Stream of Conciousness Sunday

Posted on | September 16, 2012 | 9 Comments

Today’s prompt over at Jana’s Thinking Place is to spend five minutes writing about someone who has been dropped into your life for a reason.  And though I don’t normally write on Sundays, I had to respond to this call because it just hits home after the week I’ve had. (also I didn’t follow the rules because I have a toddler and got interrupted seventy billion times… so this took more like five gazillion minutes).

See, I’m a perfectionist.  I’m a “what do people think,” “how do I look today,” “is everything in perfect, pristine, sorority girl order” kind of woman.  I’ve always been too concerned about what people might or might not think or say or mull over in my absence.  And that concern has kept me from doing a lot of things that I otherwise would have done.  Then about a year ago, a friend introduced my blog to a friend of hers. The friend of hers was local and she posted several times in the comments that we should get our kids together.  And then she commented about her son starting a new daycare on the same day that a new boy started in J’s class… and a friendship was born.  Our boys became friends.  We became friends.

And she is everything I’m not.

And I love her for it.

Where I’m all heels and fancy tops, she’s all “Dude, put on a t-shirt and shorts and let’s go.”

Where I’m all “what will people think” she’s all “Who the eff cares.”

She’s the mom who isn’t afraid to tell someone else’s kid to quit being a bully.  She’s the mom who says “WHOA! That’s not okay” to anyone who is acting out of turn, hurting someone else, or in general being an ass.  And over the past year, she has become one of the best friends I’ve ever had in my life.  She reminds me to relax, to breathe, and to get down and dirty with my toddler.  She reminds me that it’s okay to just be me… that it’s okay to not put on airs or try to be something I’m not.  She encourages me to put myself out there in the dating world and reminds me she has my back if things go  wrong.  She’s the kind of friend who takes a half day off of work just to be there for me when my son has minor surgery; the kind of friend who brings her son over to play and stays for dinner because… family, obviously.

I couldn’t be more blessed to have her in my life, couldn’t be more happy over the circumstances that brought her unique blend of humor and honesty into my world.  So thank you to Jana for sending her my blog, and thank you to Sandy for being such a special part of my life… I’m so lucky to be able to call you “friend.”

Comments

9 Responses to “Stream of Conciousness Sunday”

1. Jana Anthoine
    September 16th, 2012 @ 10:39 am

Oh, I think I’m going to cry! Sandy is amazing in all those ways. I’m so very glad y’all are friends (and that I am blessed to know both of you). xoxo

2. ash @ paperheart12
    September 16th, 2012 @ 11:13 am

oh this is so sweet! it seems like women have a hard time letting down our guards and letting each other in. im so glad you took a chance and were rewarded, 10 fold, it seems!

3. Kenya G. Johnson
    September 16th, 2012 @ 12:10 pm

Here I go again…”Awww how sweet!” I want a circumstance to fall in MY lap. That’s so wonderful. It’s harding making new friends when you are a grownup.

4. Anna Hettick
    September 16th, 2012 @ 1:51 pm

I too am a people pleaser. I care way too much what they think or say when I am away from them. I need a friend whose the opposite! =) Stopping by from Jana’s. =)

5. Rachee
    September 16th, 2012 @ 2:25 pm

I could have written this post!
    It is so wonderful to have a friend that thrusts you out of the norm. I am going to stop worrying and start saying yes and enjoying things.
    Thanks!
    -r

6. jamie@southmainmuse
    September 16th, 2012 @ 5:39 pm

She does sound like she is a friend of gold. Those are truly treasures.

7. Robbie K
    September 16th, 2012 @ 7:06 pm

Sounds like ya’ll are the picture of opposites attract in friendships. It’s a blessing to have people like her in your life.

8. MaconMom
    September 17th, 2012 @ 8:44 am

Well, aren’t I thankful I’m not pmsing! 🙂 You must be sleep deprived … hehe
    And, where would I be if we hadn’t met? CRAZY, absolutely stir crazy. You keep me sane, grounded, and have no idea. You give me a “normal” check, especially with the Monkey.
    Thank you for being my friend! It is so hard to find good village people these days. 😉
    p.s. you are pretty great and don’t need to “dress anything up”

9. Law Momma