Radio Silence

Posted on | April 19, 2012 | 11 Comments

Nothing’s ever easy, is it?

After my rousingly upbeat post of Tuesday where I metaphorically sounded my barbaric yawp, I went on with my day.  I went home for lunch and when I came back, I was feeling a bit… woosy.  I stopped in the breakroom and talked to one of our paralegals about what was going on and she very calmly stood, collected her car keys, and escorted me to the nearest emergency room.

Once I was hooked up to the monitors, it appeared that my heart was trying to beat its way out of my chest.  My resting heart rate never went below 90 and kept spiking up to 131 at random intervals.  Eventually, the doctor came in and told me they’d like to admit me for observation.

I *might* have had a bit of a breakdown at that point.

Long story short, I signed myself out of the hospital against medical advice and took my happy ass to a cardiologist yesterday who has outfitted me with a lovely eCardio monitor to measure my heartrate.

Can we all just agree that I have too much stress in my life and not enough ways to handle it? Because I’m 99% sure that’s all this is.  Still… having a heart monitor is nothing to sneeze at, and I’m trying to take it easy over the next few days.

Last night, the damn thing got its memory in a wad and started beeping at me like the second coming of dial up internet.  I pulled myself out of bed and into the living room where the lights informed me that I needed to call in to the manufacturer and “transmit my data.”

What no one told me was that transmitting data sounds like having your own personal ambulance inside the living room.  It was LOUD.  And high pitched.  And it went on for eight minutes.

Have I mentioned I have two dogs?

Because yeah… they totally loved that high pitch wailing and joined in with what can only be described as their own rendition of the Pound song from Lady and the Tramp.

And also all of this was at quarter of 11 last night.

So needless to say, I’m a little sluggish this morning, wading through my day with less caffeine and less awareness of the world around me.  Plus my nifty little accessory sort of looks like I’m carrying around a Zach Morris phone only with wires connected to my boobs.  The point of all of this is just to say… I don’t know… Hi?  And I’m still here, but I’m busy being monitored.  So please forgive the radio silence.

Comments

11 Responses to “Radio Silence”

1. JennB
    April 19th, 2012 @ 9:14 am

So even when you’re “down” you’re funny as hell!

Any loud noise that happens in my house after 9pm drives me through the roof. I have 2 dogs as well…

I’m still fuming about the loud sounds that come from the ice/water dispenser on the fridge, clearly, the genius behind that appliance did NOT have babies.

I hope your monitoring goes well, and the results are nothing serious.

2. R's Mom
    April 19th, 2012 @ 9:46 am

Ugh. If it’s not one thing it’s another! So sorry you had this scary episode…hopefully you are right that it’s all just stress related.

3. Crystina
    April 19th, 2012 @ 9:49 am

Wow, sounds like you had quite a night!

Fingers crossed for you that everything checks out and you can lose the minor. And that your dogs stay calm if you have to transmit at night!

Great big virtual hugs coming your way!

4. molly
    April 19th, 2012 @ 10:02 am

Oh my word. I hope it’s just stress and nothing more!

p.s. I read your entire Brutal Truth story. I wasn’t able to comment because for days the comment box wouldn’t show up (grrrr) but I just wanted to tell you that you are so brave for sharing the story. I hope it was cathartic and healing for you.

5. facie
    April 19th, 2012 @ 11:18 am

Things can only go up from here, right?! I feel for you. Please take it easy.

But, shoot, you did make me laugh out loud. 🙂

6. Maija @ Maija's Mommy Moments
    April 19th, 2012 @ 11:53 am

I’ve worn a heart monitor twice – not fun. Some of those probe things left burns as well. I definitely don’t envy you. What I did learn the second time around is not to fuss with my hair (since I couldn’t shower or lift my hands above my head comfortably to throw it into a ponytail) and just head over to the salon so they can wash and dry it.

Good luck and please take care of yourself (I know it’s hard).

7. Lola M.
    April 19th, 2012 @ 1:40 pm

We have a saying around here for legal staff: “My cheese is sliding off the cracker..” I think you’re there. Hugs!

8. Cayley
    April 19th, 2012 @ 2:18 pm

I literally just read an article reminding us all that getting to a Dr. ASAP is the best way to treat a heart attack, and that women in particular don’t usually recognize the symptoms b/c they don’t have the chest pain men do. And, that they get turned away by Dr.s who often don’t recognize the symptoms either. So good for you (and your smart co-worker) for getting treatment, even though ‘woosy’ doesn’t seem like such a big deal, and you certainly have better things to do than sit around in an ER. I hope it’s nothing serious, I know from reading this blog how little you need more urgent drama.

9. Mary
    April 19th, 2012 @ 2:28 pm

slow down and take care of yourself! More women than men die of heart attacks. Mary in NY

10. Bjhamill
    April 19th, 2012 @ 2:53 pm

Ugh, that happened to me 10 years ago in grad school. Had palpitations, my heart felt like it was beating out of my chest, i was sweating, it was crazy! One of the masters students said I looked bad and called some folks, who called 911, what a way to get out of lab work! Anyway, in the end they never found anything, after 3 weeks on the monitor. Said it was prob stress. What a non-diagnosis….
    Good luck to you! I’m sure it will be fine, just annoying. And stressful! Of course, more stress! B/c that will make it all better 🙂

11. Jackie Henson
    April 19th, 2012 @ 5:30 pm

I have had those when I have anxiety attacks, they are no fun but mine are never that extreme. rest & take it easy & hope your back to 100% in no time 🙂 my doggies would have been flipping out too, which then gets the birdies started lol its definitely funny times in our house.