My Box of Life

Posted on | September 28, 2011 | 11 Comments

Some people laughingly repeat that life is like a box of chocolates, but I disagree.   See, with a box of chocolates, you can sample back and forth, putting back the things you don’t like and starting a new.  And when it’s all said and done, if you get to the end of the box, there’s always another one just waiting for you to buy it and crack it open.

Besides all that, life isn’t nearly as sweet.

My life has always been more like a box of sporting goods equipment.  Some of it I know what it’s for, and some of it I can’t figure out where to put, how to fasten, or what in the hell it’s supposed to protect.  Every day a new item is thrown at me and sometimes I know just what to do with it but other times? Other times I’m staring down at some foreign piece of equipment that may well be a jock strap or possibly an ancient Egyptian sling shot.  I don’t know where to put it.  I don’t know whether to pour my coffee in it or leave it lying on the counter.  This is one of those possible jock strap days.

My dog has arthritis and is now on a heftily priced medication to help ease his leg pain.  Heftily priced.  I don’t know whether to laugh or cry at the financial mess I find myself in most days and I’m still fighting a semi-losing battle with some mystery infection that comes on without warning.  My child is getting his two year molars, my ex-husband wants to date me, and the air conditioner is broken at my house.

So this is me, dressed in some kind of crazy athletic gear, battling life with a hockey stick and a pair of ice skates. With an ancient Egyptian jock strap on my head.

But the thing about life is this… beneath all of that craziness, beneath the too-big jersey and the skates I can’t wear, I’m still me.  I’m breathing.  My heart is beating, maybe a mile a minute, but it’s beating.  And at my side, my pint sized shadow is grinning.  He’s got his shin guards on with a football helmet and there’s a fencing shirt draped around his shoulders… but he’s grinning.  Because all the drama and the unknown that stresses me out? Well, that’s the stuff that’s fun for him.  This giant box of sports equipment that stresses me out is a giant box of awesome dress up gear for my son.

So when days like today threaten to get me down, I close my eyes, take a deep breath, and delve back into the madness of this box of life.  I laugh when I emerge with goggles on my eyes and flippers on my feet.  I laugh when I see the bank account dip down, down, down. I laugh when it seems as though the only thing to do is cry.  Because crying in goggles and flippers would look ridiculous.  Because life can be fun.  Because even when it’s too tight, too small, and too painful… it’s still life.

And being alive is pretty much all we have.

Comments

11 Responses to “My Box of Life”

1. Mrs Trophywife
    September 28th, 2011 @ 9:54 am

Hi lovey. I think of you often. Wish we were closer. Wish I had some great words. Instead, I just have air hugs to send.

2. Anonymous
    September 28th, 2011 @ 9:56 am

I know… I could go for a slice of pizza and a beer at that little restaurant near the highway… 🙂 Hugs back to you, friend.

3. Amy J
    September 28th, 2011 @ 9:59 am

Our older cat had arthritis and we were able to treat his pain with aspirin. I think it can also work for dogs and would be less costly. Maybe something to talk to your vet about.

I enjoy reading your blog and am sending good thoughts your way.

4. Heather Griffitts Clark
    September 28th, 2011 @ 10:43 am

On the bright side, it’s nearly October. It’s got to cool off soon, doesn’t it? (I’m really asking….up here in the frigid Pacific NW, we don’t have air conditioners in our homes….but take away my heating system? YIKES!)

Hang in there, lady….I truly believe it will all turn around for you… And if J is happy in the meantime – you’re doing a damn good job.

5. Anonymous
    September 28th, 2011 @ 10:48 am

Come to Chicago. We have the heat on here.

I’ll even cook for you.

6. Anonymous
    September 28th, 2011 @ 12:15 pm

yes please? I wish I had the funds to hop on a plane. I’d be at your door before you could even put up the “We’re totally not home, random internet stalker” sign!

7. Kristinayellow
    September 28th, 2011 @ 10:51 am

I love this-I always thought the box of chocolates was not the right way to approach life. For me, life is like a huge bunch of hardware. Screws, nails, tools, and more….all being hurled at you. Sometimes you know what it’s for (um, hammer? YUP!) and other times, well, it just hurts when it hits you.
    You are right-we have to laugh. And I hope it helps to know that you are providing laughter for all of us out here. Wish we could help you beyond saying prayers and sending positive energy your way.

8. Anonymous
    September 28th, 2011 @ 10:53 am

Ha! Yes!!! I love that analogy!

9. Amanda
    September 28th, 2011 @ 11:12 am

It certainly sounds like life is throwing you come curve balls and maybe you are wearing goggles when you should be wearing a helmet? Hang in there…there is more to life than work and money right 😉 I have these moments often and just remembering why we are doing it all helps. That little shadow can really pull you out from under the bed. Happy Humpday to you!

10. Anonymous
    September 28th, 2011 @ 11:25 am

That is such an awesome analogy. Much better than chocolates. I’ve never been good at sports … perhaps that says something about my life some days. lol

11. beachmum
    September 28th, 2011 @ 7:54 pm

2 things I heard that sorta made sense:

a) if you’re on this side of the dirt, you’re having a good day
    b) when there is 1/2 water in the glass, there is still 1/2 air so technically the glass is 1/2 full.

makes sense