Yellow Sheets

Posted on | April 18, 2011 | 21 Comments

I came home and put bright yellow sheets on my bed.

It wasn’t on purpose; my standard white sheets were in need of a wash and these were stuffed in the back of a closet.   When I saw them in the closet, I thought they’d make the bed, and maybe even the room a bit… cheerier.  They laid out in front of me like a promise of sunshine in the midst of winter.  I pulled them out and spread them against the dusty white of the mattress pad.

The color looked brighter on the bed than it had in the store.  I remember buying them, grabbing an on-sale set of sheets on one of those $100 trips to Target.  I remember thinking they were a crazy shade of yellow that would always make me laugh. I remember thinking He would hate them and hoping He would laugh with me, all tussled and snuggled in a banana split of a bed.

When I smoothed the wrinkles and carefully laid out the comforter, I sat for a while.  Just me and the soft stillness of the bed.  Just me and the cheerful, yellow sheets.

Just me and the half empty closet, hangers jutting out like the barest bone of his memory.

Comments

21 Responses to “Yellow Sheets”

1. Jana A
    April 18th, 2011 @ 12:50 am

Your life is going to be bright as Yellow. I hope there’s lots of sunshine in your future.

2. dearabbyleigh
    April 18th, 2011 @ 12:55 am

you whipped those words like a yellow sheet and buried me under them.

3. Miranda
    April 18th, 2011 @ 12:55 am

I ditto Jana. Lots of yellow and happiness for you.

4. Anne @ A JD + Three
    April 18th, 2011 @ 12:59 am

The sense of spirit that lead you to purchase those crazy yellow sheets will also lead you to happiness again. You will get there. Promise.

5. Krista
    April 18th, 2011 @ 1:11 am

Thinking of you & hoping for lots of good things to come. Keep your chin up. You can do this. You will feel the brightness and the sunshine again.

6. Jessica @ Raising an Owlet
    April 18th, 2011 @ 1:37 am

the end of this gave me chills. wishing you lots of sunshine in the future, Law Momma.

7. Mom on a Line
    April 18th, 2011 @ 2:43 am

I think Anne said it best above. I hope the happy yellow sheets are a start to more brightness in your life.

8. Nancy
    April 18th, 2011 @ 1:56 pm

My heart is hurting for you.
    *hugs*

April 18th, 2011 @ 2:56 pm

You have a beautiful sense of adventure in your banana split bed. That will lead you back to sunshine. Until then, have a banana split.

10. Casey
    April 18th, 2011 @ 3:15 pm

A beautiful post. I send love and hugs to you. Take a little strength from all the women you know and care about you (and there are more than you think there are) and you will have more than enough courage to get through all this. It’s so hard; I know because I’ve been there. You think the ache and constant thoughts will never stop, but I promise that you will get through this and be stronger and wiser in the end. I don’t actually know you, but I send you love, hope, courage and healing from one strong kick ass woman to another strong kick ass mother! You can do this….and we are all here if you need us.

11. Jennifer
    April 18th, 2011 @ 3:25 pm

And now you can put whatever color sheets on the bed you want. Without the fear of being laughed at.

12. KristinaYellow
    April 18th, 2011 @ 5:24 pm

I have always loved yellow-when I was little, I called it sunshine. You can never have too much sunshine in your life-and I hope those sheets are only the start of many sunny days!

13. Adrienne
    April 19th, 2011 @ 12:10 am

Yellow is an excellent color for sheets.

I’m here, waiting to love and support you any way I can.

14. krlr
    April 19th, 2011 @ 12:22 am

hugs.
    Many many hugs.

15. Natalie
    April 19th, 2011 @ 1:05 am

Keep surrounding yourself with yellow sheets & sunshine and eventually the rest of you will get there too.

::hugs::

16. StrugglingForEverAfter
    April 19th, 2011 @ 2:29 am

(Sniff) Sending good energy to you and J. Enjoy the sunshine.

17. molly
    April 19th, 2011 @ 3:14 am

girlie, did you change your feed? It hasn’t been coming across on my reader for some time now and I’d thought you’d quit blogging! Glad I checked it out.

I’m so sorry for the hurt and pain you’re going through. I really wish there was something, anything, I could do to make you feel better.

Just know I’ve thought about you and I’m just hoping you’re well. Stay strong, bloggy friend.

18. Erin
    April 19th, 2011 @ 5:00 pm

you make your own sunshine sister! Just look at J:)

19. Cybil
    April 19th, 2011 @ 6:19 pm

I am so sorry… I have no words…

20. Maija @ Maija's Mommy Moments
    April 20th, 2011 @ 10:37 am

I agree with the others – you are destined for happiness, yellow sheets and all!

21. - Law-Momma.com
    December 2nd, 2011 @ 9:15 am

[…] yellow sheets in the back of a closet that had never been used.  I placed them on the bed and reminisced about what I thought when I bought those sheets and how so much had changed since then.  I wept for […]