The Banks Addendum

Posted on | October 27, 2014 | 7 Comments

This past weekend, Banks and I went to Athens, Georgia, for an anniversary party. I’d never been to Athens, but I’d heard it was a lot like Chapel Hill (my alma mater), so I felt pretty sure I’d like it just fine.

We stopped for pictures at Sanford Stadium. We drove miles in circles looking for parking. We smelled the distinct smell of bleach covered vomit.

Yes… this was almost exactly like Chapel Hill. Except, you know, bigger. A lot bigger.

And the town was fun; a lot of fun. But I’m not here to write a travel review. I’m here because we stayed up until 3am on Saturday night and then had an early lunch at a taco restaurant, all cozied up under a big screen tv watching the Falcons epic loss without sound. I’m here because we drank way too much beer and had a “few” shots, and danced like we were still in college. I’m here because I almost lost my voice just from shouting over loud music, and my legs and back ache from wandering the streets in high-ish heeled boots.

I’m here writing because it hit me this weekend like a ton of bricks… or maybe a ton of fairy dust or rose petals or whatever love smacks you in the face with when it shows you just how much you adore the person you’re semi-tied to. Suddenly, reliving my college days with Banks made me desperately want to rewind time, to intertwine fingers with him on a walk down Franklin Street at 2 in the morning when we’re both still wrinkle free in the pristine bodies of our younger selves. I wanted to race sleds down the hill with him at age eight, wanted to have him beside me at the Beach Club in Orlando, wanted every single memory of my whole life thus far to have an addendum… a careted insert of Banks on the sidelines. I wanted him seated by me in Mrs. Trail’s creative writing class in high school, wanted him to be the one sliding a corsage on my wrist at semi-formal dances, wanted well… him. More of him. More time to share with this incredible person who just somehow gets me in a way I don’t think I’ve ever been gotten in the past.

Yes, I realize this is an epic love post to trump all love posts, but honestly … I don’t know how else to say it. This weekend it suddenly occurred to me that I haven’t had enough time with this man… that I don’t think I’ll ever have enough time with him.

And when you’re me and you feel that way about someone else?

That’s a pretty poetic thing.

happiest

Comments

7 Responses to “The Banks Addendum”

1. Joanna
    October 27th, 2014 @ 9:19 am

2. cindyw
    October 27th, 2014 @ 9:55 am

While I think the sentiment of wanting more time is lovely, I see this totally differently. My dad once made a comment about my boyfriend, to the effect of “it’s too bad you didn’t meet him first.” And I realized that I’m actually REALLY glad I didn’t meet him first. For one thing, I wouldn’t have the 2 amazing little girls that I have. For another, I don’t think that he and I would have worked if we’d met each other in our 20s. Our experiences have shaped us and changed us, and a huge part of why we work as a couple is because of our past failures. We communicate well, we don’t take each other for granted, we know how to “fight fair”… all of those are things we never would’ve had in our relationship if we’d met in college. We’ve learned from our mistakes, you know? So I’m ok with the fact that we met later in life, because I know that the roads we traveled before play a huge part in what makes our relationship so solid now.

3. Law Momma
    October 27th, 2014 @ 9:58 am

Oh I’m okay that I didn’t meet him first because then I wouldn’t have J. I just wish I could go back now and relive all those fun times WITH him. Sort of like watching a movie of my life thus far and then having him watch it with me and insert his opinion and thoughts on what’s going on. I don’t think we would have liked each other all that much earlier on…

4. Ruth
    October 27th, 2014 @ 2:24 pm

This made my Monday. 😉 My husband and I were stupidly young when we got married, so our stories have intertwined for half our lives already. It doesn’t change the fact that I don’t think I will ever feel like I have spent enough time with him. Maybe when I’m a hundred.

5. Law Momma
    October 27th, 2014 @ 2:25 pm

Love is funny like that, right?! 🙂

6. TarynB
    November 3rd, 2014 @ 10:04 am

This post makes me so very happy for you!!! 🙂

7. Roxanne Piskel
    November 13th, 2014 @ 1:26 am

This is so, so, so amazing. I love every word, every emotion. And thank you for sharing this part of your life with us, your voyeurs.