Weekend Recap

Posted on | June 11, 2012 | 14 Comments

I left work and went home on Friday, nervous and anxious for my date.  The babysitter arrived and I slipped away, driving the short distance to the restaurant where we were meeting.  I got there a few minutes before him and was nervous that I wouldn’t know him when he came in.  It was a silly worry… I recognized him immediately.

He was exactly like my brother.

Y’all, I’m not even exaggerating. He looked like my brother.  He talked like my brother.  He acted like my brother.  And although he was handsome and charming and witty, all I could think about was that he was… EXACTLY LIKE MY BROTHER.  I love my brother and all, but I don’t want to date him.

So all my nerves and jitters were for nothing.  We had a nice dinner and drinks and parted ways with a hug and an understanding that there would not be a second date.  I went home a little disappointed because I’d had such high hopes, but ultimately it wasn’t a complete loss… I went out and had fun with a guy.  And that’s something I haven’t done in a while.

Saturday came and with it another first date.  This one I wasn’t excited about.  This one I’d tried to cancel a few times because I had a sneaking suspicion that he was a barely disguised asshole, but he assured me he was not and so I gave him the benefit of the doubt and went out to meet him anyway.

I don’t know if it was my low expectations or what, but I can’t even type about him without getting a little giddy and light headed.  He is not the best looking guy in the room but when he slid out of his car and walked towards me, he oozed the kind of self confidence that you only get by being, well, a badass.  He’s tall and trim, spending several hours a week engaged in mixed martial arts.  He’s a health food nut which is totally against my belief that pizza goes with everything.  He’s absolutely nothing I was looking for in a guy.

But we spent about two hours completely and totally engrossed in conversation. There were no awkward silences.  There was no need to check my phone for the time or for text messages.  There was no need to do anything but laugh, happy and at ease in his company. Despite the borderline inappropriateness of his sense of humor, we parted ways with a tight hug and the barest brush of his lips on mine.  And then he was gone and I sighed with a mix of disappointment, contentment and a sense of wonder that I’d just had a successful date that may or may not result in a second date.

Only it will.

Because we’re meeting up again tonight.

Hold on to your hats, voyeurs, I’m actually, actually, ACTUALLY dating.

Comments

14 Responses to “Weekend Recap”

1. Auntiem4cabs
    June 11th, 2012 @ 8:04 am

JUST BE CAREFUL. I met my ex on line. Read this first… http://www.lovefraud.com seriously.

2. lawmomma
    June 11th, 2012 @ 9:15 am

Oh I am VERY careful. I get birthdate, full name, and permission to run a background check. If that doesn’t scare them off… 😉

3. Patsyb216
    June 11th, 2012 @ 8:19 am

Dating is fun! And while you may or may not meet your soulmate on line ( I did). You will meet some weird guys, and some the chemistry isn’t right on but you can also make some friends that will enrich your life, I have met some guys that are still my friends and I’ve cheered them on as they went on to other successful relationships! Don’t rush into anything.

4. lawmomma
    June 11th, 2012 @ 9:15 am

No rushing here, just having fun. 🙂

5. Melanie
    June 11th, 2012 @ 8:33 am

You go girl! So happy for you 🙂 Can I ask how J is dealing with Mommy going out more often? Or is he pretty much already in bed, so not really noticing / affected by it? Just curious…

6. lawmomma
    June 11th, 2012 @ 9:16 am

He’s been fine with it. He’s such an easy going kid, and knowing that I always come back to get him at daycare reinforces his understanding that I will always come back to get him at home, too.

7. Andrea Sharp
    June 11th, 2012 @ 8:37 am

Congrats!! Its always fun when you brush off the dust and start dating again after a failed marriage. You get a renewed sense of hope and new take on life. You know so much more about yourself when you step back in the dating arena and through experience have learned what your not willing to deal with.

8. lawmomma
    June 11th, 2012 @ 9:17 am

So very true. I’m much more honest about what I’m looking for and a lot less interested in playing games.

9. Sunshinefromcate
    June 11th, 2012 @ 8:39 am

Congrats to you! I met my (second) Husband of 6 years online, he is truly the best guy I have ever know and the love of my life! Yes there were some BAD dates along the way, but even those are still great stories that get some of my best laughs at parties! Hang in there, and have fun…hey a free dinner is a free dinner!

10. lawmomma
    June 11th, 2012 @ 9:17 am

Oh I’m sure there will be MANY bad dates, but good dates are also there to look forward to. 🙂

11. ally
    June 11th, 2012 @ 1:38 pm

love to hear it. you always get sucked in by the person you least expect. when i first met my husband, i was so not sure of him, thought he was cute but not my type and thought he wouldn’t like me at all. well, we have been together for 10 years and married for almost 8. he is the best time of my life and am so glad that we found each other!

12. Jackie Henson
    June 11th, 2012 @ 4:34 pm

I always like to think it happens when you least expect it 🙂 have fun tonight!

13. Jana A (@jana0926)
    June 11th, 2012 @ 4:52 pm

Yay! You know I’m SO excited!

14. Rachel
    June 11th, 2012 @ 7:48 pm

Awesome!!! Hope the second date is even better than the first!! 🙂 Congrats!