Trust me… THIS is not a break.

Posted on | January 3, 2014 | 22 Comments

When I was a kid, I took things like summer vacation, Spring break, Fall break, and Christmas break as a God send. My mom worked as a stay at home mom so when school was out, we were home and it was amazing: sleeping in, staying in pjs all day, watching cartoons, going to the park… all the things you just really want to do year round. I looked forward to every single break. Every single one.

Let’s just fast forward to now, shall we?

And y’all? School breaks are the DEVIL.

See, I’m a single mom who works outside the home. I pay an arm and a leg for J’s “school” and when it’s closed, I have to either find the money to pay someone else to keep him or take him to work with me. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT IT’S LIKE TO TAKE YOUR CHILD TO WORK WITH YOU?

Oh please, let me enlighten you.

We get here at 8. By 8:05 he’s asking if it’s time to go home. He will then continue to ask that every fifteen minutes until it actually is time to go home… or until my head explodes. If I get on the telephone with a client or an adjuster or an opposing counsel, he immediately “needs” me to come see a video or hear a joke and he will say “MOM” at the top of his lungs until I acknowledge him. Santa brought him headphones so I wouldn’t have to listen to the movies or tv shows he watches at work or in the car only Santa didn’t realize that the natural effect of this would be that he would leave the headphones plugged in and scream “MOM YOU HAVE GOT TO SEE THIS FUNNY VIDEO” right when I’m in the middle of being all bad ass attorney on the phone.

It’s hard to be a bad ass attorney when someone is simultaneously calling you mom. Trust me.

All of this to say, that there has to be a better option than this. It’s not fair to me or to J to drag him into the office and if it weren’t for my ex in-laws, then I would have had to do this for a week and a half over Christmas. What do other working parents do during these breaks? WHAT DO YOU DO? Because I’m at my wits end and there are so many “breaks” ahead that I’m already developing an eye twitch. Do I have to find alternative child care? Do I have to hire a nanny?

Seriously… what do you do?

Comments

22 Responses to “Trust me… THIS is not a break.”

1. Harmskills
    January 3rd, 2014 @ 9:21 am

My kids go to a preschool w extended hours- they take all the school breaks which is ok cause I’m a teacher, but my bro who gets like 10 days of vacation so his son goes to a day care center that is only closed on like Xmas and thanksgiving maybe that is what you need

2. Law Momma
    January 3rd, 2014 @ 9:22 am

Yeah, that’s how my old daycare was, but he’s aged out of daycare at this point and is into more of a pre-k. I miss daycare.

3. Kelly Mangan
    January 3rd, 2014 @ 10:20 am

Will your old daycare take him day to day. My school aged child joins my 2 year old at daycare over break. He’s in the “big kid” room, full of lots of his old friends who are also on break.

4. Law Momma
    January 3rd, 2014 @ 10:36 am

Sadly they’re all full. 🙁

5. Kelly Mangan
    January 3rd, 2014 @ 10:45 am

🙁

6. Joanna Loops
    January 3rd, 2014 @ 10:31 am

I work from home attached to a headset with my clients and one, and ONLY one day, I thought I’d test it and see if I could combine work and the 4yr old. He learned the “mom you HAVE to see this” sentence that day. Fun times.

I had to find a home-care situation for the two weeks of Xmas (and full week of Thanksgiving and full week of Spring break). It’s expensive to pay for home-care On Top of paying for *school that they’re on vacation from… but I needed it.

7. Law Momma
    January 3rd, 2014 @ 10:36 am

yeah… I will have to do that this summer.

8. Courtney
    January 3rd, 2014 @ 10:49 am

See if any of the area Little Gyms or arena soccer places have any school break day camps. It’s something else to pay for, but at least you can work. (I’m in the same boat, and it’s been a rough 2 weeks!)

9. Law Momma
    January 3rd, 2014 @ 10:59 am

That’s a good idea… I just get so antsy about people I don’t know!! (Helicopter mom alert)

10. TarynB
    January 3rd, 2014 @ 10:50 am

I thank my lucky stars that the daycare my biggest used to go to (and the one my littlest still goes to) has a “camp” for the big kids. They do the normal infant – VPK-4 program and they do day-to-day drop off for any kids Kindergarden-5th grade. They take them on field trips to Chuck-E-Cheese, to the movies, to the local dance and karate gyms…. it’s so nice.

11. Law Momma
    January 3rd, 2014 @ 10:59 am

Oh man. I wish my old daycare would do that! That would be epic.

12. Catherine
    January 3rd, 2014 @ 10:57 am

I know the feeling. It’s rough when my kids’ school is closed and I have two little ones (who are lovely but who do not allow me to work when they are with me!). You might want to look at care.com. You can advertise for someone for specific times (planning ahead for those other breaks)and I have usually had luck finding someone good. It’s time and effort to interview, but once you have a couple of go-to folks , the breaks are much easier. If you’re thinking about camp for the summer, sign up earlier rather than later. Spots fill quickly. Around here (PA), spots open around the end of January. Good Luck!

13. Law Momma
    January 3rd, 2014 @ 10:59 am

Good call. I’ll check into summer stuff now. 🙂

14. Noelle in LA
    January 3rd, 2014 @ 11:05 am

I’ve had my son go back to his old daycare where they can take him every so often- he’s the big kid but if I need coverage and they have room, that will work. Also, during the breaks I look for any camp I can find and just have to pay for that on top of the amount for school. Most of the camps aren’t full day so I work from home for the rest of the day. Look for any kids facility anywhere (place for gymnastics lessons, My Gym type of places, maybe there’s a daily drop off daycare place around you) and you can piece together camps. You could have a sitter pick him up from the camps if they’re a half day and be with him for the rest of the day. School breaks are expensive for working parents- no way to get around it unfortunately!

15. Law Momma
    January 3rd, 2014 @ 1:57 pm

I just pulled up my kid’s calendar and got super excited. It appears that these two weeks around Christmas are the ONLY weeks that school or camp isn’t provided by his current school. ::phew::

16. lcarswell
    January 3rd, 2014 @ 11:06 am

When I meet other parent’s at my son’s “school” my first question is what’s your name. My second question: “What do you do over school breaks???”

17. Law Momma
    January 3rd, 2014 @ 1:56 pm

hahahaha smart!!!

18. S
    January 3rd, 2014 @ 11:09 am

This post makes me so thankful for our nanny.

19. Law Momma
    January 3rd, 2014 @ 1:56 pm

As well you should be! 🙂

20. Guest
    January 3rd, 2014 @ 3:20 pm

We have a nanny for our youngest so our oldest joins in when school is out but our friends who do not have nannies (or all kids are school age) often hire local college students during breaks.

One friend does this every summer and it has worked well for them. Other friends use local day cares that have “camps” for older kids.

It’s hard but be encouraged that you’re not alone and you’ll absolutely figure this out!

21. Robbie K
    January 29th, 2014 @ 11:27 am

I make friends with other parents who are willing to take my kids when school is out. This means I’m repaying the favor on evenings or weekends since I work during the day but it is worth it. When I lived closer to family they would take my kids for a day or two..so I would patch something together. I would strongly suggest finding a local teenager to babysit..cheaper than daycare and he/she would also be out of school on breaks.

22. thisgirltv
    April 15th, 2014 @ 8:53 am

Talk to Ellen Banas about summer camp at the Rec Centers and ask which ones, if any, she thinks he could go to. You can trust her to suggest a good one if he’s old enough. And the cost would be minimal.