And Now For Something Completely Different…

Posted on | April 8, 2011 | 25 Comments

I never realized how stinking cute ducks are until last night.

Of course it helps when you get to see the duck through the eyes of your toddler.  The apartment complex we live in has this “duck pond” which is really more of a dirty lagoon with fish in it where a duck happens to have made his home.  J LOVES the duck.  When we get home from school, he points to the water and announces “QUACK QUACK!” very excitedly.  I’ve taken him over to the waters edge a couple of times but we don’t get too close because, well, it’s a dirty lagoon and also because I have a sneaking suspicion that ducks bite.  (I seem to remember that from somewhere.)

But yesterday? Yesterday J got a treat.  We got home from school, unloaded all our baggage (figuratively and literally) and had dinner.  And once dinner was over, I slid open the glass door to the tiny concrete patio and encouraged J to spend a little time “KIIIIIINE” which apparently means coloring… in this case, with the sidewalk chalk that sits on the patio.

Only when I walked out there with him, I noticed something.  The duck that is normally elusively swimming around the far end of the lagoon was no longer swimming.  He/She/It was, instead, waddling around in the grass just in front of our patio.

I picked J up and let him peer over the bushes.

His face lit up like a million candles.  There was a duck in his “yard.”

He pointed.

He grinned.

He waved and said “Quack quack quack” over and over.

And then we gave him a piece of bread to throw to the duck.

Granted, he couldn’t actually throw the pieces to where the duck was, although he tried.  His little arms packed enough power to chuck small pieces into the bushes at full speed.  So each time he would throw a bit uselessly into the bushes, Husband or I would arc a piece over the bushes and to the duck.

J was in heaven.

We stood out there and fed the duck one slice of bread for at least fifteen minutes, all the while, witnessing sheer joy on J’s face. (Not to mention the duck’s!)

When the duck had his fill, he waddled his little orange feet back down to the waters’ edge and swam away.  We watched him go, me trying to explain that the duck was ready for a swim, and J begging the duck to come back and maybe move in to the laundry room.

Although there were tears when the duck carelessly ignored J’s pleas, ultimately I was able to redirect and we moved on with our evening.

But I will never forget that look on J’s face, when he saw the duck so close and when he threw those tiny pieces of bread into the bushes to the hungry duck.

Witnessing even life’s tiniest and most mundane moments through the eyes of a child can be just …

Perfection.

Comments

25 Responses to “And Now For Something Completely Different…”

1. Ida Davidson
    April 8th, 2011 @ 5:01 pm

SO CUTE! I remember (too long ago… not long enough…) when my girls were so enthralled with these things. It definitely made me look at the every day world with fresh eyes once in a while. Thank you for sharing.

2. Mom on a Line
    April 8th, 2011 @ 5:27 pm

I love those moments and hold them close so that when days get hard, I have them at the ready. Thank you for sharing.

3. Sara
    April 8th, 2011 @ 6:42 pm

So happy you blogged this… when you’re frustrated it’s hard to remember the pure joy moments… thanks for sharing yours!

4. Small Moments Spotlight #12 | in these small moments
    April 9th, 2011 @ 3:49 am

[…] go read And Now For Something Completely Different … and please leave a comment for this beautiful woman who could really use one right […]

5. Katie
    April 9th, 2011 @ 4:06 am

isn’t it weird how when our life goes to shat in a hand basket, the smallest things can bring us, well, perfection?

I am fairly certain children are given to us to show us the things our grown-up-ness misses. To remind us how cute and great feeding ducks is.

This is awesome, you.

And I am thinking about you. You know, just so you know.

6. Bob Totans
    April 9th, 2011 @ 4:54 am

I’m drawn to 3 keys words in your beautiful story-

J…Perfection…..Heaven.

We can all fill in our little one’s initials and arrive at the same conclusion.
    However, you are truly blessed because you appreciate it now when it really counts.

