This year is almost over… right?

Posted on | December 28, 2011 | 6 Comments

**Streeeeeetch**

I’m not sure my fingers remember how to type after such a long break! How was your Christmas? How was your Hannukah? Kwanzaa? Big plans for New Years Eve?

I fully intended to write a beauty filled post about how magical Christmas was with J this year.  We drove around and looked at Christmas lights while he yelled from the back seat “LOOK MOMMA THERE’S MORE LIGHTS RIGHT THERE!” every few moments.  Then it became “Momma, you look out my window, too?”  There’s a neighborhood in my hometown that has bonded together to string lights across the road and trees to create this magical fairy wonderland of lights.  We went twice… but I only cried the first time.  And the Christmas Eve service was everything I hoped it would be.  We walked in to the church and J started yelling “Where’s Jesus, Mommy? I need to see Jesus!” which pretty much marked us as the religious freaks.  He continued to talk about Jesus for the rest of the service, including after he touched the stained glass windows with pictures of Jesus which lead to him telling everyone he saw that he “touched Jesus!”

I dropped him off with his other set of grandparents and his father on Monday and headed back to Macon.  My back had been hurting pretty badly for several weeks but the final straw came when I stopped for gas just outside of Atlanta and literally peed in my pants.  So Tuesday morning I found myself at a local orthopaedic urgent care.  I waited for about 20 minutes only to be pulled back by the nurse who quietly whispered to me “I understand you had a bout of urinary incontinence?” I nodded and she tells me “you’re too young for that, dear. You need to go to the ER.”

Apparently over 4 and under 70, it’s frowned upon to pee your pants.

So I spent the majority of Tuesday morning at the Hospital, having a series of tests run, including blood work, an x-ray, an initial trip into an MRI machine that resulted in me screaming and banging on the walls so I had to wait for an IV of drugs before continuing.  I was then released to return to the orthopaedist who diagnosed me with a very large disc herniation at L5-S1 and instructed me to engage in no bending, lifting, twisting or lengthy periods of sitting in order to avoid future back surgery.

Please stop and re-read those directions.  And then remember that I am a single mother to a 36 pound toddler.

My doctor refused to just shoot me and put me out of my misery so instead I’m stuck trying to figure out how to handle my jobs (both of them) without further injuring my back.  Basically? Sunday at 12:01 can not come soon enough. This year has been one trial after another and I’m hoping that bodes REALLY well for 2012.

What about you guys? How was the last week for you? Big plans for New Years’ Eve?

Comments

6 Responses to “This year is almost over… right?”

1. Jackie Henson
    December 28th, 2011 @ 1:50 pm

oh boy, I am so sorry to hear about your back, I do hope it gets better real soon & will keep you in my thoughts & prayers. My christmas was good, just busy & full of family which was nice 🙂 b really enjoyed her christmas too <3

2. Kreeper611
    December 28th, 2011 @ 2:28 pm

I can’t imagine hearing those instructions with a toddler at home! Hopefully J will get some excitement from helping mommy and you can get some rest. And here’s hoping 2012 brings a much better year. You deserve it.

3. Kristine
    December 28th, 2011 @ 2:34 pm

Wow, I can sympathize with you on the back stuff! I was having back pain & thought it was my sciatic nerve giving me troubles until we (my husband & i) realized I was pregnant. Then after even more pain & waiting until I could see the OB to get him to say ok could I get anyone to give me an MRI to find out I also have a severe herniation at L5-S1 and a bulging, almost herniated, disk at L4. And I (was) pregnant. With a 4 yr old. Oh, and my work — in-home daycare. Thank goodness my husband had just switched jobs because otherwise his old job couldn’t guarantee him home every night. The first 5 months of pregnancy I was stuck on the couch at night and during the day only getting up when my 4 yr old couldn’t do it herself. I spent many nights crying myself to sleep bc of the guilt I was feeling about the extra work my husband was having to do (did I mention we were in the middle of remodeling/adding on to our house ourselves?) and the extra responsibility my little girl was having to step into. After that I finally (my OB finally) found an someone willg to look at a pregnant lady’s charts to give me a steroid epidural. That only sort of worked. And yes, I was given your same instructions. As mothers, do the Dr’s REALLY think through what they’ve just said to us?!?! I’ve now had the baby, 12 days old!!!, and the back (mine actually refers its pain down my left side into my hip and leg) pain has come back. We still don’t know how that will turn out. But good luck to you. There are lots of options available to you.
    Kristine

4. Toni Hammer
    December 29th, 2011 @ 11:35 am

Awww. So sorry about your injury but way to go on keeping a sense of humor about it! I’ll be praying for quick healing and a lighter load to carry. 😉

For NYE I will be in bed by 8 as all 19 week pregnant women should be.

5. Kristinayellow
    December 29th, 2011 @ 9:44 pm

I hope you are feeling better. Love that J was asking about Jesus in mass. Mine was singing “Happy Birthday Jesus”…during the sermon….loudly. Gotta love kids! 🙂 Perhaps you can have someone stay with you over the weekend at least…just to help him run out some energy while you rest and then you can take over for special mommy/J movie time. HUGS

6. Caroline
    December 30th, 2011 @ 1:05 pm

Chiropractor. Seriously. I cannot recommend it enough. I used to go to Perry Chiropractic when I lived in Macon, but I’m sure you don’t want to drive that far, so ask around and find someone good there. Just remember; your back didn’t get that way in one day, so don’t expect a miracle cure in one visit. It will probably take several visits over a period of time to get everything aligned back up, but that is MUCH, MUCH, preferable to back surgery.

(This is from a woman who actually had two vertebrae pop! out! and has had I don’t know how many visits to the ER, how many shots for pain management, etc. Regular chiropractic visits -initially three times a week, then twice a week, then once a week, and eventually down to as little as once a month – have all but solved my back problems. And I have a son who is one month younger than yours, so I truly do feel your pain….)