Ramblings, Whinings, and a few choice words

Posted on | June 23, 2011 | 13 Comments

When we lived in Savannah, J was pretty much sick constantly.  We went in for his 18 month check up, but he couldn’t get any of his shots because he had a fever at the time.  I didn’t think much about it at the time because, well, my life was about to get turned upside down and sideways.

On Friday, that eighteenth month appointment came back to bite me in the ass.

J’s daycare reminded me on Friday that I had not provided them with his shot records. Craaaaaaaaap.  No problem, I thought, Ex had visitation all weekend so he could bring the shot records from Savannah.  No worries… except… worries.  I called the doctor and their message informed me that it would take 72 hours to process the request. Cue obscenities.

Ultimately, it made more sense for them to mail it to me as they could mail it on Monday but Ex couldn’t pick it up until Tuesday. Nonsense, but whatever.  So my current daycare, which had been and still is fantastic and willing to work with me, grew very concerned.  Because if state accreditation shows up and they have a student with no shot records? That’s bad.  I don’t know how bad, but I didn’t want to find out.  I told them I’d keep J out of daycare until the records arrived.  Luckily, this conversation happened on Tuesday and the records arrived on Wednesday so J spent one “glorious” day at work with Momma and happily returned to school today, no worse for wear.

Except for the fact that his shots are outdated.  As in, he never got his 18 month shots.  So while I took his lovely shot records in to the school, the director sweetly informed me that they are still not valid because he’s technically four months past due on shots.  Which means, in between everything else I have on my plate today, I have to find time to get J in to see his Macon doctor, good old Dr. Bob, sometime today for his shots so that his records are up to date and he can stay happy and healthy and, of course, enrolled in daycare.

Meanwhile, in “adult” world, I also have to get thee to a bank and refinance my house and my car to get the loans out of my exes name so that they are mine all mine.  Hopefully this will result in a better rate on both and I can dance happily down the lane with my lower interest rate and lesser monthly payments.  Sadly, I think the value of my house is currently so low that I’ll be lucky to be able to borrow what’s left on my loan.

Ultimately, all is not bad in my world, however, because this morning I was the awesome mom who gave her not-quite-two year old S’mores poptarts for breakfast.  Yes. Chocolate and marshmellow. For breakfast.  But you know what? I might do it again because it lead to the most hilarious drive to school ever.

J sat in the back seat, holding his poptart and gleefully made up a song about chocolate breakfast… complete with dancing.

I call that a win.

Comments

13 Responses to “Ramblings, Whinings, and a few choice words”

1. Mrs. MidAtlantic
    June 23rd, 2011 @ 8:38 am

My mom’s idea of breakfast growing up was cake, since it’s just like a donut – but healthier! Cuz it’s not fried! And since I have survived to the ripe old age of 29, I’d imagine one pop-tart here and there for J is just fine.

2. Doeshell
    June 23rd, 2011 @ 8:45 am

You have handled everything thus far with grace and maturity (even if you feel like you haven’t)… Giving J breakfast for dessert once in a while is not going to kill him. That memory you have of him in the backseat is priceless…even if fueled by sugar. Hang in there, you’re doing great and tomorrow is Friday!

3. TarynE
    June 23rd, 2011 @ 10:27 am

LOL. love the pop-tart story… my almost 3-year old LOVES the mini-chocolate donuts(thanks grandpa!!!) so he gets them once a week. There are worse things in the world than chocolate for breakfast every now and then!! 🙂 You’re doing great!!!

4. Nellie
    June 23rd, 2011 @ 10:29 am

Ha! My munches were singing a song about pop tarts last night. We’ll Booger was, Pumpkin was sort of Humming along with Lady Gaga, win times two.

Good luck with the house refinancing. I hope you do get some lower payments, that’s always a blessing. Don’t you just love daycare and state reg’s, The rules are there to ensure you are not spreading small pox, but they make it all gestapo and crap.

5. IdahoGirl
    June 23rd, 2011 @ 10:44 am

Anytime you make good memories? Definately a win!

6. Hillary (BanksieU2)
    June 23rd, 2011 @ 11:04 am

I think its very impressive that you’re able to do all these things so quickly, it would have taken me forever to get all that shot stuff taken care of. Probably would have had a melt down in the midst of it.

7. lisa
    June 23rd, 2011 @ 11:26 am

awesome!

8. Prudence
    June 23rd, 2011 @ 11:50 am

for sure!! tonight try rolling down a hill w/ him – remember like we use to as kids – I did that w/ my daughter yesterday and felt like a million bucks. I’m slowly learning that work, bills, refi…etc will always be there – Our kids they won’t.

🙂

9. Kimberly
    June 23rd, 2011 @ 12:54 pm

I’m fairly certain that s’mores poptarts will cure any bad day.

10. Cybil
    June 23rd, 2011 @ 3:55 pm

S’mores poptarts are a primary food group at my house!

11. molly
    June 23rd, 2011 @ 10:06 pm

I hear ya on the shot records. Brigs was sick so much that his weren’t up to date either when we moved and had to switch daycares. It has been a clusterfu*k getting everything together for both boys so they can get started and making appointments to get B caught up on shots.

Ughhhh. I hope your payments are much lower. That will be awesome when it’s done.

p.s. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong but no matter how many times I follow your blog or subscribe it refuses to show up in my reader! So frustrating as I used to be a regular reader but I can’t be if it won’t let me know you’ve written a damn post. Sometimes the internet is a bummer.

12. Sara
    June 24th, 2011 @ 9:59 am

A chocolate breakfast song? Now I have the tune to “Chocolate Rain” running through my head.

13. Delia