Super Me

Posted on | April 5, 2012 | 9 Comments

For whatever reason, lately J has been really into superheroes.

We don’t watch Spiderman or Batman or anything like that, but he is constantly talking about them anyway.  One of the things I did when I was desperate for time alone at work when he was out of daycare sick was download the entire first season of The Backyardigans for him to watch on my iPad.  It’s one of the few shows that he loves that doesn’t annoy the hell out of me, so I was willing to shell out the $15 for the entire season just to keep him quiet.

One of the episodes is about superheroes and that has played right in to his current obsession.  He watches it on repeat, at least twice a day if allowed, and talks about Mr. Yucky like he’s the next door neighbor.

This morning, we were up at 4:30, so there was a lot of television watching… namely The Backyardigans’ superhero episode.  I even let him hold the iPad in the car and watch it on the way to work. (Do not judge me until you get up at 4:30 three days in a row with a puppy and a whining toddler.) When we got to day care, J was a little hesitant.  He was tired and he didn’t particularly want me to leave him there and go off to work.  I knelt down to give him a hug and explained to him what I was going to do today.

“Mommy has to go to work and help people.  I have to write a brief that will help a very hurt man, okay?”

J looked up at me with starstruck eyes and grinned.

“Like a superhero?”

And suddenly my cape started to flutter in the wind behind me, my mask glittered in the sun and I tossed my hair back in my mind.  I may not have super powers, or a cool super suit, or nifty Batman gadgets, but I work to help people every day. I get up at 4:30, feed and clothe a toddler, feed and walk two dogs and run a load of laundry.  I drop my son off at daycare and am at work by 8 every morning.  I spend my day answering questions and working diligently to help people who, for the most part, really need saving… from something.  Then I leave work, pick up my child, make dinner, feed and walk two dogs, and clean my house.

So when he looked up at me with those bright blue eyes, I simply nodded, tightening my cape around my shoulders and standing tall.

Yes, my dear son, just like a superhero.

Comments

9 Responses to “Super Me”

1. Caitlin MidAtlantic
    April 5th, 2012 @ 8:34 am

You are so definitely a superhero! I think any mom is, in her own right. But after everything you have done and achieved this year? Yup. Very definitely a Super Mom!

2. Jana A (@jana0926)
    April 5th, 2012 @ 8:37 am

This is perfect. And you ARE a superhero. I want to get you a cape so you really know it, too. 🙂

3. Meredith
    April 5th, 2012 @ 10:34 am

I love this post, you are totally a super hero 🙂

4. Debbie
    April 5th, 2012 @ 10:40 am

Love ALL of your SUPER-posts!! You are definitely a superhero. Don’t forget to pamper yourself every now and then too … and some days, take the cape off completely. Superheroes need to re-charge xoxo

5. Lawgalheel
    April 5th, 2012 @ 10:41 am

I’m a long-time reader, but I don’t think I’ve ever commented before (though you surely have written enough compelling posts to warrant a comment before now!). I agree with your son. You most certainly are a super hero! Good work, Law Momma.

6. Helen Auch
    April 5th, 2012 @ 11:54 am

I believe every single parent is a super hero. I have a hard enough time attempting to do half the things on my to-do list, and I’m not single!

7. TheNextMartha
    April 5th, 2012 @ 12:04 pm

Yes. Fantastic.

8. Lynne DeVenny
    April 5th, 2012 @ 12:26 pm

Law Momma, I know I don’t comment much, but I read your terrific posts every day, and completely empathize, having experienced divorce, single motherhood, financial stressors, horrid ex exchanges, and the loss of people I love.

But as a fellow legal professional doing work very similar to yours (workers’ comp, immigration, criminal), I just wanted to tell you that you are a super hero, and it means so much to be able to get up every day and help other people. There’s much worse ways to earn a living.

9. Jackie Henson
    April 5th, 2012 @ 2:58 pm

I as well do not comment as much, I am silent observer but I read every post you write, they make me think in different ways that sometimes I never thought of. I as well have a few of my own things, work, separation, impending divorce, other things that i wont mention but make it hard, some days my anxiety sky rockets that i cant sleep much, the guilt of leaving my kiddo to go to work while she goes to daycare/preschool even though she loves it weighs on me, financial stuff too, i feel its never good enough, i am wanting to do more with my life but am afraid of it at the same time, my mind gets the better of my with how will i work & go to school in the future when i can barely work around not feeling guilty just working the 30-35 hours i do work. I look to you for inspiration to know it is manageable even if it is scary or feels impossible.