Friday Ramble

Posted on | October 14, 2011 | 13 Comments

Doctors should operate more like HVAC mechanics.

When I call to get my air conditioner fixed and they come out to fix it and then it breaks again within 24 hours, they don’t charge me to fix it again.  (I should note that I have a home warranty and perhaps that’s why they don’t charge me again, but still.)  Because I feel like I get royally screwed by being observant and noticing that my child is getting sick.

On Wednesday night, we were up almost all night.  He couldn’t breathe and his cough was horrible.  I called the doctor first thing yesterday and took him in for a 2:30 appointment.  I was told he was okay but would need four breathing treatments a day and to just monitor him.  Last night, we were up all night again and this morning, my child is rocking a 103 fever, a nasty cough, and he can barely move without bawling his little eyes out.  I have to go back to the doctor today because I do not want him to end up with the flu or with bronchitis or anything else, which means in the course of two days I will have spent $60 on co-pays for one diagnosis.  And don’t get me started on the bill I’m probably going to get due to whatever deductible needs to be met plus whatever percentage I have to pay on top of that.

Is anyone else fed up with insurance companies?  Has anyone actually sat down and calculated how much they pay in medical expenses each year vs. what their insurance company pays? Because I really think I am paying for a company to not pay anything at this point.

Anyhow, this is just a long winded way of saying it’s Friday and I’m, yet again, working from home with a sick child.  I don’t quite know what my options are at this point with a son who gets sick as often as mine.  Do I continue to work from home whenever he’s sick?  Do I find a last minute available sitter who can watch him when he’s sick?  Am I being selfish in wanting to be here for him when he feels bad?   I don’t know the answer to any of these questions.  I just know it’s Friday and my big plans for pumpkin patches and play dates over the weekend are slowly fading away.

Happy Friday, I’m off to see my kid’s mechanic…

Comments

13 Responses to “Friday Ramble”

1. Jana Anthoine
    October 14th, 2011 @ 8:02 am

Ugh. Just UGH! I’m sorry he’s so sick and you’ve been up all night and all that junk. I think (but am not 100% sure) we’ve talked about the fact that from 18 months to his 3rd birthday, Henry was in the doctor’s office every other week with respiratory stuff. Breathing treatments 2-4x/day that whole time. It was horrible. They said it was asthma. And shortly after his 3rd birthday, ta-da! Gone. I hope the same for J. Here’s hoping for a quiet, doctor-free weekend for y’all. ((hugs))

2. Kathleen Cooney Hess
    October 14th, 2011 @ 8:51 am

When my son had RSV, we were admitted into the hospital and thankfully all he needed was an IV and pulse oxometer monitoring. A few months later, I get a ridiculous bill from the hospital, quite a bit higher than I expected. So I requested a line item breakout and reviewed it. Come to find out that based on his diagnosis number, they automatically added on treatments, that he never actually received, such as oxygen etc. I called up asked for a copy of his chart, and then called the billing dept. I got all the charges removed. Its absurd what goes on with insurance and medical care at times !

3. MaconMom
    October 14th, 2011 @ 9:51 am

I completely get it! From the time Monkey (no, not his real name… just what we call him) was 4 months old, we’ve been frequent visitors to the doctor. We met our $3000 deductible by January 18 of this year… yep 18 days was all it took. Monkey has slept through the night only 10 times in his 19 months. I feel your pain with sleep deprivation.

He’s had over 12 ear infections, two busted ear drums, bronchitis twice, two bacterial infections (not strep), strep one time, who knows how many colds and viruses. My sick leave is almost gone. I wish I could work from home, even if just for a day here and there when he is sick.

You are not selfish in the least to want to be there with him. We split days caring for Monkey when he’s sick, so that is a great help.

As for insurance and medical costs.. gulp. Our medical bills from the past three years have us in a bit of a financial pickle… a bad place, but it will get better over the next 6 years (Again, I’m not patient and stress over this constantly). I scrutinize all bills and the EOB’s and am always shocked how much we pay for a 5 minute visit with the ENT or other doctor.

If you can’t make it tomorrow but want to try for Sunday afternoon, just let me know. We’ll go both days!

Hope J is feeling better and that it doesn’t get worse. We’re heading to the doctor today for shots.. poor babies

4. Taming Insanity
    October 14th, 2011 @ 11:13 am

Actually, co-pays for sick visits at all grate my nerves. Insurance companies are a scam.

A scam I need, mind you, for just in case.

But still, irritating.

5. Anonymous
    October 14th, 2011 @ 2:36 pm

YES. This.

Husband’s insurance is changing after the first of the year, and not for the better. I can’t add them to mine till enrollment reopens in July. Big fun.

6. EJ Phillips
    October 14th, 2011 @ 9:53 pm

Boo. The good news is, he will have already caught all the junk by Kindergarten. My pediatrician says he can always tell the kids who don’t do playdates, day care, or preschool as they spend most of Kindergarten sick at home. But nebbing 4x a day bites. Savor the sick kid cuddles.

7. Amber
    October 14th, 2011 @ 10:40 pm

I hope that J got a good diagnosis, some good meds and is feeling better! Let us know about tomorrow. It sounds as if we may need to just meet up another week.

8. Anonymous
    October 15th, 2011 @ 8:03 am

Yeah… let’s hold off until November. My Ex has J next weekend but maybe the first weekend in November?

9. Amber
    October 15th, 2011 @ 8:14 am

ok, that sounds good for us. We are having a very busy month so it sort of works better for us to put it off a bit. 🙂 Hope J feels better soon!

10. maconmom
    October 15th, 2011 @ 8:23 am

I hope J is improving and you guys were able to rest last night.
    Amber, we are still heading to the park. I told a few other working moms, and I know one is coming.

Next Saturday is the riverdale jazz festival. If y’all don’t already go, it’s a pretty good time.

First weekend in November will be good!

11. Amber
    October 15th, 2011 @ 8:14 pm

I’m sorry! I’m just now seeing this. We ended up just taking it easy today, which I think we all needed.

I do really enjoy the riverdale festival, but I don’t think we will make it this year. I am hosting a gathering that night and will probably be frantically cleaning my house. 😉

I’m excited to meet some new people, so I will hope for good weather and healthy children the first weekend in November! 🙂

12. MaconMom
    November 2nd, 2011 @ 1:04 pm

Just checking in to see if you guys are still interested in going to the park this weekend. I have to work Saturday morning but am free after 1:30 and Sunday.

13. Allysha Woods
    October 14th, 2011 @ 11:57 pm

no fun, i hope he gets better soon. hope you have a great weekend!