Is the Week Over Yet?

Posted on | February 16, 2012 | 12 Comments

You ever have one of those weeks where you think “I’ve had enough, thanks”?

A week when, by Thursday, you’ve become a walking zombie who is going through the motions until Saturday gets here?

This is one of those weeks for me.

On Monday, I ended up in a three hour meeting with a client and a calculator and I do NOT do math.  On Tuesday, I went to get on the elevator and managed to drop my ginormous ring of keys directly down into the small space between the floor and the elevator… and all the way down the elevator shaft.  On Wednesday, I went to get blood drawn for my pre-op and actually ended up sobbing over a small needle in my arm like the pansy I am.

And the kicker came on Wednesday afternoon, when I got a phone call from an opposing counsel.  I was sick at the end of last week and missed a day and a half of work, which just makes paper multiply on my desk.  I did try to stay on top of all my emails but I was … sick.  And on top of feeling bad in my sinuses, I’m still taking pain pills for the horrible sting of my back.  So I get this call yesterday from an opposing counsel about a consent order he sent me earlier this week or last.

I’d shot him an email yesterday morning about the consent order because we were arguing about two thousand dollars.  I was insistent on $9,500, he was insistent on $7,500.  The last email I had from him said he was going to have his assistant send me the consent order for $7,500 and he hoped I would agree.  So while he’d sent me the consent order, I didn’t read it… I just shot back an email saying we couldn’t agree to the $7,500 but that I’d agree to $8,500.

Cue the phone call.

It seems that, although he TOLD me the consent order would be for $7,500, he actually sent a consent order for $9,500.  The full amount I wanted.  But I didn’t know… BECAUSE I DIDN”T READ THE CONSENT ORDER.

I’ve never wanted to shoot myself in the face so much in my life.  Ultimately, we agreed to do the consent order for $9,000 in light of the miscommunication… so I basically threw away $500.

I am not that kind of lawyer.  I don’t make those kinds of mistakes.

But this week has been just that kind of week.  I’m embarrassed and exhausted and can’t wait for it to be over.   I’m overworked at work and at home.  I need a break from both, a week to regain my sanity and my competency.  Because I can’t keep making silly mistakes like the ones I’ve made this week.

Have you ever had these kind of weeks?

Tell me I’m not alone.

Comments

12 Responses to “Is the Week Over Yet?”

1. Jana A (@jana0926)
    February 16th, 2012 @ 7:48 am

Oh, this week has been a royal cluster#&%^ here, too. Yes, I’m ready for it to be over, too. BLEH. Here’s to a better weekend and week.

2. Doeshell
    February 16th, 2012 @ 8:07 am

Same here. Of course, I’m just trying to pass the bar in order to be able to make those mistakes! ha… just kidding… sort of. Let’s be happy its Thursday… one more day until that sweet weekend. Do you get off for President’s Day? I hope so!

3. J. Carr
    February 16th, 2012 @ 8:56 am

We all have those weeks, babe. Do me a favor, sit down and write a list of 5 awesome things that happened this week. That way, you’ll be able to focus on some of the positive, and the negative will look smaller. If you sit around and beat yourself up over the negative, you’ll never get ahead. Learn to forgive yourself, and keep being the amazing woman you are!!

4. Kathleen Cooney Hess
    February 16th, 2012 @ 9:09 am

Every week is that week for me, I assumed it was the same for all of us working mothers!!!!

Chin Up!!!

5. Anonymous
    February 16th, 2012 @ 9:14 am

You mean like last week when I damn near broke our mirror off the truck when I hit the mirror of a parked truck while I was driving? Totally. Hugs.

6. Chunky Mama
    February 16th, 2012 @ 11:33 am

Yes, I have these weeks alllll the time. You’re almost to the weekend! Hopefully, you’ll have some time then to sit and catch your breath.

I’m sorry to hear your back is still troubling you. Sending healing thoughts your way, along with hugs and a wish for a little less chaos.

7. MaconMom
    February 16th, 2012 @ 11:38 am

Those weeks that I can’t decided if I want to delete, rewind and start over, or just fast forward. You are so not alone.

Bring on the weekend!

Hope you are soon pain free!

8. Tracy
    February 16th, 2012 @ 4:42 pm

You are so not alone. How about all those times I’m standing up in front of 30 students and I have no flipping clue what I’m doing? 😉 We’ve all been there. So much on the working momma brain before sickness and pain even make it into the mix.

9. beachmum
    February 16th, 2012 @ 4:45 pm

nope, not alone. Monday-Thursday has been a blurr of working mother guilt, subsequent tears, resulting in a mental health day and a lot of door slamming by one very angry fed up husband. Dissolving in tears over the slightest thing, no money til pay day and running out of wine. *sigh* Call me on myProgresso soup can because that’s about all I’ve got.

10. CAlawmama
    February 16th, 2012 @ 11:20 pm

Sorry you’re having a bad week. I’m a law mama too, although I’m not practicing right now, and I couldn’t calculate a future value to save my life, according to my disastrous Tort’s final first year, no calculators aloud, boo! 😉

11. Amber
    February 17th, 2012 @ 9:21 am

I’ve totally had weeks like those. I was teaching a class once, with nearly 200 students, and was going to email them a study guide for the final, and accidentally attached the actual final to the message! Had to totally rewrite it, and was so embarrassed.

12. rynerman
    February 17th, 2012 @ 3:12 pm

I am late to comment precisely because I’m having one of those week. Am in trial, which sucks, my daughter got a fever and was excluded from daycare for two days and on day two my husband had a mission critical meeting he could not miss at work. So we juggled care, I worked late, my boss was sympathetic but still irritated. I just wanted to win the lottery and climb in a hole and never work again. Instead, I got up this morning, came to work, and kept going because reality is a pain 😉