies and others find it in their families.  I don’t know where to begin my search.  I just know that I’m so tired of living this life.  I’m tired of the dull, drab, mundane existence of get up, go to work, go to bed.  There has to be a way to get a clearer picture.  There has to be a way to find the right channel; the one that will spread life out in front of me with even the lowliest piece of grass intense and focused.

More and more days are finding me unsatisfied with the life I’m living.  More and more nights are spent wondering what I’m missing or what I’m doing wrong.  I get up, I go to work, I come home.  I eat, I sleep, I work.  I laugh, I cry, I hope. I love my family and I wouldn’t trade my little boy for anything in the world, but am I doing what is best for him by living this rote life? I don’t think so. I think I need to find a higher channel.  I need to find a way to clear out the cobwebs of my life and see things in sharper definition.

I need to start living my life the way it ought to be lived; I need to start living in high definition.

Comments

6 Responses to “Living in HD”

1. Tracie
    February 22nd, 2011 @ 7:19 am

My husband and I were talking about this the other day….we didn’t have a fancy analogy, but it was the same thing. Feeling that we are missing things, making choices without seeing the full picture, wanting more out of life.

yes. I want a High Definition Life.

2. Law Momma
    February 22nd, 2011 @ 6:17 pm

Great, Tracie! We’re in this together. Now, how do we get started?

3. R's Mom
    February 22nd, 2011 @ 2:45 pm

I think we all should strive for the HD life. But I have two observations (that are reflections of me, not you, but I want to share):

1. I am the type of person who always thinks I’m missing out on something…I always have been. Kind of a “grass must be greener on the other side” kind of gal. I sense that you might be like that, too. And when you are like me (us?), it’s always easy to look around and think that everyone’s else life is better, and that I should be doing something differently. But through the help of some wise counsel, I have learned to appreciate what I have…not settle, but not always feel like something could be better. And that brings me to point 2:

2. You don’t really know what you’re comparing yourself to. When I had some marriage struggles a few years back, I kept comparing myself to one of my colleagues, wondering what was missing from my marriage that she seemed to have…she and her husband seemed to be so laid back, always have fun, be “spur of the moment people,” and truely a give and take. But it was a facade, because now she and her husband are in the middle of an acrimonious divorce and my marriage is stronger than ever. And this online world of blogs and tweets is wonderful, but you are one of the more “real” bloggers I’ve run into on the great big internet…others we mostly get snippets, and we don’t really know what goes on beyond the computer screen. And I think that makes it easy to think they have perfect lives. When we read someone’s post about the perfect trip to the park, we extrapolate that every day for them is a perfect day at the park…and then wonder why our lives aren’t perfect days at the park, too. Does that make sense at all.

The point of this rambling is this: I think we should always strive to live our lives in a more fufilling way and to squeeze every ounce of goodness out of every day. But in looking at how to live your life in HD, don’t wonder what you’re “missing” because you might not be missing anything at all…

4. Law Momma
    February 22nd, 2011 @ 6:16 pm

R’s Mom: I totally agree. I often wonder if I’m missing out on something! But really, I’m not as concerned with that right now as just… I don’t know… being happier with the life I have. Whatever that means. 🙂

February 22nd, 2011 @ 3:24 pm

First: aren’t you so glad Zoe’s not the Mother?

Second: How’s sending out those book proposals going?

Third: Come. to. Chicago.

6. Law Momma
    February 22nd, 2011 @ 6:16 pm

Dude, I would LOVE to come to Chicago. You know, to visit. When it gets warmer.

And the book stuff? Eh. Whatever. I just want to keep putting myself out there… even if I get no response. 🙂

(also yes. So freaking glad she’s not the mother)