Up and At ‘Em!

Posted on | June 21, 2011 | 21 Comments

I have a stress fracture on my right foot.  Surprisingly, this is not directly related to the stress levels in my life… wouldn’t that be something? If you got all stressed out and your bones just started breaking? But no, this is related to the fact that I have not been as active I should be and therefore my limited activity resulted in increased pressure on my feet… and SNAP.

Guess that’s a wake up call to activity, huh? I went out and scored not one, but three Jillian Michaels DVDs.  It’s time to get my ass in gear. I’ve spent the last two and a half months wallowing in wine and pizza and while I’ve lost a bit of weight, it’s only been from the sheer stress of it all.  Now it’s time to get serious.

Of course, I’m also in an orthopaedic shoe, so it may be a while before I can get REALLY active. And also I have no gym and no treadmill, so my activity will be limited to whatever I can do in front of my television or around my neighborhood.

Help me out… what are your go-to exercises? What do you do to keep in shape when you’re in an office most of your day? I’m trying to get up and walk around the office at least once an hour, but there has to be more I can do during the day, right?

Comments

21 Responses to “Up and At ‘Em!”

1. TheNextMartha
    June 21st, 2011 @ 10:20 am

I can not believe I don’t have an ass fracture.

2. TarynE
    June 21st, 2011 @ 10:23 am

I keep a set of resistance bands under my desk.. you can do arm curls and stuff while you’re on the phone or just sitting at your computer or reading. i’ve also heard getting a pedometer helps… makes you want to walk just a little bit more every day so you can get in more “steps.”

3. Natalie
    June 21st, 2011 @ 10:23 am

Do you have Netflix? There are some decent workouts on the watch instantly.
    I did the Self’s Bikini Challenge the other day & I’m still sore

4. Belilah
    June 21st, 2011 @ 10:34 am

I bellydance. It’s low impact, fun and great for your posture. It’s also done wonders for my self esteem and body image. There are lots of great videos out there and I know of several teachers in GA.

5. Katie
    June 21st, 2011 @ 10:42 am

Ok this is going to sound crazy but you NEED to check out Leslie Sansone’s walking DVDs. She is awesome. I started the 30 Day Shred but my body freaked out and was like “WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING TO ME” and I really hurt my knee. So I started doing Leslie’s walking workouts and I fell in love. They are low-impact but you get a sweat going. Plus she’s just so darn friendly and inspiring! Seriously, check them out.

6. Jamie
    June 21st, 2011 @ 11:11 am

I like Bethenny Frankel’s DVD–it’s low impact and yoga-based, and it’s challenging, but not crazy impossible. She’s also got a funny, wise-ass attitude about the workout that I appreciate.

Also, when your foot is better, get thee to a Zumba class! If you like dancing, you will have so much fun! You can enter your zip code at the Zumba website to find a class near you.

7. Steph
    June 21st, 2011 @ 11:26 am

First, I can totally make you feel better. The tendon that makes up my arch died. Did you know tendons can die? Yup, they can. They had to take tendon from my ankle and fix it, but there’s no tendon left so if more dies I am S.O.L.

No one had the heart to tell me what I already knew which is that my feet are bad because my ass is a mile wide.

Second, I walk the neighborhood because I can’t afford a gym or treadmill either. Luckily the neighborhood had some hills so it’s a good hike and I find that the walks I take will not only help bring my ass down to a half mile wide, but they are great for clearing your head and just being outside is a mood lifter.

Not sure what I am going to do in the Winter, but for now I am taking some weight off of myself AND my fat ass Papillion (honestly she’s huge) and feeling better mentally as well.

8. Nicci @ Changing the Universe
    June 21st, 2011 @ 11:26 am

Every night after dinner I strap the kiddo in the stroller and head to the park. On especially nice days, I pick the park further away. I power walk on the way there, chase around a toddler with Toddler ADD, then power walk back. It’s especially nice b/c the stroller has those handy dandy cup holders for your water bottles!

9. Christine
    June 21st, 2011 @ 11:33 am

I know this isn’t of immediate help with your bad foot and all…BUT jump rope!
    Whenever I get into a rut with my weight loss I jump rope in between walking days – not only does it get your cardio on (does great things for arms too) but it is an incredible calorie burner and can be done while watching the little guy play outside!

