Reading with J

Posted on | June 14, 2011 | 8 Comments

I love reading with my son.

It’s my favorite thing to do with him, because once he’s read a book once or twice,  he knows what to expect.  His eyes get wide when he knows the dinosaur is coming.  He giggles before the fish falls into the pot.  He sometimes says the words before I can get them out.  Watching his face light up in anticipation of the words is the best thing in the world.  He’s getting to the point now where he knows some of the words in his books.  In Llama Llama Red Pajama, which he loves, he knows at least one word on each page.  So I’ll turn the page and he’ll say “MOAN!” or “SINK!” or he’ll start to hum a tune.  In Pete the Cat, he announces “OH NO!” and then the colors on each page.

(It should be mentioned that if I don’t have instant time to read right when he wants me to, he will read his books by himself, carefully turning the pages of Winnie the Pooh and announcing “Pooh!” in between the gibberish, or “pigletpooh” or sometimes “-ee-grrr.” )

We have this nightly ritual now, where we come home from school/work and I get to work on dinner.  Usually, this means the television is on for J, although traditionally he alternates between watching a bit of whatever is on and wrapping his arms around the backs of my legs as I cook.  Once dinner is ready, we sit down together for family dinner which usually means I eat, he watches me eat, and then he says “Momma more?” and I have to admit that maybe Momma ate too fast and no, Momma doesn’t need any more.   After dinner, it’s bath time, and then pajama time and THEN it is play with Momma time… the best time of my day.   We build houses with his blocks for his horses to live in.  We race cars.  And, of course, we read.

I like to think that J looks forward to that time all day because I know that I do.  We just sit there on the floor, diving into book after book… finding the bunnies, guessing how much we love each other, laughing at the Cat in the Hat’s games, and asking dogs if they like our hats.  Nothing is more important to me than making sure my son loves to read because when everything else seems wrong or off-putting, you can always find something right in a book.  You can find adventure, fright, love, mystery, and humor in the pages of a book even if the rest of your world is crumbling down around you.

So no matter what happens in my day, I know that I’m spending at least 30 minutes, cross-legged on the floor with my son.  No matter how bad the day was or how miserable I might feel, I know that one thing is constant… When all else fails, J and I read.

It is the best part of my day.

Comments

8 Responses to “Reading with J”

1. TarynE
    June 14th, 2011 @ 8:52 am

I totally agree! I LOVE reading time with Luke every night… it only gets better as they get older 🙂 My mom even found me a copy of an old, old, old out-of-print Mercer Mayer book that I loved as a kid… and now Luke loves it too! 🙂

2. Kristin
    June 14th, 2011 @ 9:53 am

Have you downloaded Pete the Cat? Some of our best dance parties go along with “listening” to that book!

3. IdahoGirl
    June 14th, 2011 @ 11:27 am

I absolutely love to read with my little girl and I love that she’s learning to love to read. It really is the best part of the day. 🙂

4. Maija @ Maija's Mommy Moments
    June 14th, 2011 @ 2:17 pm

I love it. I couldn’t agree more. I count down the minutes to when I can “stop, drop and cuddle” my kids at the end of the day. No matter what else happens I know that at the end of the day I can snuggle the most amazing three people on the planet (to me of course).

5. KristinaYellow
    June 14th, 2011 @ 8:54 pm

I love this!! I think it’s so adorable when my little one “reads” to her stuffed animals or tells me the stories (on vacation we didn’t have her usual nightime books so I was just saying the words–and we alternated stories!)

6. Sara
    June 14th, 2011 @ 9:25 pm

Yay books! I know no matter how crappy my day was, the time Oliver and I spend reading in the evenings seems to wash it all away.

7. Jennifer
    June 17th, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

I’ve never commented on your blog before, but I had to for this post. I absolutely loved it. As an avid (usually Chick-lit, but whatever), reading time is something that I am looking forward to when my daughter is old enough to appreciate it. Thanks for brightening up my day!

8. Roxanne
    June 17th, 2011 @ 1:25 pm

What a wonderful tradition to start for J. I read to T every night (when he’s with me) and it’s made him a reader. He’s 4 & he’s memorized every word of so many books – he can start reading to me now! So not only is it all educational, but curling up in bed with him to read is just so relaxing.