Monday Morning Blues

Posted on | September 19, 2011 | 15 Comments

I have a bad case of the Mondays.

It happens to me every time J has visitation with his father or I have a lazy weekend where I’m sick as a dog and I don’t get to spend a lot of time with J.  I miss my kid.  I don’t like getting him up out of his cozy bed, smoothing down his crazy bed head curls, and dressing him for school.  I don’t like bustling him into the car and driving him to daycare, only to leave him to have breakfast with his friends whil I drive off to work.

I don’t like leaving him.

With that in mind, I also know that I am a better mother to him because I work outside the home.

What, that surprises you?

It’s the truth.  I miss him horribly.  I miss his sweet curls and his soft gray eyes.  I miss the way he says “Momma too?” and scruntches up his mouth and looks at me all crooked and curious.  I sit at work and impatiently wait for the moment I can run out the door and tiptoe into his class saying “I wish I had a little boy to take home with me…” and wait for him to throw himself happily into my arms screaming “THAT’S MY MOMMY!”

If I were home with him all day, I know myself well enough that the moment of my day I would most look forward to would be, in alternate, nap time and bed time.  I would lose my patience.  I would roll my eyes.  His games and questions and concerns would start to wear on me like the curves and strands of his blue blanket.

I am a better mom because I work.

But I still miss the hell out of my kid. Especially on Mondays.

Comments

15 Responses to “Monday Morning Blues”

1. Jennifer Williams
    September 19th, 2011 @ 3:23 pm

Yes. This exactly.

2. rynerman
    September 19th, 2011 @ 3:27 pm

I could have written this (although less eloquently). I know I’m not cut out to be a SAHM. I do wish I worked a little less, but I know that if I didn’t work outside the home at all, I’d likely be a terrible parent.

3. R's Mom
    September 19th, 2011 @ 3:27 pm

Me, too! I’m having a case of the Monday’s as well. We had a great weekend…did some fun stuff on Saturday, and then Sunday was a lazy stay-at-home day that was just perfect. Lots of snuggles and books and choo-choos. I know that if I were home everyday, it would not be like our Sunday this weekend — because nothing productive got done! But all of that time with R just makes me want more…

4. Lola M.
    September 19th, 2011 @ 3:29 pm

So do I. 🙂

5. Nellie
    September 19th, 2011 @ 3:41 pm

I feel your pain, Honey. I leave mine at home with the hubster, but they are hard to leave, especially on mornings like this one, where the rain and thunder drove them into bed with me and their little lavender smelling curls and sleepy warm snugly little bodies are really hard to let go of.

6. Anonymous
    September 19th, 2011 @ 3:58 pm

Oh friend, you read my mind. I feel so bad when I’m home because I countdown to bedtime. I hope baby girl naps a bit longer. I get so frustrated. The moment they hit the sheets or they’re off at school I miss them. I feel horrible for losing my patience or not being the funnest mom ever.

7. Heather Kaplin
    September 19th, 2011 @ 4:27 pm

I am lucky enough to work part-time, and my work days are my “easy” days. I love my daughter to death, but I often feel guilty that I enjoy my time away from her, and I think I am a better mom when I’m not, like you said, constantly counting down to nap or bedtime… (and then feeling like a horrible person for thinking that way!)

I’m having a particularly crummy Monday too. I was supposed to be on vacation this week, and my mom was gonna watch my daughter so I could get away for a few days, but the plans fell through. I’m way more bummed than I thought I’d be…

8. Rachel D
    September 19th, 2011 @ 5:39 pm

amen sister!

9. Adrianne Farr
    September 19th, 2011 @ 7:12 pm

My little man also spent the weekend with his dad. I could have written this post today, and I am also a better mom because I work . . .

10. Heather AF
    September 19th, 2011 @ 8:12 pm

As a nonprofit attorney, I was able to take a month of work off in July to be with my kids. Three and seven~~~woo! They ran me down. I looked forward to nap. I loved it all, but was happy to go back to the restfulness of work!

11. Mama T
    September 19th, 2011 @ 8:15 pm

So true. I’ve been following your blog for a few months now and felt compelled to comment. We just returned home from a week’s vacation – one of the longest times I’ve spent with my 13-month old since maternity leave… and it STINKS to leave her and come back to work 🙁

12. Taming Insanity
    September 20th, 2011 @ 2:04 am

Not to pile on, but it seems as though feedburner has unsubscribed me from your site. So I’m not sure if Monday sucks for the realization that I’ve missed a bunch of posts or if it’s awesome for the fact that I finally realized it to get new ones.

13. lawmomma
    September 20th, 2011 @ 8:10 am

I had to reset my feedburner, actually. A lot of people were emailing and saying it was screwing up so I just ended that one and started a new one.

14. Kir
    September 20th, 2011 @ 4:48 pm

I say it all the time..that I am a BETTER MOM because I go to work, so I agree 100% and I also know that the moment that they come running to us when we walk in, the happiness that is evident in every single squeel is worth it…for all of us. GREAT POST. xo

15. Wendy
    September 21st, 2011 @ 7:45 pm

You’ve put into words exactly how I feel, and often feel guilty for feeling. But it’s true, I’m just not cut out to be there all day long. I don’t have the patience or the nerves for it. It doesn’t mean I love him any less, but some may certainly judge me for feeling this way. Mondays are always the hardest for me too – because we get to spend all day together on Saturday and Sunday and then we go our separate ways on Mondays. But I do love walking into the door and seeing him Monday afternoons – that smile makes my Monday so much brighter.