Running Thirteen

Posted on | February 20, 2013 | 16 Comments

Have I mentioned that I’m running a half marathon? Only a billion times? Because guess what… I’m running a half marathon on Sunday morning with a start time of 6:03 am.

A half marathon.  Thirteen (point one) miles.

Guys, if you’d told me six months ago that I’d be preparing to drive six hours south to run 13.1 miles in 65+ degree weather, I would have laughed at you a little, then a lot, then probably poured another glass of wine and done a little rendition of me trying to run, complete with gasping for air, clutching my chest, and rolling around in agony.  In fact, I was in such bad shape last July that when I went to run with my sister at the beach, I had to stop after less than a mile and take a pill for my heart.

A pill.

For my heart.

At thirty-four years old.

That’s some seriously shoddy shape right there.

And yet, last night, I began laying out the clothes and items I would pack to carry with me on the final leg of the journey I started back in October when Jana called and said “Hey, wanna run a half marathon with me to raise money for Ronald McDonald House?”

I tallied up the miles I’ve run since that day (217.2) and the number of times I’ve gotten up out of my chair or up off the sofa and laced up my shoes (57).  I have lost exactly no pounds.  I have lost exactly 1 inch.  But you know what? I can run a 5k without stopping to walk.  I finished a 15k with some nasty hills.  I ran a 12k with a bad hamstring.

On Sunday morning, I will gather with a zillion other people in the parking lot of Epcot with my tennis shoes laced, my fuel belt velcroed, and my smile only slightly wavering and when those fireworks explode into the sky I will run 13.1 miles with a bounce in my step that I didn’t have this time last year.

In the past five months, I have become more confident… my back a little straighter, my head held higher.  I have become more and more proud of my body and it’s ability to do things, to run miles, I never thought I could do.  I have realized that I am as strong as I never thought I was… I am a superhero… a single mom, an attorney, and a runner.  I’m getting it done, one day at a time, one mile at a time… one smile after another.  This running, this new ability I have found within myself, is 100% mine.  I’m not the fastest.  I don’t run with the greatest form.  But I’m logging those miles all by myself.

So when my feet cross that finish line at Epcot, they’re not doing it for or because of my ex, for or because of my son, or for or because of anyone else in the whole wide world other than me.  They’re doing it for me.  Just for me.

And honestly?

I couldn’t be more proud of myself.

Comments

16 Responses to “Running Thirteen”

1. Regan Reynolds
    February 20th, 2013 @ 8:46 am

It’s a great feeling to run a half! You are gonna do great. A couple tips:

-Don’t worry with the porta potties. There are bathrooms open in the MK (can figure out where if you want to know)

-Stop for pictures! I have one I love of me in front of the castle
    -LOVE every moment!

2. Law Momma
    February 20th, 2013 @ 8:50 am

Love this advice!!! I’M SO EXCITED!

3. Caitlin MidAtlantic
    February 20th, 2013 @ 9:43 am

Fantastic! Have a great run! And maybe enjoy Epcot a little while you’re there 🙂

4. Law Momma
    February 20th, 2013 @ 11:05 am

Oh there will be margaritas at Epcot for sure!!!

5. Elizabeth Benducci
    February 20th, 2013 @ 10:48 am

You are running the Princess Half?? I did it two years ago and have some friends doing it again this year – it is wonderful! You will enjoy it! Just stay ahead of the balloon ladies- take a few pictures here and there and enjoy the firemen of McCreedy Fire Station at, I think it it, mile 9!! You can do it!!

6. Law Momma
    February 20th, 2013 @ 11:05 am

FIREMEN!?!?! YESSSSSSSS PLEASE. 🙂

7. Jen
    February 20th, 2013 @ 12:15 pm

You will do great! I remember running my first half and just felt so great afterwards. A huge accomplishment. Just try to enjoy it!

8. Law Momma
    February 20th, 2013 @ 12:35 pm

Going to try to enjoy every minute… even the rough ones.

9. Barbara Hamill
    February 20th, 2013 @ 12:17 pm

and the best part??? Orlando is FLAT FLAT FLAT as a pancake! The only hills are highway on-ramps:) If you can run in Atlanta, you can run in central Florida ALL. DAY. LONG. Have a blast!!!

10. Law Momma
    February 20th, 2013 @ 12:35 pm

I KNOW!!! Why do you think my first will be Disney? 🙂 🙂 🙂

11. Barbara Hamill
    February 20th, 2013 @ 4:24 pm

When we lived in Tampa, there was a neighborhood that held a marathon. It was just loops up and around their 3/4 mile cul-de-sac street with a green space at the end. It was on the honor system, you had to count your own loops, or get someone to count for you. Neighbors brought out snacks for the runners and grilled hot dogs and burgers for after the race, it was hilarious. Also, very flat. Runners can be…. odd? But festive 🙂

12. TypeAnightmare
    February 20th, 2013 @ 2:35 pm

This is EXACTLY how I feel about running. I just started back a month ago and feel so much better about myself… about life… and it’s all about me when my feet are pounding the pavement (even if I’m not so pretty while doing it… or particularly after, for that matter). I’m so proud of you. Maybe one day I’ll squeeze out a half or a full… I’m inspired!

13. Law Momma
    February 20th, 2013 @ 2:47 pm

Good for you!!! It’s such a great feeling, isn’t it!?

14. Lola M.
    February 20th, 2013 @ 2:56 pm

Woo hoo! Can’t wait to hear you’ve done the happy dance when you’ve finished!

15. Allison Hydzik
    February 20th, 2013 @ 9:43 pm

You are going to do great, I admire you so much! Go, go, go! Run, run, run!

16. KeAnne
    February 22nd, 2013 @ 12:44 pm

That is awesome! Good for you!