7. Cheryl @ Mommypants
    April 9th, 2011 @ 5:02 am

A beautiful moment. A much-needed moment, finding joy in the simple things.

Thinking of you..

8. Kimberly
    April 9th, 2011 @ 7:14 am

I love moments like this. They get harder and harder to come by as they get older, but if you’re careful, you’ll see that face even into the teen years.

9. Ash
    April 9th, 2011 @ 12:28 pm

Oh that sweet little boy. The privilege of watching a new soul discover is a gift beyond measure. So glad that duck could provide a few moments of pure joy.

Sounds like my Youngest when we come across a construction site. Makes the traffic jams almost enjoyable.

You’re in my thoughts.

10. Lori @ In Pursuit of Martha Points
    April 9th, 2011 @ 2:21 pm

Don’t know about ducks, but geese bite (I know from a traumatic goose-vs-sevenyearoldonbike incident).

But how wonderful that you saw the magic on his face. Sometimes I worry that there were far more of those than I remember, but I was just too busy taking care of something.

Beautifully told, lovely lady.

11. Elena
    April 9th, 2011 @ 2:44 pm

What a beautiful post and a special moment with your little boy. It is amazing when we are able to see the world through their eyes.

12. Suniverse
    April 9th, 2011 @ 2:59 pm

That’s a lovely image. I forget how exciting every single thing can be to a small child. It’s good to remember and just take the time to enjoy it.

13. Varda (SquashedMom)
    April 9th, 2011 @ 3:08 pm

Nichole sent me here. What a lovely moment. One summer vacation week we rented a house on a river and had a momma duck with a nest at the edge of the property. The boys LOVED to watch and feed her.

I’m sorry things are so tough for you right now.

14. Klz
    April 9th, 2011 @ 4:28 pm

I Love that kid and you

15. tracy
    April 9th, 2011 @ 4:38 pm

This is so beautiful. Those simple and beautiful moments. Love this. xo

16. Mommy Nani Booboo
    April 9th, 2011 @ 4:51 pm

How beautiful and sweet. It’s the small pockets of joy that get us through the long stretches of crap.
    Lovely post.

17. Ashley
    April 9th, 2011 @ 5:53 pm

I wandered over from These Small Moments, and am so glad to have found you. Moments like the one you mention are what give mothers like us the strength to go on.

I am adding you to my reader and will be visiting often.

You are in my thoughts.

Ashley
    @theatomicmommy

18. Tonya
    April 9th, 2011 @ 8:54 pm

Sher joy, small moments, perfection <— these words stood out to me.

Thank you for sharing this special moment.

19. Melissa (Confessions of a Dr.Mom)
    April 9th, 2011 @ 9:06 pm

What a beautiful moment with your son. One I’m sure you will never forget.

Children do that to us.Make us stop, see the world through their eyes and it is just beautiful isn’t it?

20. knowitallnanna
    April 9th, 2011 @ 9:34 pm

You write beautifully. Your words are gentle and full of emotion and they will stay with me.

21. angela
    April 10th, 2011 @ 12:51 am

There is something so precious about experiencing something “new” through the eyes of our children. I am so pleased that you two were able to share that moment with the ducks and am so glad that you shared it with us as well!

Just beautiful writing; I felt like I was there with you and feeling his excitement & joy.

22. Dakotapam
    April 10th, 2011 @ 1:56 am

beautiful. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

23. Chunky Mama
    April 10th, 2011 @ 7:04 am

Awww… that’s awesome!
    Maybe the duck will come back now that he knows where to get a treat. 🙂

24. Tina @ Life Without Pink
    April 10th, 2011 @ 12:37 pm

I love moments like this…simple yet powerful. What a beautiful story 🙂

25. Midwest "Mom"ments
    April 11th, 2011 @ 4:57 pm

Beautiful! So glad to have found you through Nichole. (And I LOVE your blog tagline!)