A Little Bedtime Story

Posted on | July 11, 2011 | 17 Comments

J is getting more aware of poop and pee these days.  When he sees me sitting on the toilet, he wants to try, too.  He’ll sit there, leaning forward, his little legs dangling, and grin up at me.  After a few moments, he’ll nod happily and announce that he’s “all done” without doing much of anything.  I pick him up, congratulate him on sitting there, and reattach his diaper.

He’s even gotten to the point where he announces to me when his diaper needs to be changed… especially if it’s poop.  He’ll stand up and look at me, tugging on the back of his diaper, and say “Change diaper! Poop!”  Of course, sometimes, he says this and there is no poop… like the fourteen or so times I stopped on our 7 hour drive to change the poopy diaper that wasn’t poop.  So I’ve gotten in the habit of checking.  When I smell something funny or when he says “change diaper” I tell him to let me check and he turns around and let’s me look down the back of his diaper. (I stopped reaching in a LONG time ago… too much poop on fingers will scar you for life.)

This process came back full force to ruin bed time last night.  Lately, J has been throwing all out fits at bed time.  He jumps and screams and wails for me to let him sleep in Momma’s bed.  And because I’m such a sucker, I have started letting him sleep in Momma’s bed.  Last night, I laid him down in my bed and curled up next to him.  He flails around a lot when he’s trying to go to sleep so eventually, I had to roll onto my stomach to protect my girls from any more abuse.  After a few minutes, he rolled over and laid his head against the small of my back.  I rub his back when he goes to sleep, so he started to softly pat my back as he lays there.  I smiled against the pillow… my sweet boy.

And then, without warning, he reached down and lifted out the elastic waistband of both my pajama bottoms and my underwear.  I was too shocked to move for a second and then he spoke.

“No.  Momma no poo poo.”

And he let go of the elastic and patted my behind, the way I pat his when there’s nothing to change in his diaper.

Comments

17 Responses to “A Little Bedtime Story”

1. Heather
    July 11th, 2011 @ 9:58 am

He is so cute! We just bought a potty this weekend. I’m scared. I admit it.

2. Nicci @ Changing the Universe
    July 11th, 2011 @ 10:11 am

LOL!!! Oh my! I would have completely lost it if my babe said that! That is too cute!

July 11th, 2011 @ 10:12 am

They watch every single thing we do. It’s almost scary to think about. And hilarious.

4. Alissa
    July 11th, 2011 @ 10:16 am

OMG, I just died. That is too funny!

Here’s to hoping your girls don’t have to withstand too much more abuse!!

5. Mrs. MidAtlantic
    July 11th, 2011 @ 10:17 am

Tears streaming down my face, I am laughing so hard! HAHAHA! What a smarty-pants!

6. IdahoGirl
    July 11th, 2011 @ 10:37 am

That is SO adorably funny!

7. Emily
    July 11th, 2011 @ 10:43 am

Love it! What a smart little dude!

8. Adrianne
    July 11th, 2011 @ 10:49 am

I have a 2.5 year old little boy, so I can relate to so much of what you share about your little boy. This story was SO funny.

As for getting him into his own bed, it takes work and consistency. Aaron and I have snuggle time each night. I usually put something of his on my TV, we watch about 20 to 30 minutes of it while snuggling close, and I remind him every few minutes that when it goes bye bye, it’s time for him to go night night in his own bed. I’ll admit, early on, I had to go through a couple of nights of the horror of letting him cry it out for 45 minutes, but he soon got the hang of it, and now bedtime usually goes quite smoothly. Good luck!

9. Merrill
    July 11th, 2011 @ 11:20 am

That is so funny! I remember my daughter doing that to me too! She would also use socks on her hands as gloves, the way they did at daycare, when she was playing with her baby doll and changing the diaper–even taking them off the same way so they were inside out and wrapped up in a little ball! These little ones are so observant and mimic every thing we do!

10. Anthony from CharismaticKid
    July 11th, 2011 @ 11:54 am

You know, I’ve never heard of a child that WANTS to be potty trained.. but I think you got lucky with this one.

11. SoSaje
    July 11th, 2011 @ 12:29 pm

Too funny!!! 🙂 Sounds like my little one … at 18mth old she’d go downstairs to her play kitchen … and first thing she’d do is “make coffee.” Ha! I love these little hysterical moments. 🙂

12. Maija @ Maija's Mommy Moments
    July 11th, 2011 @ 12:55 pm

Such a good story to save for his wedding day!!!

13. kim
    July 11th, 2011 @ 1:59 pm

hole.lee.shit. this is the funniest thing i’ve read all day.

14. KristinaYellow
    July 11th, 2011 @ 2:51 pm

My nephew (about 18 months) was doing the same thing to his uncle…but pulled his pants completely down! Whoops–we all happened to be on vacation, in the kitchen, eating lunch. Too funny!

15. Miranda
    July 11th, 2011 @ 4:37 pm

Hahah! Too cute!

16. Nellie
    July 11th, 2011 @ 5:51 pm

Ha! the other day I was getting out of the shower and my almost 5 year old told me that my “girl parts” were cute. Thanks kid, I just did some landscaping, glad someone noticed.

She also said the “eyes on my chest” were very big and her’s were very small. you can’t make this stuff up.

17. Caroline
    July 11th, 2011 @ 6:24 pm

That was hilarious. Thanks for sharing.