Filling the Empty Spaces

Posted on | November 23, 2011 | 13 Comments

So I have this idea… and I’m not sure if it’s a good idea or a bad idea; I think that will depend on you.  There are a lot of people going through a tough time this holiday with starting over or starting again after divorce.  And this holiday season? Well, it just plain sucks.  I find myself reverting back to how I felt in May when all of this was fresh and new.  I find myself lying awake at night and wondering about things I’ve tried to forget about for six months.

But when I’m having a really bad day, I go to my PO Box and read my happy mail. And knowing that there are people out there who are thinking of me makes me feel a little stronger… a little more capable of handling the stress. So I was thinking, after reading some of the comments to yesterday’s post, that maybe all of us going through this should sort of band together.

What if we do an ornament exchange… something to help fill up the empty pockets of the tree where there used to be honeymoon and wedding ornaments.  Hell, I have like seventy different “Our first Christmas” ornaments that are going to have to be trashed or maybe put away to re-gift one day.  So what if we all do an exchange.  What if we all go out and spend no more than $10 on a brand new ornament for someone else; something to celebrate new beginnings… something to celebrate that there is, in fact, life and love after divorce.

Now I know Hallmark doesn’t sell “You just got divorced” ornaments, but there are a ton of ideas out there if you take the time to look.  If you want to be a part of this, or you know someone who wants to be a part of this (or SHOULD want to be a part of it) let me know in the comments.

There’s nothing better than getting happy mail… and I think this could be a really fun way for us all to encourage each other through this tough season.

So it’s up to you… who’s with me?

Comments

13 Responses to “Filling the Empty Spaces”

1. Elizabeth
    November 23rd, 2011 @ 10:29 am

I got a huge grin on my face when I saw this. What an awesome idea. I’d love to participate!

2. PW
    November 23rd, 2011 @ 10:41 am

What a wonderful idea! I would love to participate.

I’m a member of the “been there, done that” club and am amazed sometimes at how well you put into words the very thoughts and feelings I’ve had since my separation and divorce.

3. Evhaynes87
    November 23rd, 2011 @ 10:53 am

Sounds like a great idea!!! I’m in!

4. Taming Insanity
    November 23rd, 2011 @ 11:27 am

I’m in! Am I allowed to be in? Have you kicked me out of your club yet for all the bad jokes I make?

5. Anonymous
    November 23rd, 2011 @ 11:37 am

You are always part of the club m’dear

6. StartinOverWonderful
    November 23rd, 2011 @ 11:39 am

What a fantastic idea!! I am totally IN.

7. Roxanne Piskel
    November 23rd, 2011 @ 12:30 pm

I want in! This is a fantastic idea, lady. xo

8. Kimberly Dixon
    November 23rd, 2011 @ 2:19 pm

Last year was my first holiday “alone…” I was still reeling and mourning the marriage I had never wanted to end; I had a 2 year old and a newborn and had been separated 7 or 8 months. Thank God I had(have) my wonderful family to lean on. Pulling out all the special Christmas ornaments from my marriage was absolutely heartbreaking last year. I decided to go out and splurge on new special ornaments… luckily, I had a brand-new baby to commemorate… but it helped immensely.

This year, I’m healed from the loss of my marriage, and truly thankful for the decisions *he* made, because I found someone SO much more perfect for me…. BUT I also have to spend Thanksgiving without my sweet baby boys, because it’s *his* turn to have them this year. Divorce is horrible, and joint/shared custody is even worse, I think… but the good news is that it gets better, every single day. Next year this time you’ll look back to now and realize how very far you’ve come in your personal journey. I wish you a blessed Thanksgiving… and your idea? I think it’s a great one! 🙂

9. Lola M.
    November 23rd, 2011 @ 11:45 pm

I’m in!

10. Tara
    November 26th, 2011 @ 1:37 pm

I’m in too. I think it’s impowering.

11. Heatherleet
    November 27th, 2011 @ 5:50 pm

I’m in. It’s been six months since my ex left for another woman leaving me and myself on our own. It was a difficult thanksgiving so any little happiness would be wonderful.

12. Heatherleet
    November 27th, 2011 @ 5:51 pm

My son!!! Not me and myself… The holidays have messed me up. I’m in the same fog I was when this first happened

13. Anonymous
    November 27th, 2011 @ 5:56 pm

I feel your pain. The holidays bring everything back full force. I will create a spreadsheet and we will do this! There looks to be 10 people involved so that should work out nicely.
    Hang in there… sending hugs and love your way.