10. Kimberly
    June 21st, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

Really? Just what you needed eh?! Stupid bones

11. Nellie
    June 21st, 2011 @ 12:14 pm

I do the Jillian 30 Day shred, my girls love doing it with me, and they do the yoga too, although they totally don’t get the point of the relaxation pose and we end up rolling around on the floor tickling each other:0)

Also I don’t know if it’s possible with your schedule but my gym had free childcare so I go two or three days a week and the kids play while I do Zumba or whatever. My fees are only 20 bucks a month, i figure that’s less than I’d spend on a sitter and I get to go to the gym whenever I want to.

12. facie
    June 21st, 2011 @ 1:03 pm

Do you get a lunch? At my last job, we got an hour (unpaid), and my work husbands and I ate for 30 minutes and walked for 30. But you could cut that in half/adjust as necessary. Sometimes I do calf raises or butt squeezes in random places. It is good that you get up once an hour. Stay with that!

Here is something for when J is older but it works ONLY if you don’t care what others think: Sometimes when my kid and I are at the park, I step off and on the backless benches for 5 to 10 minutes at a time. It is nice to keep my eye on her and get exercise at the same time. Another park we go to has different levels, so I get exercise walking up and down the steep hills. And if there are steps there, I can run up them. I realize this is a few years away, but something to think about. My kid was in school before I started to workout again. Good luck!

13. Ruthie
    June 21st, 2011 @ 1:23 pm

My office exercise is going up/down three flights of steps to use the bathroom. I like to get the wee bit of exercise and it is a nice mental break. I also use a core balance disc for 30 minutes daily at my desk.

14. lisa
    June 21st, 2011 @ 1:30 pm

i did the jillian michaels 30 day shred. i LOVED it. each level has as a high and low impact option. start with low impact. They’re only 20 minutes so you have to bust your ass the whole time. but who can’t spare 20 minutes?? so, so , sooooo worth it. i love it.

15. IndyComp0T1
    June 21st, 2011 @ 1:52 pm

If you have a bit of privacy at the office, try doing some lunges and pushups. If you’re unable to start out with “regular” pushups, go with the “girlie” kind. You’ll eventually build up your strength. At lunch, either go for a walk or walk up and down the stairs a few times.

16. Mary
    June 21st, 2011 @ 2:23 pm

walking. I loved to put the children in strollers, wagons or what ever and walk. I lost 20 lbs walking last summer. Take care of the foot. and walking is freee.

17. monk
    June 21st, 2011 @ 2:42 pm

when I was getting married someone lent me a book “Bridal Bootcamp” i LOVE it. even though I am now married I still use it. and my new love…TRX. Something you can easily do at home!
    http://www.trxtraining.com (or something like that)
    xo.

18. Roxanne
    June 21st, 2011 @ 3:31 pm

I just got back into rollerblading on the weekends. And taking long walks in the early evening when I get home from work. It helps me unwind and gives T & I a chance to talk and enjoy each other’s company.

19. Kristine
    June 21st, 2011 @ 4:07 pm

If you get one of those big exercise balls, it’s fun for the kids (kid for you :D) and comes with some things to do. But if you do nothing else with the ball, use it as a chair…. at the table, to watch T.V., whenever you would normally lounge on the couch, sit on the ball (and keep your back straight). It helps your balance (I need lots of help there) and most importantly your core. Try to focus on using your stomach muscles instead of your back muscles to keep you steady. Have fun!

20. strugglingforeverafter
    June 21st, 2011 @ 9:11 pm

yeah … I am on my chair all day too. If you find some motivation, can you share with me? 🙂

21. Chandler
    June 22nd, 2011 @ 1:11 pm

If it isn’t too hot outside, I’ll take a stroll during lunch break at work. I have a “trail” of about 2-3 blocks each direction and I just make a big square.

But my biggest coup is the Physique 57 series (DVD). P57 has studios in LA, NYC and the Hamptons (maybe) but they have a great DVD series. They have 30minute workouts, both full body and targeted, as well as an hour workout. They are challenging, but wonderful. With 3 kids and working full time, I have to grab my exercise when I can– these are wonderful. They are not high impact, but boy do they work some muscles!

Good luck!