Trinkets

Posted on | August 3, 2011 | 9 Comments

I’m not sure why I did it.  I don’t know if it was a need to say good bye or a need to remember the feeling of being loved, but today, I wore my wedding rings.  I clasped the necklace he gave me when we were still dating around my neck, and hooked the matching earrings through my ears.

I weighed myself down with the memory of his love.

I brought the cheap pearl necklace to work, the one I bought at Claire’s to wear to our wedding, and I gave it to my secretary.  She offered to pay me for it, but how do you put a price on a memory like that.  I didn’t want it any longer.  I couldn’t see it any longer, hanging there in my jewelry case.  The expensive pieces are harder to part with.  The pearls he gave me last Christmas, the Sorelli matching set, the wedding rings.  Those I can not part with… not yet.

And so I wore them today.  A reminder of what it felt like to still be loved by the man who swore to love me forever.

It was foolish, really.  And yet I find now that they are on, I can not muster the strength to take them off again.

Comments

9 Responses to “Trinkets”

1. Amy
    August 3rd, 2011 @ 1:40 pm

My mother-in-law had her rings melted down and made into a beautiful necklace. She couldn’t bear to part with them, but she didn’t want them as rings anymore either. She says this keeps the good parts. I don’t know. Just passing it on. I imagine that would be a very heavy weight indeed.

2. Jessi
    August 3rd, 2011 @ 1:49 pm

How hard, I’m sorry.

I would save the rings though for Jude. Those rings are what brought him into the world, he might like to give them to his bride one day.

3. Sarah
    August 3rd, 2011 @ 2:01 pm

I’m sorry you’re having a rough time with this.

I put my wedding rings away for Talulah. I’ll give them to her when she’s older and she can do what she pleases with them.

They are a symbol of the love that brought her into this world so I figured she might like to have them some day.

4. Andrea @paralegalmom
    August 3rd, 2011 @ 2:37 pm

My coworker had her wedding ring turned into a necklace.

5. Roxanne
    August 3rd, 2011 @ 3:00 pm

Around the time we were getting our divorce, my rings disappeared.

They aren’t worth much. We were poor when we got married. But I loved my engagement ring & wedding band. Loved them.

I still mourn their loss, because they are a symbol of the man I once loved and the man who gave me my little boy.

6. Adriane
    August 3rd, 2011 @ 4:28 pm

How difficult that is. 🙁

I saved my ring from my first marriage and then used the diamond on a trade at Jared for a rock double the size with my new husband. I know you’re not even close to being ready for that idea, but just something to think about.

7. Adriane
    August 3rd, 2011 @ 4:30 pm

P.S. I just realized how heartless that sounded. I only tell that story to give you hope that one day, those rings might not have near the emotion and hurt attached to them…because you have found someone even better.

8. Elizabeth
    August 3rd, 2011 @ 9:34 pm

Get a safe deposit box and put them there for safe keeping for J. They are pretty and won’t haunt your daughter in law.

9. buffi
    August 4th, 2011 @ 1:03 pm

I just want to get rid of all the jewelry X gave me – including my engagement/wedding rings – because they all seem tainted. They seem like symbols of a lie. Or years of lies. Of course this could have to do with the fact that he practically gloated when he told me that he had had girlfriends since before we got married. Hm.

Anyway, I decided that I wanted to sell my wedding rings since they had been appraised at about $5000. Turns out, the wedding ring I so lovingly helped design in 1993 with its Marquis diamond? Not so desirable in 2011. The most I’ve been offered is about $800. Maybe it’s a sign. But I was advised to wait until Marquis cut diamonds are back in style again and I can probably get more for it. So frustrating. I want to be rid of every part of him. Except these three incredible kids…