Where I Admit to Drinking the Kool-Aid

Posted on | August 9, 2012 | 13 Comments

I was never one to get too bogged down in office politics or high school politics or sorority, well, politics.  It’s not that I “go my own way” or anything, I just always assumed I wasn’t exactly the type to get picked first or last so I was content to reside in mediocrity when it came to social stature.  Sure, I held a couple of offices in high school, college, and law school, but mostly I ran unopposed for all of those.

I guess what I’m saying is… I don’t really fight for position.

But I have to be honest about something… apparently I really DO care about “winning.” Even when it’s not so much “winning” as being handed additional work.

Yesterday when I picked J up from daycare, his teacher discreetly came over to me and motioned me to the corner.  She leaned in and spoke in a soft whisper.

“We’ve been talking,” she gestured to the other teacher who waved a little at me without noticeably moving her arm. “And we’d like to ask you something.”

I leaned in, trying to figure out what this was all about.  She glanced around furtively and spoke again.

“We’d like you to be room mom if you’re okay with that?”

I immediately said yes and smiled and J and I went on our way.  No big deal.  Nothing to worry about.

Only if that’s the case, why did I hear the Rocky theme song in my head and see me saying “SUCK IT” to all the other hard working moms in the class?  I felt like I’d won a prize, like I’d been picked the most popular mom, the most capable juggler of work and home life.  I felt like a damn rock star.

Isn’t that ridiculous?  Don’t you just feel embarrassed on my behalf?

But there I was, a spring in my otherwise lagging step, shoulders thrust back with pride I was sort of embarrassed to even feel.  After all, it was really just more work.  It was really just asking me to coordinate a room full of otherwise engaged parents, busy with their own careers and their own lives.  It was really just one more job.  It is really just one more plate to juggle.

But none the less, I put my invisible “Queen of the Working Moms” cape around my shoulders and flipped my greasy, worn out hairdo with authority.   Am I embarrassed about how much glee came with being asked to take on that job? You bet.  Am I mortified that I care at all about who becomes freaking “room mom?” Absolutely.  Do I suddenly wish I’d never written this because oh hell, other moms in J’s school read this blog? Yup.

But you know what? Rockstar moments are too few and far between when you’re a hard working mom, so I’m just gonna roll with this embarrassment.  I’m going to be proud of the fact that someone thinks I can handle this on top of everything else.    I’m  gonna take J to daycare and walk in and out with my head held high.

Because dammit, I own that bitch now.

(or something…)

Comments

13 Responses to “Where I Admit to Drinking the Kool-Aid”

1. Jaclyn O'Hara
    August 9th, 2012 @ 9:53 am

LOL, that’s awesome! It’s okay, I’ve chosen one of my biggest achievements as a teacher to be the fact that I got voted “favorite teacher” and I could have cared less if the kids liked me. There’s a reason why Koolaid is so popular 🙂

2. Law Momma
    August 9th, 2012 @ 9:56 am

Ha! Truth. It’s so stupid… but I really was all puffed up about it for like a good ten minutes.

3. Kitty B
    August 9th, 2012 @ 9:55 am

This made me laugh so hard I cried. Ok, am crying. You are hilarious! You know what, though? You’re right. You earned it…flaunt it! I taught my daughter to say “you’re the most awesome mom EVER” when she was 2. And I felt like I had won something every time I heard her say it. Room mom? AWESOME!!! You should seriously get a trophy for that!

4. Law Momma
    August 9th, 2012 @ 9:57 am

I may make my own. Out of tinfoil and old peanut butter jars.

5. Mae (Life's Candy)
    August 9th, 2012 @ 9:57 am

There’s something very validating about other people choosing to rely on us for something, especially when there are other good options open to them. “They had a choice and they picked me! Instead of someone else! I AM AMAZING!”

The fact that they’re not intimate friends or family almost makes it sweeter. It suggests that to the untrained eye, you know what you’re doing and you’re doing it well, even when you feel like all you do is fail. And that’s so encouraging! Truly!

But yeah. That doesn’t mean it’s an actual good DEAL for you. So bask in it for now, for sure. And if it gets to be too much, maybe you can pass the baton to another mom who looks like she’s got her act together too. Let the spinning plate spin onto someone else’s table for a while. She’ll probably flip her hair too 🙂

6. Law Momma
    August 9th, 2012 @ 9:59 am

HAHA! Yeah… it’s borderline psychotic to feel so validated by this, but meh. Whatever. I’ll take my validation where it comes. 😉

7. Samantha
    August 9th, 2012 @ 1:04 pm

I always love the feeling of being “chosen” for something…even if it means more work and little appreciation. I’m working very hard to learn how to say no.

Congrats on being chosen for room mom!!

8. Law Momma
    August 9th, 2012 @ 4:16 pm

I know… realistically, I should have said a polite “no, thank you” and passed the torch… because this is a whole freaking YEAR of responsibility. That’s crazy talk. But my inner “VOTE FOR ELLE” really did a dance with her helium hand in the air, and here we are.

9. Heather Griffitts Clark
    August 9th, 2012 @ 1:52 pm

I no longer feel guilty for literally doing a dance in my office 10 minutes ago because I figured out an excel formula for some analysis the BIG boss needs and it’s now my job to provide that to him weekly. And I danced because I felt like I owned that bitch too 😉

10. Law Momma
    August 9th, 2012 @ 4:17 pm

Um… that is WAY cooler than being asked to be room mom. I mean, who knows how many moms said “no” before they got to me!

11. Heather Griffitts Clark
    August 9th, 2012 @ 4:55 pm

See, I disagree. I work in an office of nerds that love statistics and numbers. I’m just keeping up here. But to ask to be room mom…well shoot – that means you have to be organized and committed and love children and creative and likable and, and, and…. The list goes on. You were already a rockstar – now you’re like a Super Nova Rockstar. Not to mention, kids LOVE it when they’re parents are super involved. You win. 😀

12. Delia
    August 9th, 2012 @ 4:20 pm

Good for you! I’ll admit that I find myself wishing C’s school had room moms because I would rock it! & I don’t even know what a room mom does! Congrats – and don’t be ashamed.

13. Carrie
    August 10th, 2012 @ 1:34 pm

Love it! I say, just roll with it and enjoy it. It’s good to be enthusiastic about such roles and I know you’ll be damn good at it! We all need a little boost like that from time to time and I would feel the same way if my daughter’s daycare asked me. 🙂